Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Allpar has been told that the 2014 Dodge Durango will start production in May August 2013, ending speculation that it is to be replaced by the Jeep Wagoneer — at least, for the 2014 model year.  Buyers could expect to see the new Durango at dealerships starting in October. However, Chrysler will reportedly keep production relatively light, especially when compared with Grand Cherokee. The list of upgrades is essentially identical to that of the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee: eight-speed automatics across the board, UConnect 2, large-screen telematics, user-changeable digital dashboard, updated headlights and tail-lights, and a new tailgate. There has also been talk of the Dodge “racetrack” tail-lights appearing on the rear of Durango. The diesel option, enjoyed by Grand Cherokee buyers, is less likely. The start date for 2014 appears to have been delayed by several months.

View the original, full post

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
I like the race track taillight idea, be nice to identify the Dodge from the rear.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
I agree, skipping the diesel on the Durango, even for one model year, is a HUGE mistake.

Diesel and 8 speed can make the Durango the breakout three row vehicle on the market.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
The Mad Duck said:
I Don't Think So About May.

My Crystal Ball Agrees With Longtimejeep.

TMD
Scheduling from last March had the Durango production launch scheduled for May 2013 (3,800 units in May, ramping up to 6,000 in June).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Given the fact that FIAT has an available Diesel V6 in-house and tossing out any obvious advantageous economies of scale furnishing said power-plant might embue, I'm wondering would it be a good idea to commission the once considered CUMMINS Diesel V6 4.0L for RAM and Durango since the two brands are almost synonymous with one another, giving DODGE and JEEP (using the VM Diesel V6 3.0L which is more of the global pkg offering) their own calling cards in the same industry. Would we see a considerable increase in sales of DURANGO if this option became economically feasible?

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
oh2o said:
Scheduling from last March had the Durango production launch scheduled for May 2013 (3,800 units in May, ramping up to 6,000 in June).
Yeah I recall that, and then it was probably you I saw that noted the delay. Unfortunate, but I suppose that's what, a couple months. So not a big deal in the end I guess..

As for the diesel, you probably know, but maybe can't say.. I didn't really expect a diesel in the Durango, even with it in the GC. It's still not free to add, and it seems like they are on the fence about how much they want to invest or put into the Durango. Even now the Durango may be partially burdened with an identity crisis. As our discussion has gone, with Diesel prices, the MPG advantage alone is not as likely to sell the vehicle. It's the power, MPG, tow ability and what not. On the other hand, the Durango may be able to target a perfect niche. Those not looking for a big BOF GM SUV, that wants something more Crossover-y, but still very capable, and able to tow. If there is a market for this, then a diesel Durango would in fact be perfect. Alas, I dunno. Sure, it sounds good to me, but they seem a bit gun shy about the Durango.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Putting a diesel in the Durango would seem to perhaps step it out of competition against the Traverse/Tahoe and Explorer (among others) and instead put it against the diesel SUVs from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi (and perhaps VW and Porsche as well) - and while I personally think that might be a shot worth taking, it's my gut feeling that the Jeep Grand Wagoneer is regarded as the model to play in that field.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Putting a diesel in the Durango would seem to perhaps step it out of competition against the Traverse/Tahoe and Explorer (among others) and instead put it against the diesel SUVs from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi (and perhaps VW and Porsche as well) - and while I personally think that might be a shot worth taking, it's my gut feeling that the Jeep Grand Wagoneer is regarded as the model to play in that field.
??? On the contrary, simply giving it a diesel, won't degrade it to import SUV status. The buyer for Durango is someone who travels, (camping) tows and actually uses their truck as a truck. The diesel will give it a leg up against Traverse and Explorer because it will improve the towing and working mpg.
Two things that the imports you mentioned are not, or rarely used for.
To succeed, first the buyer demographic must be identified, and Mercedes, BMW and Audi status seeking owners are not our buyers, or target buyers, of working trucks.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
XRT2SRT said:
Given the fact that FIAT has an available Diesel V6 in-house and tossing out any obvious advantageous economies of scale furnishing said power-plant might embue, I'm wondering would it be a good idea to commission the once considered CUMMINS Diesel V6 4.0L for RAM and Durango since the two brands are almost synonymous with one another, giving DODGE and JEEP (using the VM Diesel V6 3.0L which is more of the global pkg offering) their own calling cards in the same industry. Would we see a considerable increase in sales of DURANGO if this option became economically feasible?
VM is going in Ram. VM is already going in Grand Cherokee. VM meets all emissions regs.

Cummins deal is long gone.

Mike

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
I disagree, the Durango needs something like this to differentiate itself and create appeal.

Ford has Ecoboost, Dodge has diesel, boom!

Mike

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Neither Ford, nor Chevy, nor GMC, nor Toyota, have diesels in their mid-to-large SUV offerings. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, and Porsche DO.

No, your average Dodge SUV buyer would not likely cross-shop or consider a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, or Porsche.

But configured as a Jeep Grand Wagoneer - now I think you WOULD have folks cross-shopping those brands. And likely for the status or cachet, not so much for the actual capability.

The VW Touareg and Audi Q7 diesels start around $52K, the BMW X5 diesel around $58K, the Mercedes GL diesel around $62K. A loaded Durango Citadel starts around $42K. As a diesel Jeep Grand Wagoneer, that could easily have an MSRP around $50K to start.

In my opinion, of course.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Neither Ford, nor Chevy, nor GMC, nor Toyota, have diesels in their mid-to-large SUV offerings. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, and Porsche DO.

No, your average Dodge SUV buyer would not likely cross-shop or consider a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, or Porsche.

But configured as a Jeep Grand Wagoneer - now I think you WOULD have folks cross-shopping those brands. And likely for the status or cachet, not so much for the actual capability.

The VW Touareg and Audi Q7 diesels start around $52K, the BMW X5 diesel around $58K, the Mercedes GL diesel around $62K. A loaded Durango Citadel starts around $42K. As a diesel Jeep Grand Wagoneer, that could easily have an MSRP around $50K to start.

In my opinion, of course.
Dodge doesn't have to be "status quo" right? It certainly isn't with an 8 speed.

Plus the diesel would help CAFE.

Mike

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
325 Posts
I always liked this Durango and it's a shame it has not been given more "attention" by Chrysler.

Shame also Dodge isn't for Europe.

Personally, I think this could have made decent niche sales in Europe badged as a Fiat or a Lancia as a step up over Freemont and an alternative to the German big SUVs.

I'm sure it would have sold more than the Thema...

Just put a Diesel in it and slap a freemont-like Fiat badge. I'd take it over a Touareg. No brainer.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Certifying a third engine for the Durango, given its low volume, is a big gamble with little hope for ROI, especially since the 3.0 would take Hemi business and possibly not increase overall volume.

If the decision to build the Grand Wagoneer is "yes", then more volume from Durango is not desirable.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Neither Ford, nor Chevy, nor GMC, nor Toyota, have diesels in their mid-to-large SUV offerings. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, and Porsche DO.No, your average Dodge SUV buyer would not likely cross-shop or consider a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, or Porsche.But configured as a Jeep Grand Wagoneer - now I think you WOULD have folks cross-shopping those brands. And likely for the status or cachet, not so much for the actual capability.The VW Touareg and Audi Q7 diesels start around $52K, the BMW X5 diesel around $58K, the Mercedes GL diesel around $62K. A loaded Durango Citadel starts around $42K. As a diesel Jeep Grand Wagoneer, that could easily have an MSRP around $50K to start.In my opinion, of course.
I get where you're coming from, I just think the entire Grand Wagoneer thing is an overwrought pipe dream.
Consumers will figure out that it's an reworked Grand Cherokee/Durango and Jeepers will figure out that same thing.
It won't be enough vehicle for either group, leaving only a niche of folks with more money than knowledge, left to buy it.
The Grand Cherokee Overland, fill that niche and if they really think there is a market for a third row of seats, they only need look at Durango's mild sales.
A,three row Grand Cherokee still badged as a Grand Cherokee, would waste a lot fewer R&D hours and dollars, than jumping all in on a Grand Wagoneer redesign of the Durango.
Marchionne may think he is trading on the Jeep nameplate, but the truth is, buyers of real Jeeps, left his brand years ago, moving to 4 door Wrangler, or stubbornly hanging onto their older Jeeps.
He is betting his international resurgence on the draw of a nameplate that is so watered down in the US, it doesn't carry over past Wrangler.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Certifying a third engine for the Durango, given its low volume, is a big gamble with little hope for ROI, especially since the 3.0 would take Hemi business and possibly not increase overall volume.

If the decision to build the Grand Wagoneer is "yes", then more volume from Durango is not desirable.
Maybe the Durango needs a gamble.

The big difference between this and other applications is the fact that the engine is used in a shared vehicle which helps. I know the certification costs are high. I think it diesel would make the Durango a true break out of its class.

Mike

Reactions: MoparNorm
1 - 20 of 81 Posts