Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It has been at least a year since Allpar was last told that a non-SRT version of the 6.4 liter V8 engine was being developed for use in heavy-duty Ram pickups, the idea being to get a more powerful gasoline engine to counter similar models at Chevy and Ford -- not for high speeds, but for better towing and hauling. Like the 5.7 Hemi that's now available, it would be able to drop down to four cylinders when loafing around, saving fuel. Reader Zach sent in this screen shot from the Ram Build & Price site, which we could not reproduce when we went. It's unlikely that the SRT version of the 6.4 Hemi engine would be included in this truck, and the five-speed automatic is gone for 2013 (replaced by a similar six-speed). The most popular engine, a diesel, isn't there, and there are other Ram 2500 transmission..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
162 Posts
I really wish they would put the 6.4 Hemi in the 2500/3500 HD's as an option. The 5.7 is a great engine and it powers these trucks quite well, but it does get a little anemic when you really pull a heavy load. I would certainly be in the market for a 6.4 (or whatever they come up with) option. The majority of the time my current Ram 2500 5.7 doesn't pull anything, during the winter I pull around snowmobile trailers (no big deal), but 3 or 4 times during the summer I load up my antique Farmall tractor (7,500 lbs) on my dual axle flatbed equipment trailer (5,000) lbs to go to antique tractor pulls. The 5.7 does it, but does work hard and something in the 400+ hp range with 450+ lbs torque would do all the better. I just cant justify spending the additional $8000-$9000 to go for a diesel for this type of use and I don't really care if the truck gets 12 mpg or worse (which I dont think it would). I just want more HP from the factory.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've had this exact same issue happen to me before when building a Dart.

It happened when I built a Challenger, then went "Back" to build a Dart. I didn't use the select a new vehicle, I just used the back key on my browser.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had a lot of issues with the Ram build site when using firefox... I tried to build a 2012 Ram 2500 outdoorsman and as soon as I would select the 6.7L Cummins option it would kick me into a Ram 1500... I'd say Ram has a lot of website issues to resolve.

I think you'll see the 6.4 make it's first appearance in the Ram 4500/5500 trucks though...

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Hoax or not: I doubt a 'detuned' 6.4L V8 would deliver any worse MPG than the present 5.7L----------especially in a 3/4 Ton or higher pickup. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Orbit Orange said:
I'd be interested in a 470 HP 6.4 Hemi V8 in a RCSB 1500. A SRT8 Ram 1500. :)
YES!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts