Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It has been at least a year since Allpar was last told that a non-SRT version of the 6.4 liter V8 engine was being developed for use in heavy-duty Ram pickups, the idea being to get a more powerful gasoline engine to counter similar models at Chevy and Ford -- not for high speeds, but for better towing and hauling. Like the 5.7 Hemi that's now available, it would be able to drop down to four cylinders when loafing around, saving fuel. Reader Zach sent in this screen shot from the Ram Build & Price site, which we could not reproduce when we went. It's unlikely that the SRT version of the 6.4 Hemi engine would be included in this truck, and of course the five-speed automatic is gone for 2013 (replaced by a similar six-speed). What we are probably seeing is one of two things: Yet again, Chrysler’s..

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Keep in mind, the 6.4 Ram's which I saw in Colorado, were 2014's, not 2012 or 2013's, so a little patience is in order. ;)

Reactions: dfarc

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
Lol, on the byo dart you can get a 5.7 on some configs.. Or at least you could.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
suzq044 said:
Lol, on the byo dart you can get a 5.7 on some configs.. Or at least you could.
I saw that too. I actually tried to pick the 6.4 on it... it wouldn't let me.

I've seen the 6 speed DDCT listed on the Challenger before, too. I think the way the Dodge site handles cookies & sessions is a bit wonky.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
About six maybe eight months ago Plum Crazy Purple showed up on the Dodge website when "building" a Challenger. It was there long enough for a quick screen grab then gone. Well now we know it is here, unlike the Dart we know a 6.4 is possible in a Ram. Still leaves us with who knows?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well on the dodge.ca site the choice of engines in the Challenger are still a 1 litre V6 with 305 HP, a 1 litre V8 with 372 HP, or a 1 litre V8 with 470 HP. I wonder if they'll ever figure that out. B)

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
55Plaza said:
Well on the dodge.ca site the choice of engines in the Challenger are still a 1 litre V6 with 305 HP, a 1 litre V8 with 372 HP, or a 1 litre V8 with 470 HP. I wonder if they'll ever figure that out. B)
Those would be some tiny cylinders!!

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
How embarrassing. This is a real problem, not the panel gap shown on a TV show.

Everyone should be up at arms about this. The build and price is on the front line of car shopping wars. It should always work properly and work accurately with up to date pricing, packages, and correct, realistic appearing colors.

Ugh.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mike V. said:

Everyone should be up at arms about this. The build and price is on the front line of car shopping wars. It should always work properly and work accurately with up to date pricing, packages, and correct, realistic appearing colors.

Ugh.

Mike
Agreed... as I posted elsewhere, I tried to build and price a 2012 Ram 2500 in Outdoorsman package and as soon as I would select the 6.7L Cummins option I'd get kicked into Ram 1500 land

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
Uh, yeah, if people are going by those shoddy (and i'm putting that nicely) photoshop-jobs for color, they're going to get a nasty surprise when their awesome-online-looking color, comes from the factory as a flat-color.(read: Laguna Blue for the dart among others).

I mean, seriously. That's the first place people go to check out these cars. Why on earth would you not put more $ into the BYO site? Especially when you can't even see "the hundreds of ways to customize the car through Mopar accessories". To see them actually ON THE CAR would sell a hell of a lot more than seeing a picture of the part on the shelf.. on a different site, etc. Something like what Scion does would be better, IMO. When they first launched, it was very fun to play with, you'd see every single option added, from cargo-net to door-guards. The doors would open & you could see it.. Something fun to play with & truly configure your own car. Especially on cars that are ADVERTISED TO BE HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Possibly a symptom of the same problem? Being sincere here.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
GasAxe said:
Possibly a symptom of the same problem? Being sincere here.
Two very different groups. If Chrysler wants to make a good impression then they need to fix their website. It is viewed by far more people than a silly TV show on BBCA.

Mike

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Two seperate groups under the same leadership. What is a neccesary compromise in one group may be viewed as a "why should we bother when they don't" attitude in another. Either way, the most positive impression possible to give to the consumer should be paramount. The continued website issues are troubling.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
GasAxe said:
Two seperate groups under the same leadership. What is a neccesary compromise in one group may be viewed as a "why should we bother when they don't" attitude in another. Either way, the most positive impression possible to give to the consumer should be paramount. The continued website issues are troubling.
No way, not going there. This is not the same a as a preproduction vehicle being used on Top Gear.

The website issues have been a constant complaint here on Allpar for years. Its time Chrysler step up.

Mike

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Mike V. said:

Ugh.

Mike
^ This.

Because when I use the build & price for say a Ford Mustang it not only works, it shows me much more than say a Challenger's or Charger's one does.

The build & price needs to work & work right. I highly doubt I need to buy a WHITE SRT8 Charger to get the black fascia delete but it always forces me to white when I pick it (say from blue - and I've SEEN blue with the black delete). When I pick Black Vapor Chrome wheels, the wheels on the picture need to change to show black vapor chrome wheels. The pictures shouldn't be little tiny things to show you what the car might look like, they need to be larger images that show what the car WILL look like. I don't want to have to imagine my next car, I want to SEE it before I go into the dealer and say "This is what I want, order it for me please!"

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I never said it was and specifically stated each group is under different constraints. How Chrysler can let something as obvious as their website be consistantly plauged with problems makes me wonder if the culture of quality stops at the end of the production line. We've seen some tremendous improvements in vehicle quality and the sales show it. Chrysler shouldn't and probably can't afford to wait for word of mouth to promote their product. The groups in control of presentation need to step it up, IMHO. :soapbox:

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Tomguy said:
^ This.

Because when I use the build & price for say a Ford Mustang it not only works, it shows me much more than say a Challenger's or Charger's one does.

The build & price needs to work & work right. I highly doubt I need to buy a WHITE SRT8 Charger to get the black fascia delete but it always forces me to white when I pick it (say from blue - and I've SEEN blue with the black delete). When I pick Black Vapor Chrome wheels, the wheels on the picture need to change to show black vapor chrome wheels. The pictures shouldn't be little tiny things to show you what the car might look like, they need to be larger images that show what the car WILL look like. I don't want to have to imagine my next car, I want to SEE it before I go into the dealer and say "This is what I want, order it for me please!"
Exactly...

If anyone here hasn't tried the Ford Build and Price app on Ford.com you should try it. It really makes Chrysler's look bad.

Mike

GasAxe said:
I never said it was and specifically stated each group is under different constraints. How Chrysler can let something as obvious as their website be consistantly plauged with problems makes me wonder if the culture of quality stops at the end of the production line. We've seen some tremendous improvements in vehicle quality and the sales show it. Chrysler shouldn't and probably can't afford to wait for word of mouth to promote their product. The groups in control of presentation need to step it up, IMHO. :soapbox:
However, that has nothing to do with the Viper used on Top Gear. All manufacturers use preproduction cars for media use. I agree that quality should be the priority and the website should be part of that.

Take a look at the Ford build and price app/tool. It is amazing compared to Chrysler. Chrysler should meet and exceed Ford's website and make it a priority to do it ASAP.

Mike

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
I tried to find their builder yesterday, and couldn't. Lol

I like scions, myself.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
I tried to find their builder yesterday, and couldn't. Lol

I like scions, myself.
Pick a Ford vehicle then hit the blue build and price button. if you click on "cars" it shows each car and when you hover over there is a build and price link also.

It's not hard to find. I like it because it shows everything on the car and the colors are accurate. It even shows accessories on the car.

I'll look at Scion now, ewww... it doesn't show wheels change and there are no real options on these cars. Layout is ok, but the vehicle on the screen doesn't change. Yuck.

Mike

1 - 20 of 41 Posts