Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Spy photographer Chris Doane believes he’s spotted a HellCat-powered, LA-bodied 2015 Dodge Challenger running on the streets of the greater Detroit area. Allpar has previously reported that the car would have an eight-speed automatic behind a supercharged 6.2 Hemi, good for 560-580 horsepower or so. Direct competitors would be the Shelby GT500 and Camaro ZL1/Z28. Mr Doane claimed as support the exhaust note, “nothing short of thunder!.” and the larger brake calipers and cross-drilled brake rotors; the current Challenger SRT8 uses smaller calipers and smaller, solid/slotted rotors. The front end has been modified very moderately, unlike a past shot of what was believed to be a Barracuda prototype, the camouflage hides extra air intakes. There is some room for doubt, but this might indeed be our first glimpse of the new Challenger. If so, it would show remarkable restraint on the part of Chrysler designers, in keeping the classic..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
667 Posts
Am wondering if this is just a "test-mule" car being used to break-in the new drive-train(Hellcat) and the car will be different(reduced in size somewhat, etc.) as originally planned or if indeed it's the 2015?? I LOVE the current car and hope the engineers don't stray too far away..... but I also have faith that if the car IS changed, it will be spectacular based upon R.Gilles' recent comments. Anyone know?
Thanks and take care.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree that Dodge is just using the current model with a intercooler grille added. More HP is long overdue. If you don't believe me trying taking on a current Mustang V6 or V8.

A new hood for the higher HP models such as the SRT is long overdue with a functional ram air.

·
3,813 Posts
No no.. everyone is going to claim now that the Challenger doesn't compete with the Mustang or Camaro. Its their answer to the Challenger deficiencies.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
This car is yummy. Look at the gigantic 6 Piston Brembos and rotors that look like satellite dishes. Chrysler may very well be stepping it up quite a bit with the next Challenger.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I liked the Cuda look on the others, but it is encouraging to see additional testing.

Any chance the Cuda-look nose was all a trick to generate speculation/drive misinformation?

·
Registered
82 Posts
"Direct competitors would be the Shelby GT500 and Camaro ZL1/Z28."

Again, when you say competitor, you have to be right there with your competitor. GT500 has 662hp, If this Challenger is going to have 560-580hp........they've lost before they begun unless this new Challenger is 500+ lbs less than the Shelby.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cajun300C said:
"Direct competitors would be the Shelby GT500 and Camaro ZL1/Z28."

Again, when you say competitor, you have to be right there with your competitor. GT500 has 662hp, If this Challenger is going to have 560-580hp........they've lost before they begun unless this new Challenger is 500+ lbs less than the Shelby.
Exactly. And that kind of weight reduction is going to be incredibly difficult if it remains the same size.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The new brakes look awesome. However, the tire size is somewhat worrying. The current 470HP SRT cars already have enough trouble getting the power down through their narrow tires. These tires seem marginally, if any wider at all. You can't send 600HP through a 255 width tire and expect things to end well unless you run some ridiculous compound.

The GT500 is using 285 width tires, and the ZL1 has 305s.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
superchargers and heat exchangers DO weigh a fair bit. it wouldnt surprise me to see a gain in weight. i also wouldnt be surprised to see a change to the rest of the driveline. ~600 hp seems to be the weak spot for the stock drive shafts and differentials by our "crude" test standards. i know for a fact that it would be quite difficult for powertrain department to give it an okay to handle 570-600 hp. especially if the 8hp90 is in the mix (low 1st gear)

·
Registered
156 Posts
JRS200x said:
No, it isn't. The Challenger is and always has been.
When the Barracuda arrives, the Challenger will no longer be directly compared to the Mustang and Camaro.

For now, I think it has to shrink slightly to compete and then possibly grow back when the Barracuda arrives. Almost like how Cadillac handled the CTS's size when the ATS arrived. Even the Mustang is rumored to shrink to sell better in the new European market.

I just wish we knew the size of the next-gen Challenger and plans on the Barracuda so we can settle this "competitor" debate once and for all.

·
Registered
156 Posts
JRS200x said:
The Barracuda isn't coming any time soon, if at all.
CarsandGuitars said:
Condidering all of the changes in direction, Barracuda could well be a Toyobaru BRZ competitor instead.
Do we actually know this about the Barracuda? If this is true, would the next-gen Challenger be shrinking in size/weight?

A BRZ competitor wouldn't be competing with the Mustang/Camaro...

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
IF someone "KNOWS" something about the Barracuda, that Ralph did say was coming after the Challenger, it would be news to me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a garage bay that fits my '73 Dart Sport perfectly...and the Mustang is just a little bit tight in there. If the Challenger was shrunk enough to fit, I'd be signing over the title to my Mustang faster than you can say "Hellcat,"

Is anyone else frustrated with the ever changing rumors on these cars? The latest that I have heard is that the 'Cuda is off the table and that the Challenger MAY be lightened up a bit for a refresh... but I feel like I'm getting old waiting for Ma Mopar's next move! :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts