Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following Chrysler’s post-Fiat custom of adding standard features to provide more value, rather than dropping prices, Dodge has released pricing for the new Durango, including what they call “$3,500 added value” over the 2013 models. The Durango maintains the same price as last year, but adds a standard eight-speed automatic with paddle shifters, UConnect Bluetooth, five-inch UConnect touch-screen stereo, seven-inch customizable gauges, LED race-track tail-lamps, and standard three-row, seven-passenger seats. The entry price is $29,795 plus $995 destination.

Set to hit dealers in the third quarter, the Durango is in one of the fastest growing segments in America: full-size SUVs and crossovers. The Durango has best in class power with the Hemi engine (360 hp/390 lb-ft) and best in class towing (7,400 lb), and has had nine months of consecutive growth. The base model is the SXT, which includes the 290-horsepower V6 engine with the eight-speed automatic; this combination..

View the original, full post

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Interesting. I like the Rallye

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
Mike V. said:
Interesting. I like the Rallye
I agree, sounds like a nice model.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I also agree. It would make a great all around vehicle to go back and forth to work 12 months of the year ...I hate parking the Challenger in the winter...but ..I know she doesn't like salt ...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmm... $42,000 for the Citadel.

I just can't imagine spending $42,000 ... on a Dodge. The same goes for buying a Honda. I wouldn't dream of spending $42,000 for that either.

It just seems silly that Chrysler went to the trouble of developing a super-expensive SUV, when customers can probably do better with more-established luxury SUV's like the Acura MDX, Booick Enclave, Lincoln MkX, not to mention the new Jeep Grand Cherokee premium SUV.

But if it sells, then that's all that matters.

·
10,397 Posts
That's one good looking rig!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
ChrisJC said:

I just can't imagine spending $42,000 ... on a Dodge. The same goes for buying a Honda. I wouldn't dream of spending $42,000 for that either.

It just seems silly that Chrysler went to the trouble of developing a super-expensive SUV, when customers can probably do better with more-established luxury SUV's like the Acura MDX, Booick Enclave, Lincoln MkX, not to mention the new Jeep Grand Cherokee premium SUV.

Why would it be OK to be $42,000 on Acura MDX, Buick Enclave and Lincoln MKX but not Durango when Durango has more options for comfort and luxury?
You know Grand Cherokee is similar to Durango?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Mopar392 said:
Why would it be OK to be $42,000 on Acura MDX, Buick Enclave and Lincoln MKX but not Durango when Durango has more options for comfort and luxury?
You know Grand Cherokee is similar to Durango?
Because the Durango is a Dodge and the others are not.

Hence, why so many believe Dodge's days are numbered.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
ChrisJC said:
More value' same price, to me it's like free cheese on your burger. Yes most prices have gone passed what I consider reasonable.

If there enough people left that are able to buy them that's great.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Right. It's nothing against Dodge - it's just that the Dodge brand is perceived by consumers at large to be less expensive than a Buick or an Acura or a Lincoln.

Would the Durango sell badged as a Chrysler? I have my doubts.

But management does think that it will sell - and sell for more - as a Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

That said, I do like the Durango. The Rallye is essentially the return of the "Heat" model - but with 3 rows (the Heat only came with 5-passenger 2-row seating.)

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Right. It's nothing against Dodge - it's just that the Dodge brand is perceived by consumers at large to be less expensive than a Buick or an Acura or a Lincoln.

Would the Durango sell badged as a Chrysler? I have my doubts.

But management does think that it will sell - and sell for more - as a Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

That said, I do like the Durango. The Rallye is essentially the return of the "Heat" model - but with 3 rows (the Heat only came with 5-passenger 2-row seating.)
Yes, they seemed to have fixed all the complaints about the Heat model... Which is a good thing.

As for the other comment, show me a 3 row CUV/SUV with this much capability and standard features for the price. The Explorer is expensive too. Heck a Traverse can be optioned sky high on price also.

Spending $40k does not guarantee a "luxury" car anymore and hasn't for years.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mike V. said:
Yes, they seemed to have fixed all the complaints about the Heat model... Which is a good thing.

As for the other comment, show me a 3 row CUV/SUV with this much capability and standard features for the price. The Explorer is expensive too. Heck a Traverse can be optioned sky high on price also.

Spending $40k does not guarantee a "luxury" car anymore and hasn't for years.

Mike
I think it's a fair price for something that well equipped, and you're not getting a 5.7l V8 in an MDX. To me Dodge is in the same league as Chevy, go look at the window sticker on a Tahoe or Suburban and get back to me. Hell, my brother in law just spent over 40 grand on a new Toyota Highlander, which is a Camry based V6 AWD.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Joe_K said:
I think it's a fair price for something that well equipped, and you're not getting a 5.7l V8 in an MDX. To me Dodge is in the same league as Chevy, go look at the window sticker on a Tahoe or Suburban and get back to me. Hell, my brother in law just spent over 40 grand on a new Toyota Highlander, which is a Camry based V6 AWD.
Yeah, unfortunately, cars and trucks are much more expensive than they once were.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mike V. said:
Yeah, unfortunately, cars and trucks are much more expensive than they once were.

Mike
Yep, not long ago 30k would get you a well equipped half ton pickup. Now it's 40k+, and this is true for Ram, Ford, and Chevy. The 2014 Silverado's are on the lots here by my house. $43k for a CC 4x4 5.3 with cloth interior.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Because the Durango is a Dodge and the others are not.

Hence, why so many believe Dodge's days are numbered.
It seems to me that in the last few years especially, but since about the time of the bailouts and the restructuring of brands within the automotive companies, the move towards getting away from badge engineering and cutting off dying brands has had the overall effect of blurring the lines between the tiered sub brands within a company, and throwing a wrench in the works of the model line-up food chain. Where as before everyone knew that a particular vehicle in one brand was higher up on the totem pole than its counterpart vehicle of the same platform and bodystyle of a sister brand solely because one brand was known to be the "higher end" brand or luxury brand or was somehow higher in the conpany's food chain than the other brand. It was blatantly obvious and everyone knew that this brand was above that brand. In that mindset, I see your point about a 40,000 dollar Dodge Durango. However, since the effort to snuff out badge engineering and cut out products and brands that were essentially just lower trims of the same vehicle, now it seems the culture has changed to where almost any model in any line up can be optioned up or down well beyond the sister vehicles in the classes above or below each other. With the increases in vehicle content, technology, and options, almost any vehicle can be optioned to the point of being competitive with what we previously would have called a "high end" or luxury marque. And the customera have all learned to accept it and understand it, it seems, to the point where avehicle is no longer evaluated by the badge it wears but by the optuons an amenities it has. The compacts and subcompacts which ised to be the entry level bare bones cars are now full of tech and luxury packages rivallong the midsize and fullsize cars in both options and price. In a world where a ford, chevy or Ram pickup truck can be optioned up to north of 60,000 dollars, i dont think most modern automobile shoppers will not consider a vehicke because of the brand's position on the company's hierarchy pecking order. Check out a fully loaded vehicle of the same class from Ford and Chevy and you will see that its the whole market that has jumped up in the price category, not just Dodge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ChrisJC said:

It really depends on the buyers wants and needs, for me I need 4wd or awd, ( my winter weather and travel demands it) , a third row (we have two boys, but sharing hockey and football travels with other parents, plus any time our two labs go camping with us the third row is needed), good trailer towing ability for the camper and for car trailer with a car. I like to have all the options as well leather, dual air, rear heat/air, those are available. The Durango is only vehicle in your list that works. It is all about what people need or want. All that being said my current Durango is still filling my needs, but if I was on the lookout to replace it, there is a very short list of SUVs to select from.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
ChrisJC said:

People said the same thing about Hyundai and Kia...

There is nothing wrong with Dodge doing the same thing.

Plus, for that $42,000 you are NOT getting a LOADED Acura, Buick, or Lincoln. Nor are you getting 8 passengers, and the awesome space that a Durango offers.
ajbwalk said:
the new teaser web site is awesome http://www.dodge.com/en/2014/durango/
Holy Crap. Is this real life?

An attractive, relevant page on a Chrysler website for a new vehicle BEFORE it is released?

Damn, I must be in an alternate universe.

But seriously though, well done Dodge!

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
Yes that is nice.

Lately some of the best Chrysler/Jeep commercials around were ran by one of the local dealers. They got one of the local morning DJs into a few Chrysler products (first a Grand Cherokee then a Charger and finally a Dart) and she just gushed about the vehicles and the features, very little time wated on "the deal"! Much better than many of the national ads running at the time, especially the Dart spots.

·
3,813 Posts
Just as an fyi, we sell quite a few Citadel model Durango's... and most of those are much closer to $50k than $40k, so it apparently isn't the problem a lot of you try to think it is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts