Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Following criticism of the styling of the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, Jeep seems to have started testing Cherokee mules with a new, more conventional front clip. If this is correct, the work was most likely started near the end of 2012, when the car was first shown to long-lead media; the changes would be expensive, involving changes to lighting, wiring, durability, cooling, aerodynamics, and crash behavior. This Automotive News photo shows the usual Alfa mule standing in for the Jeep Cherokee, clearly labelled “KL” (the Cherokee’s body code). The headlights have been moved from below the grille to a new position, much higher up, integrated with the turn signals and daytime running lights. The result is closer to the critically acclaimed “teardrop” headlights of the PT Cruiser than to the triple-row lighting used by the much-maligned Pontiac Aztek. The hood and grille are also more conventional, rather than having the “Jeep slots”..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
59 Posts
Although I would welcome a revised front, it really seems unlikely to me that Sergio would admit this as a failure so soon. Then again, he has apparently thrown people under the bus before...

Maybe, just maybe, Ralph is trying to save the styling..

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Why do I feel that this entire thing is a big throw off and this is not what we are going to see in NY?

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,378 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I think that we'll just have to see. Either see something leaked from a manufacturing plant or something better viewed driving around in test, or something official...

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,378 Posts
3.2L Engine Pics Anyone ?

They Look Just Like the 3.6L Except for the Intake & Part #'s

TMD

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow.

But, Chrysler pulled nothing short of a miracle to transform the Sebring into the 200. Can they do it again? Much less work to do, but much less time...

Makes me wonder if the lack of time makes them release the Cherokee "concept" instead of the actual Cherokee.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Chris Monaco said:
Wow.

But, Chrysler pulled nothing short of a miracle to transform the Sebring into the 200. Can they do it again? Much less work to do, but much less time...

Makes me wonder if the lack of time makes them release the Cherokee "concept" instead of the actual Cherokee.
Even if they do nothing to the outside sheetmetal, if the underlying sheetmetal structure has enough clearance to allow headlight buckets to be raised up and the plastic bumper cover redesigned, they might be able to do it without having to re-crash-test the vehicle. They might have to keep the hood, but fixing the lights may be enough for popular opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I find it odd that this mule seems to sit a lot closer to the ground than the previous mules...looks like it has about the same clearance as the Toyota beside it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
IMO The mule doesn't look any different than the early mules.

Reactions: abgwin

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
The Mad Duck said:
3.2L Engine Pics Anyone ?

They Look Just Like the 3.6L Except for the Intake & Part #'s

TMD
There are a few other passage differences... ;)

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Jackratchett said:
IMO The mule doesn't look any different than the early mules.
Agreed, those are simply the Giulietta headlights. Is Larry trying to nudge Jeep into making a move? :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Why should they release (outdated) press pics of a car when they decided to change the design already? Such a last-minute change seems pretty unlikely to me.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
If they change the front, they have to test airflow and cooling. This mule was used with the original nose for such testing, so it is possible.

·
10,394 Posts
Even if this all happens to be false, the fact that the press is reporting negative public reactions and early refreshes on a vehicle supossedly no one has seen yet is quite embarrasing.

Given all the bumps, holes and hurdles on this launch so far, the whole 2014 Cherokee intro needs to be "trail rated."

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Moparian said:
Why do I feel that this entire thing is a big throw off and this is not what we are going to see in NY?
I would be lying if I said that I also thought that "maybe, just maybe, this is one big 'work'."

pumadog said:
Why should they release (outdated) press pics of a car when they decided to change the design already? Such a last-minute change seems pretty unlikely to me.
What date were the press pics? All the EXIF data was removed from them.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts