Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Yeah, but the "real" junkyards, or more politically correct "salvage" yards let you go in and look around, search for all kinds of stuff, see things in person. Most of the places here in Southern California are mostly broken down into brands, so you know where the Japanese Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc. are located, then the Mopars, Fords, Cadillacs, etc.. Talk about a fun trip if you like your cars, and also lets you compare components, how things are set up, compare one brand to another. Have fun and enjoy.

Man, my Dad started taking me to junk yards with him when I was about 10 years old. I loved it! The smell of the old cars, the grease and oil and just seeing the old cars was a treat for me. Dad had big hands and fingers and if he needed something that was in a tight spot, that's where I came in handy. Junk yards have sure changed a LOT in the past 45 years, but I still love going to the Pull-A-Part. I could spend a whole day in one and be content. Take your digitial camera if you have one and anything you see that you may want to work on, snap a picture and you'll have a reference as to how to install it on your car.

I like being able to find a couple parts on different cars that is the same to compare and get the best of the parts, and identify how something is different between a car or a van/truck, this model, that model, and hey, one advantage is that in pulling a part off, you can learn how it comes off and if it breaks, so what, just find another one. Yards have changed over the decades, used to be a reasure hunt, now it is more organized. I remember a junkyard in eastern Washington that had Cadillacs from the 50s, and of course I wasn't quite into Mopars at the time, but several 331, 354, 392 Hemi engines sitting in big Chryslers and Dodges, wish I would have picked them up now. I am sure there is a lot of stuff that has been crushed that should have been saved over the years.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
so far i've been to 4 junk yards, but i haven't been able to find anything close to a slant six. any thing before 1980 i find is usual a junk ford car. anyone know any good yards in denver?

Try craigslist, sometimes there are folks selling slant six parts. It can't be this difficult to find a distributor clamp, can it?

Slant six was the highest and longest production engine in Chrysler's history. It was in trucks, and all Dodge and Plymouth vehicles, Dodge and Plymouth until the K cars, trucks until 1986 in trucks and vans, and used in boats, forklifts, generator stations, all over the world.

Does anyone have a slant six distributor adjustment bracket they can sell to Ellobo??????

I can understand his frustration. When Cash For Clunkers came about, and the scrap metal prices went up, every yard near me crushed everything older than 2000 and cleaned out their lots. Some even closed afterward. I can't find any Chrysler products here older than about 2000.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
yeah, so i've checked out 5 junk yards or so and i'm really just having trouble finding anything older than 1990 too. there's a very old post on craigslist where a guy was parting out most of a slant six, but i haven't heard back from him.

so basically mega shark sits and waits, covered in my back yard. waiting for a miracle.

also junk yards are a whole lot of fun. me and my sister bonded on that alot, which was super fun. thanks for the recommendation.

You could always buy a new slant six distributor. More money, but it works.

Around here, they stopped carrying classics over a decade ago... oh, right, 2000. Maybe two decades ago. They said they don't get much call for cars over ten years old, and the parts aren't worth as much, and they tend to be degraded if they're in the yard too long anyway. Generally I find that junkyarddog.com is helpful as are dedicated vintage car wreckers. I gave up on visiting local junkyards in person, there aren't enough of them, and they're space limited. Many went out of the business when real estate prices shot up, during the bubble. Cashed out for a few million ... instead of working out of a battered trailer, dealing with cheapskates and thieves all day (and often not being above some thieving themselves, there are some disreputable yards around that promise a price on the phone, then muscle the car for nothing out of the unsuspecting... according to second hand reports).

http://www.allpar.com/i/mopar-parts.html has a few junkyard resources.

Generally I've had good times in the 1980s at junkyards but not since.

Get yourself an electronic Distributor, any old mopar one to fit the slant. Make sure it is complete.
I reckon your "Mechanic" friend is like the typical mechanic and hasnt got a clue about Mopars especially the Electronic ignition.
I reckon he saw the electronic stuff and just binned your electronic dissy, and located a cheap points one (took him a week or so)
Just to get you back on the road and out of his hair.
Get the electronic slant 6 dissy, check the wiring, there are diagrams on the net, make sure that rusty old orange box is earthed proberly to the body. ie clean off the rust where it mounts and it should be fine. Set the air gap on the dissy, and if it doesnt run it is the orange box. get a black one from the junkers.
Or Get back to the mechanic and ask for your old distributor back. Which I suspect, was an electronic one anyway.

Also get in touch with a local who might know the best yards. There are vintage yards on that page at allpar which are worth contacting separately, they're likely NOT on junkyard dog.

+1 to dartndodge's post. You'll need a cheap can of dielectric grease for all those connections.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
http://www.streetperformance.com/part/mr-gasket/distributor-hold-down-clamp/394405-2503.html

so i took a little break on the car just cause i got frustrated and started working on my mopeds til they went to stuff (spent $60 on a piece of trash carb) and now i'm back on the valiant.

i'm ganna buy that clamp in that link up there to try it out, as finding an original one is way to hard. any junkyard i contacted online just spammed me, and this is the closest i can find to something that might work so i'm just ganna go for it,

I don't think that will fit or work on the slant-6 distributor.

This is getting desperate, might have to break the rules....OK.

Check out===

http://www.wildcatmopars.com/

They collect and wreck heaps of old Mopars, surely they got what ya want.

http://www.texasacres.com/

Texas acres were a huge old Mopar wreckers, but now retired...but may still have some scraps left, doesnt hurt to ask, just dont be a dick....these guys have been doing this stuff for 50 years or more.

http://www.bradsnosparts.com/

Brads nos have heaps of old stock parts, may have a s/h piece your after.

There are dozens more, usually advertised in the 2 main Mopar Magazines, buy them and have a look.

I could probably get one for you, But Im in Australia, and the cost to post etc etc.

You are in the land of Mopar....most old dudes should have them just sitting around in their backyards.

I watch those "Pickers" shows...you yanks are Crazy, with what you keep...millions of $$ just left in barns or outside to rust away.

Learn this young fella....When you mess with old cars YOU GOT TO NETWORK AND GET IN THE LOOP or you never get anywhere!!!!!
Most youngins are into it thru their dads, and all their knowledge.

You need to network MOPAR dudes...keep away from Chevy or Ford generic mechanics etc...FIND MOPAR GUYS AND ASK Qs THEN LISTEN!!!
Go to a local cruise or hangout, and look for the guys with Mopars, restos or modified, it dont matter, then be honest with them and blend......thats how we all learn.

Nowdays is VERY hard to start out an old Mopar car fan from nothing, you must network. (real people too not only net)

And Dont be a **** [edited] about it, be the student and let them teach you....most Mopar guys are good like that.

Go forth young man!>>>>>>>>>>

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.