Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Larry Vellequette wrote in Automotive News about Sergio Marchionne’s reported changes to the Five Year Plan: The original plan called for three Chrysler brand vehicles to be built by Fiat in 2012-13; these have been dropped, and one existing car will be refreshed in 2014. (Mr. Vellequette believes this will be the 200, though the 300 is also a potential candidate.) Three new vehicles will appear in 2015 — most likely the new 200, a new 300, and the Town & Country replacement. The originally planned Chrysler 100 might have been one of the cars that was dropped, possibly due to slow Dart sales. The small Jeep, built by Fiat, has been delayed until 2014; Allpar will report more on the reasons for this later today. The Fiat-built Ram, most likely the Doblo, has been delayed by two years and will show up in 2014; two new Rams are..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
So no Dart SRT until at least 2016? Hmmm, and thats assuming that its not something else like a Barracuda.

·
50th Member Club
103 Posts
Wow the change in FIAT-architecture vehicles in Chrysler is dramatic. They're almost all gone! Weren't some just months from being revealed? That's quite a shift in strategy. You can also see that the dramatic styling/changes to Chrysler have resulted in a much longer outlook for a badly needed expanded line-up. My guess is the CY2014 spot holds a refreshed 300 and all-new 200.

2015 looks like a 2011 moment for Chrysler, with a wave of new vehicles wearing the new design language coming to market at once.

And it looks like we still have a few surprises yet in 2013. Cherokee, Promaster, Durango, & Alfa's hello to the market.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Moparian said:
So no Dart SRT until at least 2016? Hmmm, and thats assuming that its not something else like a Barracuda.
That's too far away for me. When is the Charger being refreshed? 2014?

There is also a new vehicle in 2015 for Dodge as well as 2016.

What do the triangles with numbers mean?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
What is the SRT refresh in 2015 for?

There is also a new vehicle in 2015 for Dodge as well as 2016.

When is the Charger being refreshed? 2014?
Viper refresh in 2015.
2015 is probably the new Caravan or whatever it will be called. 2016 probably the Barracuda. Could be flip flopped too.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I look at the SRT chart and think....
3 vehicles being refreshed for 2014 ....
Charger
Challenger

I look at the Dodge chart and think
2 vehicles being refreshed for 2014 ....
Charger
Challenger

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
To me the idea that either (or both) 200 or 300 is going to get 2 refreshes within one year of itself seems very cost prohibitive. My guess would be:
Chrysler:
2014: New 200, Refreshed 300 (8 speed for the hemis, possible 6.2 for special edition SRTs)
2015: New 100, New T&C Replacement, New 300

Dodge:
2014: Refreshed Challenger, Refreshed Charger (8 speed for the hemis, possible 6.2 for special edition SRTs)
2015: New LA vehicle, Refresh Minivan

Having the 300/Charger/Challenger as refreshed in 2014 makes the most sense since 3 SRT vehicles are being refreshed in 2014. It could be viper, but my guess is that's 2015 at earliest.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
The revised Plan hopefully, reflects some flexibility and dawning reality on Marchionne's part.
It's been commented upon many times that the US is not Europe and you just can't flood the market here with rebadged Fiats.
The slow sales of the 500 and Dart prove this and the surprising strong sales of existing models proves that Chrysler wasn't too far off, it just needed an infusion of quality and better materials, in the existing offerings.
Chrysler just reported rising sales and market share based upon improvements in the existing models more than any new models from Fiat.
Hopefully this has opened some minds and the huge pushback* will be tempered.

*By pushback, the Plan still shows a boatload (or container ship) full of imported products for 2015 and 2016, stacked up and ready to come.
That likely is more a reflection of problems in Europe than demand in the US.

Reactions: DCXcarbuilder

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jeep:

CY 2013:
  • Cherokee (new)
  • Compass (refresh)
  • Grand Cherokee (refresh)
CY 2014:
  • Fiat-based B-Jeep (new)
CY 2015:
  • Waggy (new) ???
  • Grand Cherokee (new) ???
CY 2016:
  • Wrangler (new) ???
  • ???? (new)
  • Cherokee (refresh) ???

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
The revised Plan hopefully, reflects some flexibility and dawning reality on Marchionne's part
Yes, and that is why I have a lot of respect for him.

Remember when Daimler was running things? If "German engineering" ads caused Chrysler to drop and VW to rise, well, they were happy to ... run another, more expensive German Engineering ad campaign.

If the "chunky look" failed to sell, well, we'll make chunkier looking cars.

If gizmos and gadgets do not sell the cars, we don't have enough gizmos and gadgets.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Kyle said:
Wow the change in FIAT-architecture vehicles in Chrysler is dramatic. They're almost all gone! Weren't some just months from being revealed? That's quite a shift in strategy. You can also see that the dramatic styling/changes to Chrysler have resulted in a much longer outlook for a badly needed expanded line-up. My guess is the CY2014 spot holds a refreshed 300 and all-new 200.

2015 looks like a 2011 moment for Chrysler, with a wave of new vehicles wearing the new design language coming to market at once.

And it looks like we still have a few surprises yet in 2013. Cherokee, Promaster, Durango, & Alfa's hello to the market.
I think the new strategy is to have Fiat handle the B cars. I wonder if we are going to see the SRT4 again.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I agree with Dr. Jeep on his assessment.

As for the platform sharing, please note the change in nomenclature between 2009 and 2013 plans. The 2009 plan indicated Fiat-based vehicles, i.e. on Fiat platforms like CUSW. The 2013 plan indicates Fiat-produced vehicles, i.e., built by Fiat, presumably in Europe, for North America.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
lvelleq (o)llllll(o) said:
I agree with Dr. Jeep on his assessment.

As for the platform sharing, please note the change in nomenclature between 2009 and 2013 plans. The 2009 plan indicated Fiat-based vehicles, i.e. on Fiat platforms like CUSW. The 2013 plan indicates Fiat-produced vehicles, i.e., built by Fiat, presumably in Europe, for North America.
Yes, there are FOUR new Fiats coming in 2015. Maybe that is the result of Italy and Europe collapsing. They need to utilize that capacity. That is a major break from the original plan.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Orbit Orange said:
Somebody decode these hieroglyphics for me. Where would the Barracuda fit in? Thanks.
could be 2016 under SRT

1 - 20 of 63 Posts