Allpar Forums banner

alright forum, you and me are ganna get this valiant back to running s

12K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  Ellobo 
I'm pretty positive the issue is how you wired in the voltage regulator. Now, no matter what you do, the voltage WILL go up when you accelerate, but it should NOT exceed, I believe, 14.5 volts.

What region are you in? Sounds like a hands on thing.

Replica exhaust... that will cost you.

I would get that horn button fixed. Rick Ehrenberg wrote an article in Mopar Action which describes the process well with lots of pics.

Agreed -- just get a used distributor. They don't tend to fail. You can even rebuild it first according to the instructions Allpar is running, just for you, this week.

Around here, they stopped carrying classics over a decade ago... oh, right, 2000. Maybe two decades ago. They said they don't get much call for cars over ten years old, and the parts aren't worth as much, and they tend to be degraded if they're in the yard too long anyway. Generally I find that junkyarddog.com is helpful as are dedicated vintage car wreckers. I gave up on visiting local junkyards in person, there aren't enough of them, and they're space limited. Many went out of the business when real estate prices shot up, during the bubble. Cashed out for a few million ... instead of working out of a battered trailer, dealing with cheapskates and thieves all day (and often not being above some thieving themselves, there are some disreputable yards around that promise a price on the phone, then muscle the car for nothing out of the unsuspecting... according to second hand reports).

http://www.allpar.com/i/mopar-parts.html has a few junkyard resources.

Generally I've had good times in the 1980s at junkyards but not since.

Also get in touch with a local who might know the best yards. There are vintage yards on that page at allpar which are worth contacting separately, they're likely NOT on junkyard dog.

+1 to dartndodge's post. You'll need a cheap can of dielectric grease for all those connections.

Learn this young fella....When you mess with old cars YOU GOT TO NETWORK AND GET IN THE LOOP or you never get anywhere!!!!!
I am just emphasizing this.

When I owned a Spirit R/T, I wasted gobs of cash and time because I was not a member of the Registry. Once I joined, I got information that would have been incredibly useful. It was too late by then!

Like... spending $25 for a NAPA oil pump instead of getting the VERY LAST OEM pump from Chrysler at a mere $200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.