Allpar Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
AC TC said:
The "D" seems to be picking up sales without any sales promotion from mother.
Can it be true what they at GM inside news forum says that its a good car that nobody tries to sell?
Are the customers finding it by themselfes....
If so it should be a diesel candidate.. free headlines!
I am actually seeing A LOT more new Durangos on the road these days.
What's going on ??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
Well its been on sale for awhile and pretty steadily selling around 3-4k a month, so at some point, you were bound to start seeing more of them...
 

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
Joined
·
37,448 Posts
I'm seeing an infinite times as many as I used to -- one.

It's parked down the street.

The guy on the opposite corner walks by every week. One day I was taking photos of the inside of the 2005 or so T&C. He asked some questions, drove one, and asked his lease guy to lease him one. The lease guy said he only leased Hondas because all other cars were crap. So the far-neighbor broke with the local religious community (which all leases Odysseys from the same guy, all dark blue) and leased the Chrysler. He had no problems at all and changed it for a 2008 when the lease was up. He nearly went back to Toyota due to a brake problem but I suggested he call Chrysler. They refunded his $1,200 brake job costs, and he leased a 2011 WPC Edition -- I think the profit on that more than made up for the brake job!

His example was picked up by the Durango owner. So that's two pricey shiny new Chrysler vehicles.

I was the first person on my street to have a Chrysler. My immediate neighbor has a Sebring Convertible now, and there are the two others. Down the block there have been three PT Cruisers though now there are only two, and in the other direction there is a new Charger. So sometimes it's a matter of breaking through and creating awareness. Success breeds success.

Anyway, I see one Durango on the road but I'm hoping it'll create more ;)

I had never seen a single Ram C/V on the road until a month ago when a delivery guy started using one. Now I've seen three.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
I see Durango's fairly often here in Alberta, where it seems that every other person drives an SUV or pick up, but they are far outweighed by the Grand Cherokee. That vehicle seems to outsell every other SUV around. I see some Explorer's and a few Acadia's, but the GC seems to be the pick of most.
I also see a LOT of advertising for the GC and virtually none for the Durango, which might explain it's lower sales volume up here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
I see Durango's fairly often here in Alberta, where it seems that every other person drives an SUV or pick up, but they are far outweighed by the Grand Cherokee. That vehicle seems to outsell every other SUV around. I see some Explorer's and a few Acadia's, but the GC seems to be the pick of most.
I also see a LOT of advertising for the GC and virtually none for the Durango, which might explain it's lower sales volume up here.
Well most people also just do not need a vehicle as big as the Durango. 5 passenger seating is plenty for the vast majority of customers and the price is basically the same between the two. Plus the Jeep name just has more clout.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
I'm seeing an infinite times as many as I used to -- one.

It's parked down the street.

The guy on the opposite corner walks by every week. One day I was taking photos of the inside of the 2005 or so T&C. He asked some questions, drove one, and asked his lease guy to lease him one. The lease guy said he only leased Hondas because all other cars were crap. So the far-neighbor broke with the local religious community (which all leases Odysseys from the same guy, all dark blue) and leased the Chrysler. He had no problems at all and changed it for a 2008 when the lease was up. He nearly went back to Toyota due to a brake problem but I suggested he call Chrysler. They refunded his $1,200 brake job costs, and he leased a 2011 WPC Edition -- I think the profit on that more than made up for the brake job!

His example was picked up by the Durango owner. So that's two pricey shiny new Chrysler vehicles.

I was the first person on my street to have a Chrysler. My immediate neighbor has a Sebring Convertible now, and there are the two others. Down the block there have been three PT Cruisers though now there are only two, and in the other direction there is a new Charger. So sometimes it's a matter of breaking through and creating awareness. Success breeds success.

Anyway, I see one Durango on the road but I'm hoping it'll create more ;)

I had never seen a single Ram C/V on the road until a month ago when a delivery guy started using one. Now I've seen three.
Good job Dave! I don't know how many times on my drive to work I look around me and all I see is imports!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
JRS200x said:
Correct. The 2014 Grand Cherokee's no longer have the pop out rear window. Will decrease problems with rattles though, that was the biggest problem area for us with the 2013's, as far as rattles etc goes.

Can't have rattles on your $50,000 Summit models.
Well I guess this will be my last Grand Cherokee. As of right now there are no rattles in mine, but its only a year old. I guess people are buying them for prestiege. The abiltiy to fully load them with the gate down and the glass open far out ways a few errant noises in the rear. Just my $.02. If there's no flipper glass, you've taken the Utility out of the Sport Utility Vehicle.
 

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
I'm seeing an infinite times as many as I used to -- one.

It's parked down the street.

The guy on the opposite corner walks by every week. One day I was taking photos of the inside of the 2005 or so T&C. He asked some questions, drove one, and asked his lease guy to lease him one. The lease guy said he only leased Hondas because all other cars were crap. So the far-neighbor broke with the local religious community (which all leases Odysseys from the same guy, all dark blue) and leased the Chrysler. He had no problems at all and changed it for a 2008 when the lease was up. He nearly went back to Toyota due to a brake problem but I suggested he call Chrysler. They refunded his $1,200 brake job costs, and he leased a 2011 WPC Edition -- I think the profit on that more than made up for the brake job!

His example was picked up by the Durango owner. So that's two pricey shiny new Chrysler vehicles.

I was the first person on my street to have a Chrysler. My immediate neighbor has a Sebring Convertible now, and there are the two others. Down the block there have been three PT Cruisers though now there are only two, and in the other direction there is a new Charger. So sometimes it's a matter of breaking through and creating awareness. Success breeds success.

Anyway, I see one Durango on the road but I'm hoping it'll create more ;)

I had never seen a single Ram C/V on the road until a month ago when a delivery guy started using one. Now I've seen three.
I saw my first dart on the streets last week. White. Haven't seen any in store/mall parking lots.
I haven't seen the new Durango on the street or parking lot.

vwtodd said:
We have an '09 Saturn Outlook that will need to be replaced in a few years. I was all over the Durango, until I realized that it had only 4.5 cu/ft more cargo capacity than my compact 1986 Nissan Stanza Wagon (although I'm sure the Durango is a step up ;-)

(At the 2 minute mark) http://youtu.be/cXpWhu2CQxI

I'd love to replace the Outlook in a few years with whatever Tesla Motors offers in the minivan/wagon/suv space. Until then, it's Durango or new Dodge/Chrysler minivans w/awd when available.
I always thought those Nissan Stanza wagon/van should have sold more. Along with the Mazda 5.
I like the sliding door. Ford now has it in the European grand C max
 

·
Vaguely badass...
Joined
·
43,887 Posts
Like many other vehicles, the Stanza wagon was "ahead of it's time."

I drive alongside a debadged current Durango on the way to work, and probably have seen about 5-6 overall in my local travels.
 

·
Say no to kool-aid
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
vwtodd said:
I bought the car used and kept it until the frame rusted (about 4 years). It was the 4wd model with something like 15 second 0-60, but for a first vehicle, for outdoor activities in the snow belt, in the 80's, it was great.
Yes, they said 0-60 was 13.7 seconds.... Fairly average..... My how the times have changed. It'd be what, 8-9 now? Anything over 11 is considered a DOOOOG now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
For those of us who actually plan to carry things with such trucks, the Explorer, Durango, and new long wheelbase Santa Fe are the only models which offer second row captain's chairs. Since all of the SUVs now have boxed-in cargo compartment sides, the capatins chairs make it possible to items which are longer than the cargo compartment is wide without putting down the second row seats.

suzq044, you do very nice work!
 

·
Plymouth Makes It
Joined
·
8,196 Posts
A totally Chrysler friend looked at the Durango and bought a 4 Culinder Chevy with 3 rows of seats, fairly loaded and not too much above base with Nav and satellite radio. Chrysler needs vehicles to compete.


bumonbox said:
Yes, they said 0-60 was 13.7 seconds.... Fairly average..... My how the times have changed. It'd be what, 8-9 now? Anything over 11 is considered a DOOOOG now.
I put my 0-60 limit at low 14's in the 60's any faster and you will eat the car or bus in front of you. An 11 second car would be deadly on the street today and requires a roll cage at the drag strip. Today the cars will stop but I really don;t think reaction times have changed. Don;t think there is a large market for those.
 

·
Vaguely badass...
Joined
·
43,887 Posts
So they looked at a Durango and bought an Equinox? Durango is $5K more than Equinox right out of the box and a bigger vehicle to boot.

Did they even consider Journey?
 

·
Say no to kool-aid
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
So they looked at a Durango and bought an Equinox? Durango is $5K more than Equinox right out of the box and a bigger vehicle to boot.

Did they even consider Journey?
Uhhh, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a 4 cylinder Chevy with 3 rows. The Equinox does not offer a 3rd row option (Just to check my memory, I even googled to confirm, you see). So it was not a 4 Cylinder. Bearing in mind that the Traverse is no cheaper than the durango. The Traverse isn't nearly as capable as the Durango. BUT, and I have said this before - you can get 7 seating WITH captains chairs on a traverse. If you want Captains chairs on a Durango, that's going to set you back to 6 seats. The somewhat narrow rear seats I see as bigger set back than some might think. Otherwise, the new transmission should fix most other problems. Perhaps packaging / options needs some adjustment too (the starting price is really not an issue, it's 100% competitive there)

Edit: Actually the 2013 Traverse now starts at $31370 vs the Durango's 29495. The Durango starts at nearly 2k cheaper. Chevy's site was showing the Travers starting price including the incentive when I first looked. Something Dodge doesn't do... Thankfully IMO. (I mean really, you should be showing the flat pricing, incentives change. If you are really going to show it with incentives right off the bat, then just price it lower.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
jerseyjoe said:
I put my 0-60 limit at low 14's in the 60's any faster and you will eat the car or bus in front of you. An 11 second car would be deadly on the street today and requires a roll cage at the drag strip. Today the cars will stop but I really don;t think reaction times have changed. Don;t think there is a large market for those.
You're confusing 0-60 and 1/4 mile. i think my mom's 2.4 caravan will do 0-60 in 14 seconds. The quarter mile would be like a year and a half though.
 
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Top