Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After a one-month delay, the 2014 Jeep Cherokee has entered production, according to Chrysler (as quoted in the Freep).  Allpar sources believe that front wheel drive models will be made first, due to issues that arose in extended durability testing with the 4x4 versions (thanks, Steve Ginn and RamMan). Jeep Cherokee uses a nine-speed automatic transmission built by Chrysler, the world’s first application of this unit. Land Rover is using a similar transmission, built by ZF in the United States. Chrysler has made changes to the unit, largely to allow for much higher-volume production; insiders have said that nine-speed automatics are due for use on the minivans, Chrysler 200 replacement, and, eventually, the Dodge Dart.

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
That's a great photo showing the complexity and suspension travel limitations of the KL.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Lots of Aluminum.

Any Bets on How Many a Day They are Up To.

the Questions:

Is that a Drive Shaft going to the Rear Wheels ?

If It's a Cross Flow Head Where's the Exhaust Manifold ?

TMD

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
The Mad Duck said:
Lots of Aluminum.

Any Bets on How Many a Day They are Up To.

the Questions:

Is that a Drive Shaft going to the Rear Wheels ?

If It's a Cross Flow Head Where's the Exhaust Manifold ?

TMD
??? Pentastars don't have exhaust manifolds...just a flange on the internally cast exhaust ports. Does the Tigershark, have the same setup?
That is likely the drive shaft going to the rear transaxle. Hard to tell from the photo cropping.
What it does show is the reason there is a huge snout on the car, 100% of the engine and transmission is forward of the front axle.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
MoparNorm said:
What it does show is the reason there is a huge snout on the car, 100% of the engine and transmission is forward of the front axle.
After seeing the vehicle in person, I can attest the huge snout is a distraction. You just don't see Jeeps with that.

The one Cherokee was parked next to a Liberty. What a contrast in snouts!

The Trailhawk, due to the desire for ground clearance exacerbates the nose.

But, styling is subjective. Some might like a big nose as an indicator of a big........

·
Registered
754 Posts
Seems like an awful big cross member under that engine and trans?! :facepalm:

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
Keep in mind that there was a support holding it in place. Yes, Duckie, that was a driveshaft going back to the rear wheels. Burt, that cross member might have been part of the frame for holding the display. That image was rotated — they had the thing rotated 90 degrees for easier visibility. It IS interesting to see how much is in front of the axle.

'Course the Compass gets called a mall runner around here so it's hard to tell just how good or bad it'll be ;)

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
Well, at least I will be able to test drive a FWD to see if I want to order an AWD.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Eeeekkk !

I Didn't Look that Close at All - It's a V-6.

I Darn Well Should Know where the Exhaust Ports are at I Was Staring at Them for 16 Months!

TMD

·
Registered
718 Posts
Saw one driving down my street with manuf. plates on it. It was much larger than I thought it would be. It sounded very loud. It did not sound good at all. Sounded like a diesel but it was very loud and sounded like it wanted to stall. Might be pre production or maybe the driver didn't know what he was doing.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
The Mad Duck said:
Eeeekkk !

I Didn't Look that Close at All - It's a V-6.

I Darn Well Should Know where the Exhaust Ports are at I Was Staring at Them for 16 Months!

TMD
:lol:
I thought maybe you had blocked it out? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts