Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, couldn't wait for Bob to start this one. I am so utterly Psyched out for this, I had to go ahead and start it. Aplogies if I overstepped, I just can't help my self. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Road America. This one is a biggie. Road America is a pride track. All teams will be prepped and ready for this one; expect good racing.

It's going to be on ABC-TV.

The Orion Energy Systems 245, is race six of ten in the 2013 American LeMans Racing Series, and it will be held on August Ninth and Tenth, in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, at the famed Road America circuit. Ro-Am, as many racers call it, is 4.048 Miles long, and has one of the longer straights in racing. Even with this long a straight, the cars really shouldn't be reaching their top speeds, so we should not see a repeat of LeMans. The track tends to favor cars with good balance, and an abundance of torque and aerodynamic downforce.

The Vipers are expected to do well here, like in the last race at Mosport (in Canada). This track suits the Viper very well, and once again, expect the Corvette's to do well. With the very literal door to door finish at Mosport, Team Riley Motorsports will be wanting some Corvette for dinner this round. This will be the Viper GTS-R's second race at RoAm since returning to competition (its first was during the 2012 season).

Race Length: 2 hours 45 Minutes

Friday, August 9, 2013
Practice 1: 11:50 a.m.-12:50 p.m.

Practice 2: 4-5 p.m.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Qualifying: 9:40-11 a.m.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pre-Race: 1-2 p.m.

ALMS Race: 2-4:45 p.m.

Television Broadcast:
ABC TV: Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 3:00pm, EDT (RoAm is in Central BTW)

Live Qualifying:

ESPN3 on XBox Live, Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 10:45am, EDT

*Like all ALMS races, this race will be featured on XBox Live, on the ESPN3 channel. An Xbox Live Gold membership is required. For those Allparians with Xbox360's, and the bandwidth, I have found this to be the best place to watch the race. I "party up" with my XBL friends to watch it, and we discuss the race as it happens. This is in spite of our geographic separation (8 people max in an XBL party).

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
And you didn't think you could contribute time to be a reporter, Hmmm???

Anyway, Dave is working on a plan for MoparBob to report the race action LIVE from Road America!

I wasn't going to spill the beans but since Muther has started this race post a week early, might as well let everyone know now.

The plan for me to go report on the race is not set in stone yet as we are still working on obtaining press passes.

If I don't receive a press pass, this means I would not be able to obtain driver & team interviews, I will still be going to report on the race itself & what I see at the track & in the paddock area.

Hemi Magnum & Mike V will be on board to assist in any media or pictures I obtain to present here on Allpar.com.

That is the plan for now but it may change as we move into next week.

If you really want to get EXCLUSIVE material here on Allpar.com for this race, please let Dave know, via PM, to help get MoparBob a press pass & that you want this type of coverage!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
mopar22 said:
Can't be doing things like this. Got my hopes up thinking it was this weekend
No kidding, I was like, "O_O what the..." I've never grabbed my planner so quick as right now to check the dates :lol:

I can understand the excitement though; it's going to be quite the special race. With Bob possibly attending (fingers crossed!) as well as Chrysler employees (according to Mr. Source), it'll be quite the venue for Vipers to score their maiden victory.

Since we're a bit early, it's a good time to take a look back at the first part of the season from Gilles' perspective:
At the halfway point of our first full season with the SRT Viper GTS-R, it seems like a good time to reflect on what we've accomplished so far, and maybe adjust our goals given our recent experience. Well, to be honest, I think we're right on track. In the American Le Mans Series, we've scored two pole positions, we're fighting for podium finishes and we've also made our return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I think the potential of this car is pretty clear.

When the invitation arrived for Le Mans back in February, the entire team was immediately consumed by it because, given our history there, we certainly wanted to throw our resources into this opportunity. But to run at Le Mans requires a different spec of engine, slightly different setup, different transmission and gear ratios, and so on. It's really quite different from a three- or four-hour sprint race, so there was a lot of work to do.

Getting both cars to the finish and in the top 10 in the GTS-R's first 24-hour race was very satisfying. Fellow competitors and motorsport fans – people who know what it takes to succeed at this level – were very complimentary about how we performed. What made the result bittersweet was that the issues we had were very small. There were no powertrain problems at all, for instance. We had two tire punctures, some stones flew into our alternator belt which had us puzzled for a bit, and we had some broken hood pins. They're the kind of minor things that leave you thinking, “Without those issues where might we have finished?”

But, I have to say, I am especially pleased with the way Le Mans crowd welcomed us back. I did a lot of walking among the fans, wearing my SRT gear, and people immediately made the connection between SRT, the Viper and Chrysler Group. I could also tell by the fans' interactions during the pit walk that they were massively enthusiastic about our return, recalling the Vipers' victories more than a decade ago. They love the so-called “Yankee” element in the race, it's part of Le Mans tradition, and we were made to feel very welcome.

After Le Mans wrapped up, we barely had time to catch our breath before Lime Rock was up next, and so we felt a top-five finish was good in the circumstances. But the recent race at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park was where we felt the season really restarted. Going in, we felt it would be a strong track for the Viper – downforce heavy and running three of four drivers who had substantial experience at this the track – but it was great to get confirmation of that. We got our second pole position of the season (from Jonathan Bomarito who was racing there for the first time!) and then our first double-podium finish, after one of the most thrilling GT class battles I've ever seen.

We're 100 percent focused on these next races, and I feel the team is going to put on a good show. And yes, it would be a dream to score a win at the Baltimore Grand Prix, as SRT is the presenting sponsor.

Certainly, we've had some challenges this season but the potential of the Viper GTS-R is there for all to see. I also love what I'm hearing consistently from our drivers – that the car is a pleasure to drive. They're not struggling with it, it's not beating them up and that's important: a physically- or mentally tired driver won't be able to give his best throughout a stint.
Read more at Racer.com

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, I apologize for starting early, but I just couldn't wait, especially after the Mosport round. It is not often the last half of the race is so close, and then for the race to come down to less than a car length? I am totally geekin' out over this.

Road America:

From my experience.

From turn 14, the last corner, all the way to the braking points for turn 5, the "power cars", like the Viper, and Vette, will be faster. They'll be using their torque and DF advantage. From turn 5 through to the exit of the carrousel, turn 10, the "handlers" (think Z4, 458) will have an advantage, and can make up time. However, from the carrousel's exit, through the kink, and into 12, the power cars will walk away from the handlers. It is totally flat out, lettin' all hang loose through the kink.

The big torque coming off turn 10 for Viper and 'Vette, and their high downforce, and they will walk away from the others. The speed of of the Porsches could come into play, however. Milner and Fahrnbacher are likely to go head to head again, and if they are close, the action at the kink will be very interesting. The Vipers will absolutely be at the ragged edge of their limits through it, trying to gain tenths.

Going into turn 12, Canada, the "handlers" will once again have more speed through Thunder Valley, into turn 13 (Bill Mitchell), and into the 14. 14 is a very tricky corner. It is an uphill, off camber, 90 degree right hander. As you apex, it drops off, and you crest a small hill. If you get it wrong, your mowing grass. Downforce isn't on full yet, so traction can be an issue. Then it is a drag race down the main, past the Finish, and back into 1.

Porsches can do well here, but to tell the truth, I don't know a lot about them. I know they can carry tons of speed though. The Ferrari's won in 2011, and the Beemers (M3's) won in 2012 (Z4's this year).

·
10,011 Posts
It's official!!!!

Motorsports News Section Moderator & assistant ALMS race reporter MoparBob will be on assignment to cover this race Sunday August 11th!

Hemi Magnum will cover the race here on Allpar with assistance from Mike V., Muther, & Mr Source! MoparBob will be at the track gathering stories, interviews, pictures & video to be put up here on Allpar.com.

All media obtained will be given to Hemi Magnum & Mike V. to transcribe to the website & must be put up immediately to keep or readers informed of the LIVE action at Road America.

We will cover BOTH SRT Motorsports & the Ferrari Teams!

We will show no bias when we report & present our media coverage!

Thanks go out to Dave Zatz & the members here for giving MoparBob this opportunity to cover this race LIVE!

Any questions form the reporting staff here should address MoparBob immediately via Allpar PM or Phone Call/Text to clear up any confusion or address additional ideas.

Thank you.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Have fun Bob!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Goodmorning. Looking forward to this race, am sure the Vipers & SRT motorsports will have a great outing & moparbob have a fantastic time I'm sure your reporting will be better than ever if that's possible enjoy.Mopar always

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RoAm is a great track. I will be anxious to see them all go at it. Don't count anyone out here, though. This is one of the team's, fan's, and driver's favorite tracks. It will be on National TV. It is a big race in ALMS. Everyone will be prepped and ready to go for this one. It should be a great race from flag to flag. I really can't see it being as close as Mosport was, though. That is one for the history books.

Even though, this track favors our car (and the 'Vette), the Ferrari's and Beemer's have a proven record of winning at this venue (The Rahal/Letterman/Lanigan team does, in the old M3E92, the Z4 is new this year, and proven already to be fast). Competition will be tight. Porshe, though they have not won recently here, have been the bridesmaids more than they would like, and they will be wanting a win.

As far where to watch from, if you can get there thursday, do a lap or two of the track in your car, and be observant (be safe, too). There really isn't a bad spot to watch from, turn 5, and Canada, are the most popular, pro'ly. There is a place near the exit of the Carrousel where you can also see the Kink, that is also very good. Start/Finish ain't bad either. Been a while since I been there, but not much has changed, other than sponsors on the Bridges. Since you will be i nthe pits, and have access to the talent, I would suggest asking them where to watch from.

Heck, you are representing Allpar.com. They could pull one out of their behind and say, "watch it from our pit."

Definitely try to talk to Fahrny and Milner about their battle at Mosport. Nobody in the press has captured the intensity of that battle yet, and it was one of the great ones, belive me. The last fifteen minutes were rivetting, the last two laps were amazing, and the final lap... words fail me (and that's ME talking).

Getting them together to discuss it would be a real scoop. Watch and read as many interviews as possible til then, to know what to, and what NOT to do. Interviewing is a real skill.

Eat a brat and drink an Old Style for me (if you drink, I don't anymore).

·
10,011 Posts
For those who have never been to Road America - this is the course layout - 4 miles in length.

(I have a lot of ground to cover for this race!)

·
10,011 Posts
Ferarri Team & Driver Entry List

Car # - Driver - Hometown

# 23 - Bill Sweedler - Westport, CT // Townsend Bell - San Luis Obispo, CA

Team Name: Team West/ AJR/ Boardwalk Ferrari Yokohama/ Battery Tender/ Boardwalk Ferrari/

Car Entered/Tires/Fuel: Ferrari F458 Italia - Ferrari - Yokohama - E-85

Sponsor: William Rast/ Motegi Racing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# 62 - Olivier Beretta - Monte Carlo, MC // Matteo Malucelli - Meldola, IT

Team Name: Risi Competizione

Sponsor: None

Car Entered/Tires/Fuel: Ferrari F458 Italia - Ferrari - Michelin - E-85

SRT Motorsports Team & Driver Entry List

Car # - Driver - Hometown

# 91 - Dominik Farnbacher - Ansbach, DE // Marc Goossens - Geel, BE

Sponsor: SRT Motorsports:

Car Entered/Tires/ Fuel: SRT Viper GTS-R Viper V-10 - Michelin - E-85

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# 93 - Jonathan Bomarito - Monterey, CA // Kuno Wittmer - Montreal, ON

Sponsor: SRT Motorsports & Pennzoil Ultra

Car Entered/Tires/Fuel: SRT Viper GTS-R Viper V-10 - Michelin - E-85

***Ryan Daziel & Tommy Kendall will not race in this event since it's only a 2 hour & 45 minute race!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Road America Week! W00T!!!

I have work scheduled for Sunday, but hopefully I'll be done by race time.

·
10,011 Posts
Could someone get us some news updates on the Ferarri teams? Can't find a new press release anywhere??

·
10,011 Posts
SRT Motorsports Press Release & Race Preview

Kuno Wittmer – No. 93 Pennzoil Ultra SRT Viper GTS-R

“We’ve definitely been carrying momentum since the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The team has been on a high since scoring a top five at Lime Rock and then scoring a double podium at Canadian Motorsports Park (Mosport). That was huge.

“Road America is a track that resembles Le Mans. As far as the straightaways go, you have two or three really long straights where we build a lot of speed. So, things that we learned in France, things that we learned on a simulator will apply at Road America very well. Overall, I think that the SRT Vipers will do very, very well there. It’s finally a track that we have data from 2012. That’s definitely going to be a benefit for us, a big plus in our pocket. The next race after that is Baltimore, so we have to be very cautious and careful that we don’t wad up the cars in qualifying or practice, that we finish the race properly and go for the win.”

HOW SPECIAL HAS IT BEEN TO SEE THIS PROGRAM DEVELOP FROM THE GROUND UP AND GET MORE COMPETITIVE EACH WEEK?

“It’s an honor to race with Bill Riley and SRT Motorsports day in and day out. We’re one family and the team is coming together nicely. Keep in mind this program started last year. What Bill Riley has done to form the team is a masterpiece. Being there since day one, yes, it’s definitely a big plus. I’ve seen everything developing and it’s all in a positive way. Everybody is putting in their time, everybody is turning the page properly and that’s what counts. It’s just moving ahead and the wins will come.”

HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE AT ROAD AMERICA?

“Actually I consider Road America my special home. I’ve had some great success there. I’ve won races there, I’ve won pole positions there and currently hold the track record there. So, it’s a place where I’ve had really, really good times and success. In 2009, it’s where I met the family I’m working with right now – SRT Motorsports. It was the first race I ever did in a GT car. It’s where I met Gary Johnson (SRT Motorsports Racing Manager) and Matt Bejnarowicz (SRT Motorsports Lead Engineer) and that’s basically where our journey started.”

THE GRAND-AM CARS ARE ALSO RACING AT ROAD AMERICA THIS WEEKEND. DOES THAT CREATE A DIFFERENT DYNAMIC TO THE WEEKEND?

“I think being the premier series so far in the first five rounds was very nice but we have to keep in mind that ’14 is the big picture and the wheel is slowly turning to having both championships combined. We’re going to be joining forces with Grand-Am next year so it’s really nice that we’re going to be together this weekend. It’ll be great to compare lap times even though there’s going to be minor changes to many of the classes for next year. Still, it’s good to meet some of the drivers, the teams and especially the fans that support Grand-Am and the fans that support ALMS.”

Jonathan Bomarito – No. 93 Pennzoil Ultra SRT Viper GTS-R

“Road America is an awesome track. It’s big, it’s four-miles long. It has every kind of corner that you can think of – hairpin, fast, flowing corners. It’s a really good track. I enjoy racing there, everybody does. It just has a nice flow to it and makes for some really good racing. You have to be good everywhere. You need to be fast on the straightaways so you’re constantly trying to take away downforce, drag, off the car. But then you have to get through all the high speed corners well that lead onto those straightaways. It’s a fine line, a compromise to find good balance, cornering speed and straightaway speed.”

ARE THERE ANY SIMILARITIES BETWEEN ROAD AMERICA AND MOSPORT?

“I think there’s a lot that can be taken from Mosport and transitioned to Road America. One good thing that we haven’t had up to this point this year is a track that the team has been to before. I wasn’t a part of the team at this stage last year but they got to run these cars on Road America last year, so we actually have some data to pull from which should help.”

YOU ENTER THE ROAD AMERICA RACE FRESH FROM MOSPORT WHERE THE TEAM HAD A STRONG CHANCE TO WIN THE RACE WITH BOTH CARS. THE PROGRAM IS GETTING MORE COMPETITIVE EACH WEEK. THAT MUST BE REWARDING FOR EVERYONE ON THE TEAM.

“I think it’s huge for everybody on the team. Everybody has worked so hard to get to this point and we’re starting to see the potential and reap some of those rewards – two cars on the podium, pole positions. All of those things are just good for everybody, they are rewards for all the hard work. I think we’re on the right track. Everybody is working harder than ever. That glimpse of everything going well and the opportunity to get our first win is pushing us very hard.”

SINCE THE MIDDLE PART OF THIS SEASON THE TEAM HAS RUN VERY WELL AND TAKEN A STEP TOWARD WINNING A RACE. DO YOU THINK THAT WAS BECAUSE OF TESTING AND DEVELOPMENT OR PERHAPS COMPETING AT LE MANS OR A COMBINATION OF EVERYTHING?

“I think it’s just a combination of everything. Every piece has to be right to be competitive in this class and the team has been working hard to get us to that point. It’s really a combination of everything. It’s not just one thing that clicked for us and now, all of sudden, we’re more competitive. It’s putting all the pieces together and all the detail work that goes into these programs that takes time.”

Marc Goossens – No. 91 SRT Viper GTS-R

WHAT IS KEY TO HAVING A GOOD RUN AT ROAD AMERICA?

“First of all, I want to point out this is the first track that we go back to. It’s one of the tracks that we participated at last year. Some of the data that we gathered last year has actually helped us in making all the progress that we did from August of last year until now. Hopefully, we can optimize all the information we got last year and apply it this weekend for a strong run.

“Road America is one of those tracks where you’ve got to like the combination of high speed corners and low speed corners. It’s a race track that’s looks very similar to some of the European tracks. It’s a great challenge. I think the key word for us as a team needs to be consistency. I see the strong run that we had at Le Mans. So far this year, the Viper GTS-R has been in the top five in every single race in the American Le Mans Series. Unfortunately, our car had an issue at Lime Rock but had a strong showing last race. I think we’ve got a good show going on right now and we need to build on it, keep finishing in the points and try to get the No. 91 and No. 93 back up front.”

COMMENT ON FINDING THE DELICATE BALANCE AT ROAD AMERICA BETWEEN DOWNFORCE AND DRAG. HOW DIFFICULT IS THAT TO ACHIEVE?

“Of course you need to find that balance but where that fine line is depends on what you’re trying to achieve. You can go for straight-line speed and give up some of the cornering speed and lap time in the corners because you know you’re going to catch up down the straightaways. I think here, it’s very important that we have the right communication prior to the race. We need to have the pre-race meetings, debriefs and all that in order to know what our objectives are for the weekend. As long as everybody knows and we’re heading in the same direction, I’m sure we can maximize what we try to achieve on the track.”

CAN YOU PUT IN PERSPECTIVE HOW FAR THIS TEAM HAS COME IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME?

“We’ve come very far. If you look back at where we were a year ago at races at Mid-Ohio and Road America, we were struggling. It was a very young program. We had to deal with a lot of issues at the same time but I think it shows the people that were chosen to be on the team has been right from the start.

“I think a lot of credit there goes to Bill Riley for putting a great team together. Everybody knew what we were there for and I think drivers, engineers, mechanics, everybody has been going in the same direction. First, we had to deal with small issues like heat inside the car. After we got that out of the way, we started proving that sometimes we had some speed, sometimes we made it to the end of the race. We showed some strength and speed; the pace was there. After that, the reliability came and before we actually realized it, our hard work was paying off with consistency.

“If you look back at Sebring, after a winter of hard work, you saw more progress. I think Sebring was the first showing. And then we confirmed that progress at Long Beach and had a good run at Laguna, although I have to admit that maybe that (Laguna Seca) was one of the weak showings we’ve had so far this year.

“A lot of it has to do with balance of performance. Look at the results we’ve had recently. I mean if you go back to Mosport, Lime Rock, Le Mans and Sebring, the results confirm we’ve all been working very hard to bring our program to this level. We’re on that wave. If it’s up to me, I don’t want to quit that wave. I want to stay on it and I can’t see any reason we can’t and why we shouldn’t be competitive at Road America.”

Dominik Farnbacher – No. 91 SRT Viper GTS-R

“We have pretty good momentum going after the last race at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport). The whole team is happy. You should have seen all the e-mail traffic. That’s very good for us. We needed that, we needed that motivation kick. Now, the last step we can make is first-place. We did a third-place, we did a second-place place and now we need a first-place, a win.

“This will be the second time we’ve been to Road America. Last season it was our second race. We’re bringing the experience we gained last year to the race this weekend. This is the first time we’ve raced at a track a second time. That actually helps a lot.

“I’m very motivated. The race track is a very quick, high-speed race track. It’s a little like Mosport. I think it suits the Viper pretty well; our car should be good there.”

HOW BIG OF A FACTOR IS IT TO GO BACK TO A RACE TRACK FOR THE SECOND TIME?

“The thing we struggled with last year was the setup for the first practice session. Now, the second time at Road America, we can start with the setup we used last year in qualifying or in practice. We have a base point to start. That gives us the opportunity to concentrate on other stuff, go more into the detail of fine-tuning the car.”

AS FAST AS ROAD AMERICA IS, DOES IT PUT PRESSURE ON YOU TO BE ALERT IN THE CAR BECAUSE OF THE SPEED OF THE PROTOTYPE CARS?

“No, usually not. Road America is very wide. It’s not that big of a deal at Road America. It’s one of the best tracks for traffic and so I don’t think that will be a big problem. We have to fine-tune the car for top speed. You have three or four long straightaways; we have to fine-tune the car to get a good run out of the corners onto the straightaways.”

Bill Riley – Vice President and Chief Engineer, Riley Technologies

ROAD AMERICA IS THE FIRST TRACK THAT YOU’RE GOING TO FOR A SECOND TIME. DOES THAT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOTES FROM THE RACE LAST YEAR?

“It should but from where we were at Road America last year, we’ve made a lot of changes and learned so much more about the car that we’re really going back to Road America with almost like a clean sheet of paper. It should be a fairly big departure from how we were at Road America last year.”

FROM AN ENGINEERING STANDPOINT, WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO RUN WELL THERE?

“It’s a big combination place. Horsepower is great everywhere but a lot of the corners at Road America are really fast and long durations, so you need a lot of downforce. We’ll be showing up in full downforce trim to this weekend. Some of the other classes I’ve been there with, it was always a mixture where you could qualify in high downforce and race in low downforce. We’ll explore both options but mostly it’s a high-downforce place because the corners that lead onto the straightaways are so fast. Your exit speed off those (corners) is the most critical part for a good lap time.”

DOES THE SPEED OF THE RACE TRACK WORK TO THE ADVANTATAGE OF THE VIPERS?

“Well, I’m really looking forward to it. That’s what I have to say about that question (laughs). Hopefully, we’ll have a solid run like Mosport.”

TO SEE BOTH CARS ON THE PODIUM AT MOSPORT AND TO SEE THE PROGRAM GETTING BETTER EACH AND EVERY RACE MUST BE REWARDING.

“It was a great event. It was great for everybody to get both cars on the podium. Obviously, we hadn’t done that yet. All the drivers did great and the crew did a great job. I’m not as happy about it as some. I’m not going to be super-excited about it until we’re all the way at the top.”

Matt Bejnarowicz – Lead Engineer, SRT Motorsports

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CHALLENGES ABOUT ROAD AMERICA?

“Road America probably requires a little bit tougher balance of downforce and drag. Mosport was an obvious high downforce track and Road Atlanta is a pretty high downforce track. Road America has those types of corners but a long gap in between because of the long straightaways. Both have some importance so it’s always interesting to try to figure out where the optimum balance is. You can’t go low and you can’t go completely high without some penalty.”

HOW MUCH OF AN ADVANTAGE WAS IT TO RUN THAT RACE LAST YEAR? DOES HAVING ONE RACE THERE UNDER YOUR BELT HELP THE PROCESS A LITTLE BIT?

“It helps a little bit but the car has changed so much since we were there the last time. It’s evolved. Last year, we were running such a small restrictor that we struggled to pass a GTC car. That was one of the last races before they (ALMS) equalized things for us. Unfortunately, a lot that we learned last year has changed. I think that since the car is so much better and the team is so much better and we have a better balance of performance, we’re almost starting a little bit new. We have some data and that helps us prepare but in terms of something like car setup, I think we’ll go with a completely different setup than what we had last year.”

HAS THERE BEEN A TRACK YOU’VE RACED AT THIS YEAR THAT HELPS PREPARE FOR ROAD AMERICA? DOES IT ALL BOIL DOWN TO STRAIGHT LINE SPEED?

“A lot of people think straight-line speed is a key factor but the corners are so fast that what you gain on the straight line you can easily give away in a corner. The corners are a lot faster than people realize. They tend to think that Road America requires a low drag setup because of the long straightaways. However, you’ve got to be real careful because if you trade off too much downforce trying to get your straight line speed up, you’re overall lap times are going to suffer.

“On the flip side, if you put too much drag in the car, you’re a sitting duck down the straightaways. You get passed on a straightaway, catch up in the corners but you can’t get by because it’s not easy to pass. There’s a delicate balance at Road America. For us, I think we’re going to lean more towards a high downforce car to start. Overall, I think that will be faster but we’ll see how we stack up with the competition and adjust as necessary.”

YOU HAVE BEEN A PART OF THIS PROGRAM FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. HOW REWARDING IS IT TO SEE THE TEAM GETTING MORE COMPETITIVE EACH AND EVERY RACE?

“You feel a little bit like a proud father although there’s probably a lot of those on the program. Everybody is pulling in the same direction, everybody has the same goal. The mechanics are focused on trying to make a faster pit stop, trying to do things better. The engineers are trying to find every ounce of speed in the car. The drivers are 100 percent committed. Everybody on the program deserves to win races. There’s nobody that puts themselves before the team.”

Gary Johnson – SRT Motorsports Racing Manager

“I think we can carry the momentum from Mosport into the race at Road America this week. We’ve got the same great drivers and the same team that has done such a great job for us. We expect the cars will do well on that type of track. We’ve worked a little bit in between race weekends to improve on our pit stop times.”

IS MOSPORT AND ROAD AMERICA SIMILAR? DO YOU CARRY A LOT OF SPEED AT BOTH TRACKS?

“I think Road America might have more straights. We think we’re good at balancing the downforce required for cornering with our top speed. I believe this track might suit the combination really well.”

HOW SPECIAL WAS IT TO SEE BOTH CARS RUN SO WELL AT MOSPORT? THAT MUST BE VERY GRATIFYING TO SEE THE PROGRAM TAKE STEPS TO BEING A CONTENDER FOR A WIN WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT.

“It’s really just a matter of time before we’re on that top step of the podium. The cars are obviously very good. I think that given a little better luck at Mosport, we would have hit that top spot. Traffic really got in the way of the race up front and kind of ended our hopes for a win (91 car) at Mosport.”

·
10,011 Posts
Just as a side note, Since MoparBob will not be on Allpar & will be at the track on Sunday only, any pictures, video or interviews you want to see or hear can be communicated through Hemi Magnum to text to MoparBob during the race.

It may take some tme to get images sent here since this is a 4 mile long track & the only way to get around is by foot, golf cart, or car! Since I'm the only person reporting, I can't be in two places at one time, so please be patient with your requests. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Road America Preview courtesy of Risi Competizione

After missing the previous, Canadian round of the series, Risi Competizione is looking forward to its ALMS return for the 6th round of the 2013 series.

The scenic Road America track at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin is a favorite for many drivers and Olivier Beretta and Matteo Malucelli are benefitting from a test day today (Monday) in preparation for the weekend. Beretta is a three-time class winner at the track but it is yet another new track for Malucelli to conquer. Road America is the scene of Risi’s most recent win in the series (2011).

The event: With the American Le Mans Series and the Grand-Am Rolex Series both competing at the track, there is a packed schedule for fans to enjoy but less track time for each as a result. There are 33 entries for the ALMS but car count will not play as big a role here with the longer 4.05 mile circuit. Cars will have some room to spread out and it’s wide enough to get by slower class cars.

This will be another fierce GT2 battle with the Porsches, BMWs, Vipers and Corvettes all having good top speed which is key here with the numerous fast sections. Risi is expected to have much closer top speed parity than in previous years, but staying out of trouble will be vital as there are several pro driver pairings who can win GT. The size of the circuit doesn’t translate to too many laps in practice so it’s always a challenge to get the best car with the time available.

The track: Road America is a long circuit with a more traditional, European-style layout. The track is mostly smooth, with some small bumps through the centers of some of the corners; this can change depending on the severity of the previous winter. This circuit is primarily a series of single corners without tricky or technical combinations, with useable but aggressive curbs which are key in reducing lap time. This is the highest speed (States- side) track within the ALMS and speeds of 160mph (260kph) will be touched three times a lap of around 2 minutes 4 seconds.

Setup: Long straits mean relatively low downforce to maximize top speed; you don’t want to lose position on the straits. This track is typically an understeer track, especially the long ‘Carousel’ bend so springs and aero balance will be adjusted to help this. The track prefers a stiffer platform but the curbing requires a softer car so finding the optimum balance is what everyone chases. Dampers will come into play – you need to get through the mid corner bumps without compromising the platform, and remove enough high speed damping to suit running the curbing.

This track isn’t hard on brakes, but the long straits cool the front tires so you have to be careful of brake lock-ups and flat-spotting tires in the braking zones. With the lap time being long here you don’t get many laps in a one hour practice session; you need to hone in on the setup quickly. Keeping the drivers focused on setup and not lap time will be the challenge. Our drivers never want to be second, even to their co-driver!

The race: There usually aren’t many yellows here and the track isn’t hard on tires so expect some green flag pit stops to play into the outcome of this race. Not taking tires could save valuable time so strategy will be central to a good result. The Ferrari should be quick here but the competition is never higher. This will be another thriller of a GT race for the fans, and Risi hopes its bad luck is over and that a finish up front can be secured to get some momentum for the last part of the season.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My request would be to get an interview with Dominick Fahrnbacher and Tommy Miler, at ssome point during the weekend, and ask them about the race at Mosport, if possible, getting them together for it would be unbelievable. That race between those two was for the history books.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Team West/AJR Race Preview

Leh Keen and Townsend Bell are taking their No. 23 Team West/Alex Job Racing/Boardwalk Ferrari to this weekend's American Le Mans Series Orion Energy Systems at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, Aug. 9-11.

Keen (Charleston, SC) is once again subbing for Team West/AJR regular Bill Sweedler (Westport, Conn.) who will be back behind the wheel for the next round in Baltimore. Keen will be pulling double Ferrari duty this weekend in both the Grand-Am and ALMS races at Road America. Bell (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) counts Road America as one of his favorite circuits in North America and is anxious to see how the Team West/AJR Ferrari runs at the undulating Elkhart Lake circuit.

"I rank Road America in my top three favorite tracks in the U.S.," Bell said. "I raced there back in the Barber Dodge Pro Series and tested ChampCars there as well. In that little Barber open-wheel car I was flat-out from the exit of Turn Eight all the way to the entry of Turn Ten or Canada Corner. The mid-engined 458 is going to be a real blast to drive around that four-mile track. With the handling and ever evolving Yokohama tires I am excited to see how it handles around the Carousel and through the Kink.
Keen is also entered in the No. 63 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari for the Grand-Am event to run on Saturday.

"I actually have only been to Road America a couple of times," Keen said. "It is one of the premier road courses in North America and I look forward to going there every time. It has three long straights that tie together some fast and challenging corners. I will also be driving in the Rolex race that weekend, so I will be getting double the track time. It is an advantage because I will see the track nonstop and know it a little better than the other competitors. I will know how it rubbers in or changes throughout the weekend. But it will also be tough because I will be jumping in and out of two different cars, although both are the wonderful 458 Ferrari. There will be different brake zones, different lap times and differing amounts of grip. So that will be a little bit of a challenge, but also will be part of the fun. All 458s move the same way around the chassis. Whether it's the street car or a GT2 racecar you know you are driving a 458. They have a certain feel especially during corner entry."
Eduardo Espindola, team co-owner, is anxious to see his car at Road America.

"Road America, like Mosport, has a lot of sports car history," Espindola said. "The Ferrari is a great handling car and I am looking forward to seeing what we can do on that great circuit."
Alex Job, team co-owner, had a strong weekend with the Ferrari.

"It will be a very interesting weekend," Job said. "We are running the same track on the same weekend as the Grand-Am Series, which will merge with the American Le Mans Series next year. It will be fascinating to see how the different classes of cars will match up and what everyone thinks the future will hold."

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
And now a mesage from our Moderator. This is only a test and can be subject to deletion:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yo_7PogVqo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

1 - 20 of 207 Posts