Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped in at a parts store just before I crossed the border. The last auxillary relay had just failed so I bought a replacement. Now, a year later it too has failed. Ten dollars down the tubes. Twelve amp NO load. Bosch STYLE relay. FIVE RELAYS IN THREE YEARS? Gimme a break!!

Yet again i opened up the relay. SOLID RUST. Disgusting. It does not rain here. And the car gets washed once a month. The relay is well away from the hood combing and there is ZERO evidence of rust on nearby plated fasteners. Unplug the relay and the prongs are green. The relay interior is disgusting, not coated with rust, globs of rust like rust colored mud.

GARBAGE!

Lucky for me I had a friend bring down a half-dozen TYCO relays which have supplanted the original Bosch relays, They seemed to be SEALED. But I took no chances and when they arrived i saturated them with a wax like electrical corrosion inhibitor. Four coats. We're talking THICK.

Is there an ALTERNATIVE PROVEN brand that I could rely on? Something SEALED with the Bosch/Tyco pin layout? Some of the failed relays were the SHROUDED type, with a skirt, and yes they are mounted with the pins beneath not upside down.

Reling on an overpriced "People's Revolutionary Army Factory Serene Honorable Hummingbird" relay to prevent an aluminum engine from overheating has gotten old.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I don't know what kind of relay you bought for $10, but I'd suggest that is the problem. In most parts of the US, a decent quality automotive relay costs $20 to $30.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
I don't know how 'sealed' a relay should be. It may have to 'breathe' and vent as gases (like ozone) that are produced by contact sparks. The plastic covers are not air-tight. The PDC lid should offer sufficient underhood splash protection and should be in place.
Quality factory relays generally have a long life and even outlast the car. When I visit a salvage yard, I usually also grab some spare fuses, relays and bulbs for my junk drawer. The same relay may be used across many different years, makes and model lines.

·
Registered
227 Posts
A while back i was doing some work on my van, and noticed something resting inside my vertical bumperette. It was a Bosch relay, made in Germany.

The blades were all white and green. It was covered in dried mud and other crusties. I don't know how or why it got there. I figure the previous owner had lost it, over 10 years ago.

Anyway I knew my stock ASD relay was on its last legs, after one no start, I pulled out my cheap hi beam relay and plugged it in and drove home.

When home, I took out my old crusty Bosch relay and filed the contacts shiny.

It has been working fine. I see Bosch relays on Amazon. Thinking about replacing my high and low beam cheapo's with some quality

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Cole-Hersee makes reasonably priced relays in sealed or unsealed styles that I have had very good luck with.They come with diodes, resistors and none in capacities up to 40 ampswith 70 amp unsealed available is some styles. They are available at better (usually not the big name) stores.

·
Registered
647 Posts
try using a tilt/trim relay from a 90,s-early 2000,s Johnson/Evinrude motor, basicly any with electric tilt like a 70 horse, 90,115,150 etc, it dosn't matter, they use the same relay for up and down, they are a plug in style and five pin I beleive, I own a marine parts store, these are very good relays, somewhat water proof, (not submersible)and they sell for about $20.00, I can get you a part number if you want, I just cant remember it, Mercury also makes a similar one used for years that is hooded and comes with a mounting tab with hole and about the same price

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
I can tell you that car relays don't work worth a cuss on the tilt and trim.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's on the other side of the car from the battery and ORIGINAL Bosch style relays that are what (?) 20-years old...

Down here, the word relay means Ford fender mounted intermittant duty starter solenoid.

Yes I would appreciate any and all part numbers and recommendations so as to order online. When the market owner makes another 1,400 mile run to the border he can pick them up at my mailbox there.

I wonder why THIS relay, the relay, not shiny finish el cheapo factory plated fasteners, the shiny scratch the fender liner got a year ago, or none of the exposed wire termnals have corroded. Only the relay. All of them of different appearence.

·
Registered
647 Posts
586224 is the johnson/evinrude part number I was referring to, available at any johnson/evinrude dealer, about 20 bucks each

1 - 11 of 11 Posts