Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Allpar sources are claiming that the “Hellcat” Hemi coming up in the next year or two, the supercharged 6.2 V-8 engine to be built alongside the 5.7 and SRT 6.4, will boast a serious power boost, with 550-640 horsepower expected. There has been no word yet on what technologies the new engine will bring, other than a supercharger, which will also help high-altitude acceleration for those thrilling mountain chases. Its first use is expected to be in a relaunched 2015 Dodge Challenger, on the new LA platform (which was originally to spawn an SRT Barracuda), released sometime next year — Chrysler’s usually optimistic schedule has an unveiling in March 2014, with reliable source oh2o marking down July 2014 as the production start date.  The SRT Barracuda might still end up with the 6.2, but Barracuda will not be based on the “L” cars. One of the primary goals of the..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
667 Posts
Can't wait!! Lot's of excitement stemming from mother Mopar these days! Lot's to of things to make someone proud and happy!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Not just for the engine the wait is going to be worth, there are a lot of changes being made, this will be another kind of beast !
Chevy and Ford fans, a new kid will knock you down!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I love the news, I REALLY hope the SRT guys aren't afraid to out-do their own V10 with this - because unless they decide to hold back, I don't see how a supercharged 6.2 Hemi would NOT beat the NA Viper engine!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tomguy said:
I love the news, I REALLY hope the SRT guys aren't afraid to out-do their own V10 with this - because unless they decide to hold back, I don't see how a supercharged 6.2 Hemi would NOT beat the NA Viper engine!
Isn't the Viper due for a refresh around the same time? Maybe they'll both jump up in power?

There's no way they'll allow the Viper's engine to be beat. Matched at best.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Chris Monaco said:
There's no way they'll allow the Viper's engine to be beat. Matched at best.
I hope they don't take the Dumbler attitude like that, it's why the ME Four-Twelve never got made - it couldn't compete with or beat the precious SLR. The Viper is a street legal track car, totally different from the Chally; even if the supercharged 6.2 beats it by a good deal the Viper would probably still have power:weight in its corner.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
@Dave, I think there's a typo in the piece:
" The SRT Barracuda might still end up with the 6.2, but it will not be based on the “L” cars.
One of the primary goals of the LA platform is to allow Barracuda to finally use the hot eight-speed automatic"

I think you meant to say the Challenger, not Barracuda, in the second phrase.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Tomguy said:
I hope they don't take the Dumbler attitude like that, it's why the ME Four-Twelve never got made - it couldn't compete with or beat the precious SLR. The Viper is a street legal track car, totally different from the Chally; even if the supercharged 6.2 beats it by a good deal the Viper would probably still have power:weight in its corner.
Facts and reality almost always work with logical, intelligent individuals but not as much with the rest of the populace.

Since car buying of this type is predominantly motivated by emotion, I'd think that peak engine number will matter. This is despite the fact that the most area under the curve is a much better attribute than peak numbers (even with more gears to play with).

Thinking positively, my hope is that the Hellcat engine beats Fords number and Viper (once again) goes higher to the top of the heap. Then we can finally say that the real Mopar is back.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Viper is refreshed, but that doesn't mean the engine will receive any significant bump in power... Not until we see a Gen VI at least.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good point. Well, we'll see what they do. I think this is a "good problem to have." Like when the Neon could outrace every non-Viper the company made.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Two different beasts, for two different customers, a Viper will always be a Viper, and will be much more expensive.
The new beast will be a fighter for the Cobra and such cars.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
W00t!!!!

A true to life factory supercharged hemi. Anybody that says this isn't a golden age of Mopar has no idea what they are talking about. Forced induction, of the belt driven kind, should really bring the hemi alive (not that it wasn't before, but we all know that hemi's do really well under forced induction).

I don 't think the Viper output will have much to do with the limits of peak power in the hellcat. I think piston skirts, transmissions, universal joints, and warranty will have lots more effect. I think if anything, like Red said, the Viper would get a "halo-pride" power boost. I do hope that SRT re-enters Trans Am racing. I get vomitous hearing and seeing all those Camaros, Mustangs, and Vette's, cleaning up in TA, AND TA2. (Challenger T/A's in TA2, and Viper TA's in TA would be very nice indeed.)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Road Runner said:
Mr source! Can you please recap what exterior changes will be made?
Of course not my friend !

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
srtviperam said:
well does it look better then the current one/?
I am sure it will look (at least a little) different and good. But you can't get much better than the current Challenger design. I am just hoping it looks as good... :)

1 - 20 of 142 Posts