Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been wanting a Van ever since our twins cam home lasted year, but just never looked. The boys are now 15mons and we have another on the way.... We need more room then our Journey can provide. I really love Journey, but I need more space.

However, the sales manager and could not come too an agreement on my Jounrey trade in. So no deal, after this he left in his Ford Crown Vic...

We where looking at this Town & Country L with almost everything, I love the tan interior! As of now we are on the hunt!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been looking at some Caravans, I notice that very few have the rear DVD system and the ones that do have it do not have 6disk changer. Can the changer be added after the fact? The price's on caravans are much better then the T&C. Plus I kinda like the R/T.

Another observation, it seems you cannot get the 430N with Garmin any more? What happen?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
We rented a 2011 Caravan last year for driving vacation to the Grand Canyon and back. It did have the DVD player but I don't think it had a multi-disk changer (is that really necessary?). These are nice driving vehicles.

Since that trip, my wife has hinted that she would like to buy a used one. At this time, Hertz is not interested in selling their used ones yet in our area but we are keeping our eyes open for the possibility that an individual will be selling a low mileage one.

I'm thinking.... if we are going to spend that much money, why not just buy a camper conversion van; perhaps a Sprinter or similar. We could go pretty cheap and do a lot of camping at the National Forest campgrounds. :)

Actually, when we were raising 3 boys, we had one of the early Chrysler mini's. They were tight and not luxurious like todays vans, but it sure beat a station wagon. :glare:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why do you need a CD changer? Go with an Ipod or similar device. CD's are so last century! Seriously, I have a changer in the trunk of my '98 Passat and I have not used it in three years. I just use my Ipod with a small FM transmitter from Walmart and a lighter plug USB charger and roll. All my CD's (the songs I want to hear off of them, anyway) are in the Ipod as well as just about everything else I would want to have on hand. And an Ipod rig can be used in any car you are driving.

Go with the DVD player - we have a portable one and it is indespensible for long road trips with the kids!

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Why do you need a CD changer?
The 6 disc DVD changer (REQ) will play back DVD-R's full of MP3's... in theory, it will hold more music than a MyGig, assuming you can get it to read dual layer discs. I haven't had a lot of luck with the dual layer media.

Of course, lack of random play and poor navigation through the folders will still be a problem. Just something to consider if you don't want to bring the iPod out to the van each time.

To the OP - just grab a high speed REQ off eBay and it should be plug and play, though I can't guarantee it unless you get a van between 2008-2010. There are rumors the high speed bus changed in the newest vans, but it's hard to tell for sure. Note that you can get them both with and without satellite - make sure you get the appropriate one for your van. You will lose your backup camera with these decks, but the rear VES should still work fine.

Also, these decks don't have built in u-connect... there may be some complications there if your van has that feature. They rely on an outboard u-connect module instead.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be for DVDs, right now boys love watching baby einstein, but shows are about 20-30 min so it's nice to able switch while we are driving. We have REU.

So I just rilezed, on the 08+ vans, that the additional DVD player is only one disk....

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you all think of this van?

http://www.selmachryslerdodgejeepram.net/new/Dodge/2012-Dodge-Grand+Caravan-Selma-CA-ff295cb50a0d048e019c1dc471fdaf2d.htm#

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That is a real nice van the only thing I would worry about is a black on black car with small kids the heat that thing will hold in summer will be insane.
Mick

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it will be hot, but it does have remote start and it will spend most of the time in the garage, as our Journey does. My wife stays home with the kiddos.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Aaahhhh you have one of those garage things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts