Allpar Forums banner

alright forum, you and me are ganna get this valiant back to running s

12K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  Ellobo 
yes, that is the plate i do not have.

would one of these replace it?
http://www.drivewire...tributor-clamp/
NO. Those have a lip on the distributor to clamp down to, which is why yours just sits and spins. in the distributor hole.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say follow the four wires that are attached to the orange box, one or more may be hooked up and drawing power, or worse, shorted somewhere and starting the alternator overcharge with increased rpm. Once you get your book, go through the wiring under the hood, bulkhead connector, then look under the dash, that horn wire may actually still be a problem shorting out full time (it sits on a spring and rides against a ring inside the steering column under the steering wheel and grounds when you hit the horn ring, now the wire is hitting against metal and grounding full time), and the faster your engine rpm goes the short may also be draining more power, it is direct wired, no fuse (safety, along with the headlights), and be a constant ground, so definitely get that fixed as another possibility.

Now, go to a salvage yard, find the distributor(there are about 15million slant sixes in all cars and trucks, so look around in the Dodge section), pull the clamp off and drop it in your pocket. At the same time, look at things on the slant six engine you get it off of and see if there is anything that looks different from yours that may be an issue on yours. You don't need to keep buying distributors, most likely your condenser is blowing out due to the overcharge. Remember, on the firewall above the engine usually, is a white ceramic piece called a ballast resistor. This reduces the voltage to the points or electronic ignition so things don't burn out. Now, in an emergency, and with points, the ballast resistor, which to tend to go out, so a spare is usually kept in the glove box by all ballast resistor owners (true, not a joke, just funny), but make sure there isn't a wire connecting the two sides right now, with points you can do it temporarily in an emergency, but more than a couple miles will burn things up and you will be buying new points and condenser shortly thereafter, not another new distributor, points and condenser is about $12 on the high priced places.

Yeah, but the "real" junkyards, or more politically correct "salvage" yards let you go in and look around, search for all kinds of stuff, see things in person. Most of the places here in Southern California are mostly broken down into brands, so you know where the Japanese Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc. are located, then the Mopars, Fords, Cadillacs, etc.. Talk about a fun trip if you like your cars, and also lets you compare components, how things are set up, compare one brand to another. Have fun and enjoy.

I like being able to find a couple parts on different cars that is the same to compare and get the best of the parts, and identify how something is different between a car or a van/truck, this model, that model, and hey, one advantage is that in pulling a part off, you can learn how it comes off and if it breaks, so what, just find another one. Yards have changed over the decades, used to be a reasure hunt, now it is more organized. I remember a junkyard in eastern Washington that had Cadillacs from the 50s, and of course I wasn't quite into Mopars at the time, but several 331, 354, 392 Hemi engines sitting in big Chryslers and Dodges, wish I would have picked them up now. I am sure there is a lot of stuff that has been crushed that should have been saved over the years.

Try craigslist, sometimes there are folks selling slant six parts. It can't be this difficult to find a distributor clamp, can it?

Slant six was the highest and longest production engine in Chrysler's history. It was in trucks, and all Dodge and Plymouth vehicles, Dodge and Plymouth until the K cars, trucks until 1986 in trucks and vans, and used in boats, forklifts, generator stations, all over the world.

Does anyone have a slant six distributor adjustment bracket they can sell to Ellobo??????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.