Allpar Forums banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
The economics of actually producing an EV didn't stack up until about last year, but that didn't stop FCA developing them. 500e is the first delivery from a development project that started at least five years ago.
My memory might be a bit fuzzy, but I think I remember SM commenting frequently about how
an OEM could not build a business case for selling EV's profitably.

I don't think I ever remember him saying that FCA would stop R & D on the technology. He had to have known what direction the EU would be heading in...and it stands to reason that he would have wanted FCA to be prepared.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
First detailed review in English (from a German reviewer; there was a press-day in Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago).

all-new Fiat 500 FULL REVIEW The 2021 EV surprise! Convertible vs Hatch vs 3+1 - YouTube

Very positive overall. It's worth finding the same reviewer's review of the Volkswagen ID.3: he finds a lot of things to complain about. The other German-speaking reviewers I've seen have been very positive about this car so far. ("a perfect city-car", another described it as "a boot up the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] for the competition")

UK sales open in December, so that's when the bulk of English-language reviews will be posted online.

·
Registered
42 Posts
First detailed review in English (from a German reviewer; there was a press-day in Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago).

all-new Fiat 500 FULL REVIEW The 2021 EV surprise! Convertible vs Hatch vs 3+1 - YouTube

Very positive overall. It's worth finding the same reviewer's review of the Volkswagen ID.3: he finds a lot of things to complain about. The other German-speaking reviewers I've seen have been very positive about this car so far. ("a perfect city-car", another described it as "a boot up the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] for the competition")

UK sales open in December, so that's when the bulk of English-language reviews will be posted online.
Thanks for post. I like the reviewer- a logical way about him. Very different than British reviews.
I think this car will sell well in the US- I know many will disagree with me however

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The autonomous driving, driver safety assistace and infotainment systems in 500e are the same as those that will be offered in Compass MCA, WL Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer. FCA is rolling these features out across the whole portfolio (even the entry-priced FIAT Tipo has the same 10.25" uConnect 5 as an option).

The USA may not get 500e itself but a lot of the good stuff you see in 500e will be available in the USA. I still think it's 50/50 for 500e arriving in the USA - its price is against it now that the most generous EV subsidies have dried up, but the previous car was really positively received by its owners, and this one improves on every aspect of that one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like the update, but probably not a state-side vehicle, right?
Correct. As of right now, it is not intended for the US. However, given the amount of safety features, and the rise in demand for EVs stateside, this COULD make it to the US with very little updates required. Especially since it is bigger than the present 500.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like it. Can't wait for the updated Abarth version.
Dont hold your breath...at least not for one coming to the US, sadly. Abarth could easily make this a ROCKET! But, these things are already kinda pricey. But with the incentives the Uk and EU are giving out these days for EVs and their efforts of thwarting ICE systems, we could very well see a demand for electric pocket-rockets such as an Abarth EV 500

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
larger. But mostly for rear volume and the batteries
No, there's more internal space too. The track has been widened by approximately 6cm which gives greater elbow-room up front, and the seats are redesigned to give better headroom. Wheelbase is longer too, but this space increase has been given mostly to the front passengers. Rear legroom is largely as it was, and rear compartment storage remains at 185 litres, same as the ICE model.

The roofline is higher to keep proportions the same, and while the floor is also slightly higher because of the batteries, it only steals a couple of centimetres. Overall cabin interior height is slightly improved.

E is height. All dimensions in mm. If you want inches, you'll have to divide by 25.4 yourself, as I'm busy at the moment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for that info !! I knew it was bigger somewhere, but couldnt remember the exact details. Now what about the 3 door model (technically 4 doors...1 driver, 2 passenger and a hatch)? Did that increase in size at all or was it just so weird voodoo magic on cutting the passenger door a bit and eating into the quarter panel?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Thanks for that info !! I knew it was bigger somewhere, but couldnt remember the exact details. Now what about the 3 door model (technically 4 doors...1 driver, 2 passenger and a hatch)? Did that increase in size at all or was it just so weird voodoo magic on cutting the passenger door a bit and eating into the quarter panel?
All versions of 500 are exactly the same size. Moreover, the front door of the 3+1 is exactly the same size as on other versions. It's a clever bit of design, and it really does open up the car: it gives better rear-seat access than in cars that are two size-classes bigger (note the word "access": there's still less room back there, but getting passengers and things in and out will be way easier)

·
Registered
184 Posts
"The shortlist of seven nominations for Car of the Year 2021 has been announced, chosen from 29 eligible candidates.

The seven finalists are the Citroën C4, Cupra Formentor, Fiat 500, Land Rover Defender, Skoda Octavia, Toyota Yaris and Volkswagen ID 3."

161 - 173 of 173 Posts