Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-cherokee.html
The 2014 Jeep Cherokee was officially unveiled this morning at 12:01 am. While the appearance is not far from spy shots posted by Jalopnik.com, the official release includes full powertrain and drivetrain information.

As Allpar had reported in the weeks and months prior to the release, the V6 engine for the Cherokee will be the 3.2 liter V6, in its first outing, with 271 horsepower and 239 lb-ft of torque. The base engine is the four-cylinder TigerShark, with the same 184 hp and 171 lb-ft of torque specified for the same engine in the Dodge Dart. A single transmission is used, a nine-speed automatic; three four wheel drive systems are available, two of which have a low gear and neutral range. The Trailhawk also has a locking rear differential.
Read the whole article at: http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-cherokee.html

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry - try as I might the appearance does not work for me, front or rear. Looks like one vehicle was dropped squarely onto another, especially viewing the rear.
IMHO the Chev Traverse looks better. Thankfully I am not in the market for that type of vehicle. I would need something smaller - let's see what the next "Compatriot" will look like - I will hope a bit more traditional, unlike the new Cherokee.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Berlin Bill said:
Sorry - try as I might the appearance does not work for me, front or rear. Looks like one vehicle was dropped squarely onto another, especially viewing the rear.
That's exactly what image I have...and once you visualize that, you can't "un-see" it.

·
Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
1,317 Posts
Arrrrgh, I see all the awesome stuff (4Low, flat towing, locking rear, etc.) And get super disappointed when I see the low ground clearance and angles (and no practical way to improve them). Granted, I love my Patriot and love taking it off-road, which means I could have just as much fun in this, but since I want to increase my off-roading, there's no incentive to get a new Cherokee. Granted, it would be nice to have this as a DD (with a Wrangler for the weekends), but right now I can't see myself upgrading from my Patriot. I am starting to accept, but not necessarily like, the looks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the specifications...271hp/239 ft-lbs out of 3.2 liters? Not too shabby...

And a 9 speed auto for all, including 4 cylinders? Even better!

But truth be told, I'm looking forward to seeing these powertrains on a car more...not that I wouldn't consider buying one, I would. Now the journey has become irrelevant to me....at least till it gets a 9 speed.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Dart GT w/9 Speed?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Berlin Bill said:
Reading the press release and how Mark Allen of Jeep Design describes it, that's pretty much what it is.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Overall, it's really no uglier than the Escape and I thought it was ugly and misproportioned too.

I really think, despite the anger about it, this is probably a great vehicle and although the looks are polarizing, I guess it could have been worse.

The CRV, Rav4, and Escape all have this style look to them. Good or bad, apparently ugly is what sells and the Cherokee has far better goods underneath it.

I dunno.

Mike

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Mark Allen, Head of Jeep Design, wrote, “Our vision was a smooth and flowing upper body... mated to a tough, durable lower body.
This snipet helps me understand why the body design looks the way it does and if I block off the upper or lower portions, things don't look too bad seperately. Together, the body is the equivalent of plaid pants and a polka dot shirt.

The interior is certainly stunning. Those designers should get a big fat raise for the exceptional work they have done across the entire Chrysler lineup.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
GasAxe said:
The interior is certainly stunning. Those designers should get a big fat raise for the exceptional work they have done across the entire Chrysler lineup.
Agreed.

I much prefer the interior of this over the exterior, it is excellent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts