Allpar Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
35,531 Posts
Sergio has said they could not do the D-RWD Alfa without a Dodge version to justify the sales.

I don't think Challenger is the "answer" to Mustang. I think it's a car they were going to do from the start, and Mustang is the most comparable Ford.

·
Registered
160 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Sergio has said they could not do the D-RWD Alfa without a Dodge version to justify the sales.

I don't think Challenger is the "answer" to Mustang. I think it's a car they were going to do from the start, and Mustang is the most comparable Ford.
Yeah, that comment from Sergio rings a bell... but does this mean that they are or aren't going through with it? It's really hard to get a read on this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in a meeting with he and Gilles!

I agree that the Challenger not their answer to Mustang/Camaro but I'm not sure that they had much choice in the matter. I suspect that in a world where they had more platforms to choose from, the Challenger wouldn't have been made on a full sized car platform and it likely could have been crafted to be a Mustang fighter. Just my guess...

Also, while they are extremely different in execution, the Challenger is definitely cross-shopped with the Mustang and Camaro, almost as a standard procedure. I know i did! Challenger was the best looking, best in concept, wonderful engine, just too big. I bought my second favorite.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
What is funny is that the Challenger was larger than CamaroStang back in the day, and it was built from a larger platform(?), and it had then, as it does now, weight and size issues when compared to Mustang/Camaro. The 'Barracuda was originally built on a smaller platform and moved to the Challenger platform. The original Barracuda was a much better Mustang/Camoro competitor, at least from a size standpoint. In a way, Mopar is moving back to 1969/70.

·
Super Moderator
37,234 Posts
Even when they were both on the E body platform, Challenger was longer than Barracuda. Barracuda was the Camaro/Mustang competitor, Challenger was designed to compete more with the (then Mustang based) Cougar.

·
Registered
156 Posts
DaveAdmin said:

Isn't the D-RWD the platform they are rumored to use for the Avenger replacement? Dodge's blue collar 3-series (even though it's a midsize)?

I just can't imagine that their Camaro/Mustang competitor will be a platform-mate of a sedan. But, I could be wrong. I can only imagine the Mustang/Camaro challenger (hehe) be on the LA platform, whatever it may be.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My Challenger's space in the garage used to belong to my '96 Thunderbird. The T-bird was actually 2-3" longer; I get a little more leeway with how deeply I park now.

If the Challenger had been Mustang sized, it's possible that I would own a Charger today instead. Though I have no need for 4 doors, I wanted better interior room than the Mustang offered.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ptschett said:
My Challenger's space in the garage used to belong to my '96 Thunderbird. The T-bird was actually 2-3" longer; I get a little more leeway with how deeply I park now.

If the Challenger had been Mustang sized, it's possible that I would own a Charger today instead. Though I have no need for 4 doors, I wanted better interior room than the Mustang offered.
The Challenger reminds me a lot of those T-Birds. Similar idea of a comfy performance coupe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am also curious of the D-RWD platform, no one likes to speak of it (or possibly no details of it what so ever). This might be a platform that would be better use to make a Camaro/Mustang competitor.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Hammer00 said:
I liked the Cuda look on the others, but it is encouraging to see additional testing.

Any chance the Cuda-look nose was all a trick to generate speculation/drive misinformation?
There are 4 different engines that need to be tested with the new face, V6, R/T, 392HEMI and 6.2SC..

The different look should contribute to the different lines and engines..

·
Registered
248 Posts
MRGTX said:
I have a garage bay that fits my '73 Dart Sport perfectly...and the Mustang is just a little bit tight in there. If the Challenger was shrunk enough to fit, I'd be signing over the title to my Mustang faster than you can say "Hellcat,"

Is anyone else frustrated with the ever changing rumors on these cars? The latest that I have heard is that the 'Cuda is off the table and that the Challenger MAY be lightened up a bit for a refresh... but I feel like I'm getting old waiting for Ma Mopar's next move! :D
You and me both ! If First place is everything what is second place ? :scared:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts