Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota pickup (3.9L) with 215k miles. It has an Aisin 5 spd tranny. Overall, it shifts pretty well and I changed the fluid last summer. My complaint is that when I am parked and try to put it into reverse, it is very difficult to pull out of 1st gear and then hard to get back into reverse. It seems that the reverse shaft is turning because often you will get some gear noise. I am wondering whether the throw-out bearing is worn and not fully disengaging the clutch input. Remember that this is a hydraulic system and no way to adjust.

Any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
This could very easily be a clutch issue. The hydraulics do wear out and leak internally. This prevents full disengagement of the clutch plate.
This will cause stiff 1st and reverse (lower gears) shifting particularly. Sometimes, but not always pumping the pedal may help.
If these are the original hydraulics, they are likely failing. Look for Mopar part # 52107625.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little more information. We changed the clutch, etc about 120k miles. It may well be getting near another one. However, the clutch has shown no slippage, etc. It is also interesting that when the weather cools a bit, the shifting seems to work smoother. As the weather warms, it seems that the difficulty to get the shift out of 1st is higher. I love this little truck, but it is getting really old and I am getting tired of repairing all of the things that have and continue to go wrong. However, if I could do the clutch repair for minimal cash outlay, then I would consider it.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
Mechanical clutch problems are possible also. I've had warped clutch discs or clutch discs that are stuck on the input shaft have issues where they wouldn't fully disengage with the clutch pedal fully depressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts