Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

With a brand new Chrysler 200 scheduled to start production in 2014, Chrysler has reportedly set an end date for the current 200C convertible — the end of October 2013. It is unclear whether that is the date set for all convertibles or just one of the two tops (hard and soft); likewise, while one source told us that there would be no convertibles in the next generation, that statement remains unverified. Some have speculated that the 200 convertible, whose sales have been slow recently, would be dropped entirely, and replaced by a Dodge Challenger convertible. An automotive engineer wrote that the design of the current Challenger indicated that it had been designed with convertible conversion in mind, and while that option has been left to the aftermarket, it would not be unreasonable for the company to move convertible production to the market preference for topless muscle cars.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or not:
Initial production begins:

• Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl (PRP) - 10/01/13 - Avenger SE

• Rear View Auto Dimming Mirror (GNK) - 10/04/13 - 200 Limited 4dr Sedan

• Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat (PAU) - 10/07/13

• 200S Special Edition (AAZ) - 11/01/13 - 200 Touring 4dr Sedan & 200 Limited 4dr Sedan

• 200S Special Edition (AAZ) - 11/01/13 - 200 S Convertible

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Once was the biggest selling convertible in the U.S.
And once again....Chrysler neglects a vehicle into oblivion. Quite a pattern, eh.
The shame of it all.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
unverferth said:
Once was the biggest selling convertible in the U.S.And once again....Chrysler neglects a vehicle into oblivion. Quite a pattern, eh.The shame of it all.
Yep I think its a shame they are killing the 200 convertible. Just think how good the new one could have been!

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
Longtimejeep said:
Production launch is scheduled for Job #1 on 3/17/14. System fill begins 3/10/14.
Will they beat the Cherokee and diesel Ram 1500 to market?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
unverferth said:
Once was the biggest selling convertible in the U.S.
And once again....Chrysler neglects a vehicle into oblivion. Quite a pattern, eh.
The shame of it all.
Chrysler owned the convertible market for the longest time. Not sure what current market is of converts now. But even just mid last decade, Chrysler had Sebring, PT, Crossfire converts all in the lineup.

·
3,813 Posts
The convertible market as a whole has taken a nose dive... Sales numbers for convertibles are WAY down last I heard.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
JRS200x said:
The convertible market as a whole has taken a nose dive... Sales numbers for convertibles are WAY down last I heard.
I was gonna say. While it's true Chrysler did it's midsized convertible no favors, the market hasn't exactly been helpful either. I am not sure there is even really a direct competitor for the Sebring anymore (I do not count the Mustang and such cars). The Toyota Solara used to be a competitor, but it has moved on too..

I have, accordingly jumped to the conclusion, the Challenger 'vert makes a lot more sense than it did before IMO. It will still be low volume, but will have an easier time selling on novelty than the Sebring / 200 could.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
There are a few things that would get me to buy a new car. Challenger convertible would be one of them assuming it's significantly than the current cost of the current conversions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts