Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 74 Plymouth Valiant Brougham with severe negative camber. The inside inch of the front tires wears out very quickly, tires leaning in @ the tops when viewed head on. Spent hundreds at tire shop & problem still there. They said they'd have it aligned on the rack, but when they drove it around & put it back on the rack, the car was out of alignment again! Said they couldn't figure out why. No more $ to throw away, so I want to adjust the camber myself. How do I proceed? I'm guessing I can adjust the upper control arms, but how? Do I need to adjust the longitudinal torsion bars too? If so how? I have a Haynes manual & little knowledge in this area, just teaching myself as I go along as I can't afford a real mechanic. So any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Btw, this is my 1st post- Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Take a hard look at the lower control arm bushings; the ones directly in line with the Torsion bars. They can be hard to see, trust me.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Yes, most likely lower control arm bushings. Also check upper and lower ball joints for play.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If it's that bad it's probably time to just rebuild the front suspension. Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, bushings.

I had a similar problem with my Cordoba and that effort paid off.

Had I had a shop do it, it would have been about $800 ten years ago. We did it ourselves because my dad had experience with his '73 Charger SE. It certainly wasn't fun, and getting the upper ball joints out was a real pain (leave the arms on the car, use either a breaker bar with cheater bar or else air) but doable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts