Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"’Just stick with Chrysler, and you'll be fine.’" Those were the words then-Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca shared with Bernie Zeidman in the early 1980s, during a national meeting in Las Vegas.“

This guy is older than my dad! Salesman, 88, has no plans to retire

@BobbiBigWheels that only leaves you 60 more years to go :D

·
The "Front-Line" Perspective
3,245 Posts
"’Just stick with Chrysler, and you'll be fine.’" Those were the words then-Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca shared with Bernie Zeidman in the early 1980s, during a national meeting in Las Vegas.“

This guy is older than my dad! Salesman, 88, has no plans to retire

@BobbiBigWheels that only leaves you 60 more years to go :D
I retired as a salesman in September of 2017, however, I hope I am retired come 88 ;)

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Jeepaholic
5,640 Posts
He sounds like an interesting guy. :)

The gentleman that we bought our Encore from back in 2013 was in his 80's. I didn't see him the last time I took the vehicle in for service, but checking the website, he is still listed as a sales/leasing consultant. Heckuva nice guy...if we were to shop for an Enclave, I'd definitely ask if he was available. He said he was working because he was bored at home, and wanted to keep busy. I sure hope that is true, and not because he HAS to work. I like to see people actually enjoy their work, and not so much to see people work because they can't afford to retire.

·
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The gentleman that we bought our Encore from back in 2013 was in his 80's. I didn't see him the last time I took the vehicle in for service, but checking the website, he is still listed as a sales/leasing consultant. Heckuva nice guy...if we were to shop for an Enclave, I'd definitely ask if he was available. He said he was working because he was bored at home, and wanted to keep busy. I sure hope that is true, and not because he HAS to work. I like to see people actually enjoy their work, and not so much to see people work because they can't afford to retire.
Indeed: “having no plans to retire”, vs “having no retirement plan”...

·
Jeepaholic
5,640 Posts
Or having plans to retire and through one reason or another your pension/retirement funds disappear before your eyes. Putting all the eggs in one basket has sunk a lot of unfortunate people.

Reactions: wtxiceman

·
3,245 Posts
Or having plans to retire and through one reason or another your pension/retirement funds disappear before your eyes. Putting all the eggs in one basket has sunk a lot of unfortunate people.
Fortunately, the car industry does not come with a pension. It makes us sales people disciplined in understanding that only we can control our retirement destiny, and must plan accordingly. Some invest, some purchase real estate.

·
Registered
282 Posts

What are your thoughts on the Enclave?

·
Jeepaholic
5,640 Posts
Fortunately, the car industry does not come with a pension. It makes us sales people disciplined in understanding that only we can control our retirement destiny, and must plan accordingly. Some invest, some purchase real estate.
I don’t know how many industries/companies do have pensions anymore. They did away with ours, but I was able to keep mine because I’ve been there long enough. The new hires were given a 403b with employer contributions. I have a 403b too, just not the employer matching. For me it was a no-brainer to stay with the pension, I’ll come out way ahead, but I’m covered no matter what. Planning is key, and it helps that we’re both savers and not spenders.

·
Jeepaholic
5,640 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Enclave?
I haven’t had a chance to look one over closely yet. We’ve looked at the outside, and we like them very much. We were looking at a bright red Avenir on the lot a few weeks ago...really attractive vehicle. Our dealer is excellent, and our Encore has been a very good vehicle with zero issues in 5 years (knock on wood :D). So Enclave will get a look from us for sure whenever it is that we finally make a purchase...but I’d really like the option of a V8, so I might prefer Durango. We shall see.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,117 Posts
You need a cushon no matter what happens, house, savings or both. Be ready to move.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thus why Im starting to pound away at RRSP's, especially in the "good" months

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
That guy looks amazing for 88 years old!

·
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No job comes with a pension, any more. Well, besides politics...

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Public safety jobs still do. But the pensions have been degraded, and cities and towns have gotten away with defaulting on their half of the contributions.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,808 Posts
Public safety jobs still do. But the pensions have been degraded, and cities and towns have gotten away with defaulting on their half of the contributions.
My mother retired from the city where she was the secretary for the city attorney. She was employed there for over 20 years ago. The city paid into the state retirement system on her behalf. The year after she retired the city stopped paying into the system and opted to set up 401K retirement plans for the current employees. I'm not sure, but the state retirement system was starting to have funding issues.

I worked for A&P part time many years ago. The retirement plan has been in crisis or emergency mode for the past 5+ years. As a part timer I am eligible for a limited amount, but it's not much - about $120/month. Might end up being less by the time I am eligible to receive funds.

·
3,245 Posts
No job comes with a pension, any more. Well, besides politics...
Unions are still very much a strong pension job in my parts. My father in-law intentional chose a profession with a ridiculous pension (bus driver) and retired 5 years early utilizing it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I haven’t had a chance to look one over closely yet. We’ve looked at the outside, and we like them very much. We were looking at a bright red Avenir on the lot a few weeks ago...really attractive vehicle. Our dealer is excellent, and our Encore has been a very good vehicle with zero issues in 5 years (knock on wood :D). So Enclave will get a look from us for sure whenever it is that we finally make a purchase...but I’d really like the option of a V8, so I might prefer Durango. We shall see.
Yea they look pretty nice. I'm not in a huge rush for an SUV so I have been waiting on something from Chrysler. I think Buick is really getting rid of the stigma of them being for old people since I want one. Ha!

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
Yea they look pretty nice. I'm not in a huge rush for an SUV so I have been waiting on something from Chrysler. I think Buick is really getting rid of the stigma of them being for old people since I want one. Ha!
New Regal Sportback looks great IMO. Especially the GS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts