Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Automated System
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Glenn Paulina caught a huge SRT development team in a number of prototypes for the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT8, testing the new supercharged 6.2-liter "Hellcat" V8.  It's the biggest assembly of the supercharged Challengers we've ever seen, suggesting that development is now well along for new Hellcats.

Due in 2014 as a 2015 model, the Hellcat-powered Challenger is likely what SRT boss Ralph Gilles promised when he said that SRT "will soon have an answer" for the Camaro Z/28 and Mustang GT500.

The front-end bra hides what appears to be a new lower air-intake resulting in a deeper-breathing front fascia.  The exhaust set-up looks different with the new engine mods, and looks like it will also require a new rear bumper design, as well.  Glenn Paulina said he was hearing power estimates of “something close to 600 horsepower.” Danno clarified: “Hellcat is planned to have much wider rears...

View the original, full post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
The pictures don't confirm if Charger SRT or 300 SRT are equipped with the Hellcat engine, and there are a couple of none masked Challengers.
Would they be testing a higher output 392?
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
Death Valley?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,747 Posts
Wouldn't that be a fun bunch of vehicles to play with!

The masked Challengers look to have the same headlight & turn signals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
Wouldn't that be a fun bunch of vehicles to play with!

The masked Challengers look to have the same headlight & turn signals
They are testing the cooling/air feeding parts for now..
 
  • Like
Reactions: MoparDanno

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Mopar392 said:
They are testing the cooling/air feeding parts for now..
So, they are not necessarily planning on releasing the Hellcat on the normal SRT Challenger's tires? I would think that if they are releasing a car wit that much power, that they will finally put the tires on it that it deserves.

The Hellcat would seem to me to be more an answer to the ZL1/GT500, than the Z28. The Z28 is a different beast entirely. The Z06, and ZR1 are the only cars faster than it is around a race track, and that isn't by much. For the HC-Chally to do battle with the Z28, it'd have to lose a lot a lot of weight, and gain some track acumen that, while very good in the Challenger SRT, just isn't in league with where the Z28 is right now. THe z28 is very very track focussed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
Mopar392 said:
The pictures don't confirm if Charger SRT or 300 SRT are equipped with the Hellcat engine, and there are a couple of none masked Challengers.
Would they be testing a higher output 392?
Hellcat is being tested in Chargers. Apparently no 300's have been seen with the HC in it. I do know that noise has been an issue with them, and that might explain the lack of a 300 variant, I believe they want to keep the 300 more refined as a BMW/Merc/Audi type fighter.

Muther said:
So, they are not necessarily planning on releasing the Hellcat on the normal SRT Challenger's tires? I would think that if they are releasing a car wit that much power, that they will finally put the tires on it that it deserves.

The Hellcat would seem to me to be more an answer to the ZL1/GT500, than the Z28. The Z28 is a different beast entirely. The Z06, and ZR1 are the only cars faster than it is around a race track, and that isn't by much. For the HC-Chally to do battle with the Z28, it'd have to lose a lot a lot of weight, and gain some track acumen that, while very good in the Challenger SRT, just isn't in league with where the Z28 is right now. THe z28 is very very track focussed.
HC is planned to have much wider rears. In fact, I am not even sure that the Challenger with the bra is a HC car.... From what I have been told, all of the HC Challengers have different Volante wheels, and the only one that has those is the car you can just see the back of behind the 300 in the last photo. THAT one is a HC car for sure. I looked and didnt see any other direct pictures of that particular car.

EDIT: I take that back, you can barely see the Volant wheels in the top 3 pictures. That is not the same car as the rear shot in picture #4 with the normal SRT Wheels. No clear shot of the front of #4, so that might be the one that they are testing the new fascia on.

You can also see the difference in the rear tire width in the top shot. Those arent 255's in that picture ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Very good. From what you said, it is clear that the #1 top shot, the tires are much wider than the rear shot in #4 bottom.

Also, I was refering to GM cars only, when I said that only Z06 and ZR1 were faster and not by much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
Is it possible that the Charger and 300 do not need front end modification for proper breathing with the new engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
TripleT said:
Is it possible that the Charger and 300 do not need front end modification for proper breathing with the new engine?
I'm not familiar with the current air flow of the current design, but I doubt it'd stay the same with Hellcat..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
InkGoblin said:
Any one notice the hood vents?
Please elaborate, there are alot of hood vents in those pictures, but nothing that seems out of the ordinary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
InkGoblin said:
Driver side hood vent is open,passanger side looks chrome. I'm on an ipod so its hard to see.
mm... reflection off the plastic. Looks like stock SRT inserts to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Danno said:
mm... reflection off the plastic. Looks like stock SRT inserts to me.
Same reflection from three separate angles? Unlikely. Something is different about them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
I also see a bit of a bulge in the hood of the Charger in the bottom picture. I think it is higher than on a standard SRT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
Muther said:
Same reflection from three separate angles? Unlikely. Something is different about them.
Eh, looks like stock stuff to me. Mine did the same thing when the sun was high n bright. You can see the black plastic of the drivers side one in the closeup.... They ARENT pulling air from up there to feed the motor, no way thats enough area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Whats with all the hype about SRT Hellcat masked unmasked blah blah blah. Didn't anyone notice that sweet [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] mini van....now that would be kick [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] to drive. Also who is taking these pictures the quality is crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
your all wrong, in the persuit of fuel economy all SRT products from 2014 on will have the pentastar V6 and a sound recording of a V8.....apparently SRT have given up on trying to compete with the likes of GM and Ford so are going for a cheaper optinon, as most of these cars are used as a posing pouch thats all they are going to need, long live Prius I say!!
 
1 - 20 of 262 Posts
Top