Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the LF amplified speaker there is a 4 wire plug. I need info on the two outside wires, the gray and the red (X13 & X15). I'm replacing the CD/Cassette with a 2002 Sebring 4CD changer unit (MR459823). It uses the same gray and black wiring plugs. I suspect the two outer wires, gray and red, power the amplifier on each speaker. The gray wire connects with a black/green wire and runs separate from the radio plugs loom. I don't know how (or if) it connects to the radio. The red amp wire connects to a black/red but no idea where it goes (or is it where it comes from). Maybe the new unit used a separate amp, but I should still be able to make it work. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,347 Posts
Amplified speakers weren't in the 1994 diagrams, so these are 1996 diagrams. The van used small amps at each speaker that were powered through a relay & choke.
The 2002 Sebring used an amplifier unit to drive the speakers.
As long as radio-to-amp and amp-to-spkr impedances match, it should work.

What your van wiring should be:

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

Slope Font Parallel Diagram Drawing

Schematic Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

What the 6-spkr Sebring should be:

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Schematic Slope Rectangle Font Parallel

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the schematics. It appears the Red and Gray amp wires do provide the power. The Negative ends at G204. Is that just a Negative ground? The positive comes from the Relay Filter/Choke. Is that a separate item that I can find or contained in the radio? I'm hoping it's separate since there are no other terminals on the new unit.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,347 Posts
Yes, G204 is a good body ground.
The amplified spkr relay should be behind the glove box. I believe that the container lifts out like a tray to expose the fuses and relays.

Slope Parallel Font Diagram Symmetry

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
Thanks so much for the schematics. It appears the Red and Gray amp wires do provide the power. The Negative ends at G204. Is that just a Negative ground? The positive comes from the Relay Filter/Choke. Is that a separate item that I can find or contained in the radio? I'm hoping it's separate since there are no other terminals on the new unit.
The radio power any amp, whether it's a single central amp or an amp on the speakers (both systems have been used by Chrysler).
I believe the power trigger to the amp comes from a pin of the black connector (on the old 1994 style wiring). This is the same line that would trigger a power antenna in a car so equipped.

I assume you're using some sort of adapter harness for the 2004 radio (or making your own) you probably are missing the signal out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm investigating. I found the Filter/Choke behind the glove box. Some of those wires head into another plastic box mounted behind the radio. I'm calling this progress. Thanks again. Updates coming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an '02 radio and the two old plug-ins fit right on the new radio. I'll attach pics next time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old radio on left with white plug with two pins. New radio on right has that hole and a pin inside sticking up. Maybe that is the Speaker Amp + connection. The Amp (-) connected on the old spade, so I think a radio chassis ground will do. The box behind the radio is intermittent wiper, but at least one choke wire (purple) goes into it. I'll try connecting the new radio and see if that internal pin supplies + voltage. Sure don't want to burn up anything doing this stuff.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts