Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It’s close enough now to be practically official: the 3.0 liter Pentastar V6. While it is unlikely to have direct injection when it arrives (the five year plan chart above has been modified numerous times and may have been a tad optimistic), the 2988 cc (or so) engine was created largely because there are punitive taxes on cars with engines displacing 3 liters and more in Europe. By coming in at just under 3000 cc (3 liters), the new Pentastar V6 will provide a relatively affordable gasoline V6 option for the Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and 300/Thema. Production is reportedly set to begin in summer 2013, once the 3.2 liter engine has its full-scale launch. The 3.2 is earmarked for the Jeep Cherokee at first, but is likely to be used in numerous other cars; it provides nearly the same power as the 3.6, but with considerably better gas mileage,..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
46 Posts
Look at all the "DI TC" engines...nice.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wonder what it will cost, compared to the 3.6? Sounds like there will be a pretty nice selection.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Is that the OLD chart?
It shows the 3.3, not the 3.2 and the last I heard, the 3.0 was dropped?
Source?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm somewhat curious as to whether it will also share the same block. If I read correctly, the 3.2 and 3.6 do, but with essentially thicker liners to account for the different displacement.

That also seemed weird to me, since there were comments about the 3.2 being for the Liberty/Cherokee, as it would somehow allow better suspension travel - but if it's the same block, how does that work?

Or perhaps I'm missing something obvious here - if so I welcome the correction.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JRS200x said:
It says in the post that it is the old 2009 Chart being used.
Thank you, I didn't see that footnote when I looked earlier.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,106 Posts
Too many different displacement engines get expensive, if they are all the same block. crank, cam drive system than it can be adjusted by bore size and pistons, that's the least expensive way. Any other methods would make it more expensive because a lot more different sized parts would be required. Sounds like pricing will be done by the amount of air moved through the engine.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Close, jerseyjoe Very Close.

Just Factor In Less Internal Moving Parts Friction.

TMD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts