Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got almost 12,000 miles on my 2011 T&C Touring-L, and the brakes are starting to act up, as seems to be a common problem on the 2008-2012 vans.

They work ok when cool, but in the hot weather we've been having here around Chicago this summer, they seem to overheat and lose braking power. I've got black brake dust, mostly covering the rears wheels, even only a day after washing the van, and although they aren't worn out yet, the loss of braking power when they are used any more than very gently in hot weather is alarming and I'm thinking of doing some pre-emptive work on them by replacing the stock rotors and pads with something better than what Chrysler put on these vans.

Anyone have any suggestions for after-market rotors and pads?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Check with your dealer. The Journey brakes are the same set up and there was an extended warranty issued on the Journey's ($100 deductible). If you are under 12,000 miles, the base warranty will cover your brakes. Brakes are considered a wear item and are only warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The new pads have been revised over the old pads a couple of times. The original problem, from what I heard was a vendor who didn't compress the lining mixture enough which caused rapid wear and black wheels.
Brake noise and dust is an industry-wide issue and probably THE #1 complaint in the service dept.
If you go aftermarket, I have overall liked the ceramic linings for long life, quiet operation and very little dust on the wheels.
Brake science has been very difficult to strike a balance since asbestos has been reduced or eliminated. Hard linings are tough on rotors, prone to squeal, but last a long time (usually longer than the rotors) and emit less hazardous dust into the air (and onto the wheels). Soft linings wear quickly, create lots of dust, but are usually quiet and gentle on rotors.
Metallic pads are hard, semi-metallic have advantages and disadvantages. Ceramic pad prices have fallen and are competitive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_lining

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
The new pads have been revised over the old pads a couple of times. The original problem, from what I heard was a vendor who didn't compress the lining mixture enough which caused rapid wear and black wheels.
IC - that's exactly what the dealer service writer told me when we had to have our previous '09 Journey's front pads serviced at 22K miles. Eventually Chrysler reimbursed me in full via goodwill claim. This was just before the letter regarding the extended warranty on the front brakes came out. The brake dust lessened considerably with the new "improved" pads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts