Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

From 2013 to 2014, the Jeep Grand Cherokee added many new features, including an expensive, state-of-the-art eight-speed automatic transmission — the same type used on top-end luxury cars. A relatively small price hike of around $1,000 will help pay for the improvements. According to Jeep.com, US buyers will pay around $29,700 for the entry-level Grand Cherokee Laredo, including destination charges. The top-of-the-line Grand Cherokee Summit starts at around $48,900 (plus $3,000 for four-wheel drive), including destination. Buyers will get superior gas mileage and acceleration, with more sophisticated stereos,  some interior materials improvements, LED tail-lights for added safety, and in some cases, upgraded headlights. The value equation has changed, but not necessarily in a negative way. The SRT Grand Cherokee will reportedly start at nearly $64,000. Canadians, who have a $1,600 destination charge, will find the Grand Cherokee starting at $30,390 (with destination), and the Summit starting at $49,595 — not..

View the original, full post

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
"(plus $3,000 for four-wheel drive),"

Do you think they'll sell many Grand Cherokees, let alone Summits without 4 wheel drive?

I hate bait and switch pricing.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
"(plus $3,000 for four-wheel drive),"

Do you think they'll sell many Grand Cherokees, let alone Summits without 4 wheel drive?

I hate bait and switch pricing.
Interesting question, since the Grand Cherokee is a good solid Chrysler SUV, that happens to offer AWD, I wonder what the take rate is for AWD?

·
Registered
387 Posts
to the point where the invoice price on a well-optioned Grand Cherokee SRT8 can hit $79,000...
Wow, I hope this isn't true... There were leaks that the SRT tops out at $72,000 MSRP and I thought that was high but at least you can somewhat justify it. Invoice at $79,000 for any SRT GC is just crazy.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
DDakRT said:
Wow, I hope this isn't true... There were leaks that the SRT tops out at $72,000 MSRP and I thought that was high but at least you can somewhat justify it. Invoice at $79,000 for any SRT GC is just crazy.
Indeed, and there goes any chance of me getting one as well! The wife was already on the fence as it was with the previous high sticker price of the SRT GC.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Interesting question, since the Grand Cherokee is a good solid Chrysler SUV, that happens to offer AWD, I wonder what the take rate is for AWD?
Thanks for the reality check...

I guess in recent years it is 100%. :)

I had forgotten that it was an AWD system, even though they call it 4 x 4 and 4WD in their marketing... only ever looked at buying used ones in the "under $5000" range a couple of years ago.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,379 Posts
Add $8000 at every price point for Canadian buyers.

Entry level Laredo starts at over $37K here. That is the #1 reason I'm driving a Journey R/T and not a GC right now.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
DDakRT said:
The pricing initially posted was incorrect. Base price is $63,900 including destination fee ($60,841 dealer invoice). Loaded up you could easily hit $72k MSPR. For some buyers it's going to hit $80k with taxes etc. That may work for SRT now while demand is strong, but once it tapers off I think the (greedy) pricing is going to come back and bite them in the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms]. Wasn't that long ago you could get a Viper for $80k.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
Thanks for the reality check...

I guess in recent years it is 100%. :)

I had forgotten that it was an AWD system, even though they call it 4 x 4 and 4WD in their marketing... only ever looked at buying used ones in the "under $5000" range a couple of years ago.
Just so you know, I wasn't being snide towards you, it really was a great question, technically, it can be 4x4 when in low lock, but most drive modes are indeed AWD, traction sensing, most of the time.
There are 2WD models and I would think, with diminished emphasis on off road ability and more emphasis on comfort and luxury, the 2WD version might be very popular?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts