Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
From the article:

Stellantis is adding 10 new models this year for a total of 39 electrified nameplates. The company has more than 110 nameplates across its 14 brands.

Fiat Chrysler had been seen as a laggard in the EV space. Between 2018 and 2020, the Italian-American automaker spent $26.8 billion (22.4 billion euros) on product development and production in electrification, Giorgio Fossati, Stellantis' general counsel, said Thursday.

FCA spent almost $27 billion on product development in the last 3 years for what?

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
This is important:

Tavares also underscored Stellantis' commitment to control around 80% of battery-electric vehicles' value, which is more than the automaker has of vehicles it makes with internal combustion engines. The concept borrows from the first automotive century's golden age when automakers controlled key parts of assembly and component production in what the industry called "vertical integration." Stellantis will share more details on batteries and its strategy during an electrification day on July 8.

Reactions: tlc

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
From the article:

Stellantis is adding 10 new models this year for a total of 39 electrified nameplates. The company has more than 110 nameplates across its 14 brands.

Fiat Chrysler had been seen as a laggard in the EV space. Between 2018 and 2020, the Italian-American automaker spent $26.8 billion (22.4 billion euros) on product development and production in electrification, Giorgio Fossati, Stellantis' general counsel, said Thursday.

FCA spent almost $27 billion on product development in the last 3 years for what?
9 billion a year. Well, some of that went to Jeep and Ram. But that wouldn't account for wherever the remaining money went. Which by the way would be the lion's share of the 9 billion a year. For some reason, a Mark Twain quote comes to mind here.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
9 billion a year. Well, some of that went to Jeep and Ram. But that wouldn't account for wherever the remaining money went. Which by the way would be the lion's share of the 9 billion a year.
World 14 answered that for you quite well, though with the quotation marks he may not have intended to actually do so.
"Inferior" products that never saw the light of day, obviously.
Right, like Tonale that just got sent back to the drawing board for a redo. Plus those that did see the light of day like the Fiat new 500 with a new platform that has less range and interior room and costs more than the e-208.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Right, like Tonale that just got sent back to the drawing board for a redo. Plus those that did see the light of day like the Fiat new 500 with a new platform that has less range and interior room and costs more than the e-208.
[/QUOTE]

Highway driving penalizes the 500e more than other vehicles, it's urban cycle range is of 400km. not bad for a 42kWh battery.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2018 Ram 2500
183 Posts
We purchased a new car in the fall of 2020, and we really would have liked to buy a BEV or PHEV. Our budget was up to 50k and we were looking for 300 to 400-mile range. Currently, the EVs that are available are either undesirable (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt), limited range, or are too expensive.

I'm hoping when it comes to buying the next vehicle in a couple of years we will be able to buy a BEV.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
430 Posts
Yeah, it's "inferior" because everyone here can build better cars for cheap with better preserved quality then Toyota with a better warranty then Hyundai/Kia & Mitsubishi.
"Inferior" doesn't sell, from what I can tell reading this forum.
Which begs the question why there's so many cars on sale right now. The Tonale is inferior to a Peugeot that's inferior to a VW. VW sells more, why should there be any other products?

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
In a related story, Stellantis has reached a contractual purchasing agreement with the world's largest manufacturer of extension cords.
My leaf blower, edge trimmer, and hedge trimmer are all electric...corded electric. Soooooooo...I guess my future Gladiator could be corded too! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the Stellantis Frame EV platform, I think their 311 mile range goal is underwhelming. I’m guessing that’d be the one for the Ram EV. With possible production starting in 2024. So it’d be a 2025 MY? With many more EV pick ups coming before this Ram EV, that 311 number doesn’t look too great in my opinion. Unless that’d be the base version and there would be higher options. For comparison:

Hummer pickup is 350+ miles
Rivian has an option of 400+
Cybertruck has an option of 500+
Silverado EV pickup is said to promise 400+
Ford F-150 Range is unknown

On a side note... Rivian and Cybertruck have lesser range options as well.

The 435 mile range and 497 mile range on medium and large platforms sound very promising though. As long as they are somewhat “affordable” and not too totally out of people’s price range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's really a weight verse range debate. 300 mile range is what most automakers target for gas powered engines. If they increase the range on a vehicle that's going to be added battery weight and decreased weight on other things.
The other issue with EVs is that when it becomes more mainstream, several disadvantages become evident. The increased electrical demand and the increased demand for Lithium. In a state like CA, they have the excess electricity in the daytime but that's when all these vehicles will be in use. Nighttime brown outs may begin to happen.
This is why a Diesel Electric hybrid would be more preferential in my view. The issue here is cost and weight.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It's really a weight verse range debate. 300 mile range is what most automakers target for gas powered engines. If they increase the range on a vehicle that's going to be added battery weight and decreased weight on other things.
The other issue with EVs is that when it becomes more mainstream, several disadvantages become evident. The increased electrical demand and the increased demand for Lithium. In a state like CA, they have the excess electricity in the daytime but that's when all these vehicles will be in use. Nighttime brown outs may begin to happen.
This is why a Diesel Electric hybrid would be more preferential in my view. The issue here is cost and weight.
The issues are cost, weight, emissions and fuel availability. This is why gasoline PHEV are a superior solution for cars to Diesel PHEV, and all the other options.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
What will happen when electric becomes mainstream and you still require lubricants, diesel fuel, jet fuel, and such.
Gasoline is a byproduct of the process of refining oil so will gasoline become less expensive because it's not required in the same quantity as now?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What will happen when electric becomes mainstream and you still require lubricants, diesel fuel, jet fuel, and such.
Gasoline is a byproduct of the process of refining oil so will gasoline become less expensive because it's not required in the same quantity as now?
Of course. That means absent government intervention cars will be burning gasoline for a long time to come. This is why the gasoline PHEV is the right way to go. Run on whichever fuel is cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
32,331 Posts
This is not accurate at all. Per EIA info, there is a morning and an evening peak. The chart below shows the seasonal changes in demand, and clearly daytime prevails as the highest usage period. Beyond 8 pm year-round, demand drops off. Moreover, usage patterns are similar in most areas of the country.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts