Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The number of CRD-equipped Jeep Wranglers spotted on the roads of Michigan seems to be increasing, with Robert Evans catching the latest on I-696 in Southfield, Michigan. The driver took off when he noticed the photography. The Jeep had manufacturer's plates, but no labels listed "diesel only" around the fuel filler; it did have the CRD badging. Jeep currently makes diesel powered Wranglers for export markets, using VM diesels. While domestic buyers have expressed interest in diesel Wranglers, at this time there is more demand for the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited than Jeep’s Toledo plant can satisfy, making the expense of engineering and certifying a US-legal diesel seem questionable. It’s possible the company is testing vehicles for export, or simply wants to make the Wrangler more attractive in case demand wanes in the long period before it’s overhauled again.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
2017 Powertrain Mule?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Isn't that a Euro spec Wrangler? The red reflectors and/or fog lights low on the rear bumper suggest Euro model to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
abgwin said:
Isn't that a Euro spec Wrangler? The red reflectors and/or fog lights low on the rear bumper suggest Euro model to me.
Those are the '13 Sahara wheels and non-US F/R bumpers. My guess is that is a current production model - but not one we can get here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definitely a current Euro spec JK; the bumpers and taillights are a dead giveaway. This is most likely just a Euro spec model that is being used for engineering or quality control. The Wrangler won't get a diesel in the US until it's redesigned in a couple of years. With the JK nearing the end of it's lifecycle, it wouldn't make sense to certify one for US consumption.

·
Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
1,317 Posts
If it was a euro spec, why would the driver freak out like he apparently did? Wouldn't a "euro" Jeep be the perfect cover for a powertrain mule?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
link3721 said:
If it was a euro spec, why would the driver freak out like he apparently did? Wouldn't a "euro" Jeep be the perfect cover for a powertrain mule?
All depends. He might have borrowed it from the pool without permission, it might have the 3.0 and not the 2.8, or it might have a new top, or other item he didn't want to be photographed.
In all probability, he might even be a member of the Maruvoo Tribe who believes the camera captures his soul.... ;)

Reactions: M.O.D.

·
Registered
491 Posts
red_00xj said:
Definitely a current Euro spec JK; the bumpers and taillights are a dead giveaway. This is most likely just a Euro spec model that is being used for engineering or quality control. The Wrangler won't get a diesel in the US until it's redesigned in a couple of years. With the JK nearing the end of it's lifecycle, it wouldn't make sense to certify one for US consumption.
*sigh* I'd really like to get a diesel Wrangler, too bad we have to wait till it is redesigned in a few years, lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
codypet said:
Wouldn't a Euro spec Wrangler have amber turn signals?
I couldn't find a picture online but they're hard to see. In the clear lens portion of the tail light is an amber turn signal with a reverse lamp below it. The clear portion of the lamp is larger than the US model to accomodate this.

link3721 said:
The article said the driver drove off when he noticed pictures were being taken. Maybe he's somewhere he's not supposed to be, during work or he just didn't want to get his picture taken. Employees definitely check blogs and forums, especially if they know the vehicle they've been driving is out there on sites.

guyver[this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool said:
y]*sigh* I'd really like to get a diesel Wrangler, too bad we have to wait till it is redesigned in a few years, lol.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
So the last 15 years they have been telling us it is only 5 years away.
I suppose if people quit buying them, citing mileage as the primary issue, they'd rush a diesel along.

But if they're selling all they can make, why bother?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Haha, nice to read.

I´d be glad to see a gasoline powered Wrangler.
90 % of all Wranglers here in Europe are CRD models.

Also both new showcars on the Vienna Autoshow were equipped with the CRD engine.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I suppose if people quit buying them, citing mileage as the primary issue, they'd rush a diesel along.

But if they're selling all they can make, why bother?
The Wrangler certainly is a victim of its own success.

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
Well, the article made that point too... if gas prices go up, a diesel will probably be fast tracked for US certification, assuming they've packaged a US-legal one already. (I believe they use the 2.8 in Europe which I don't think is US legal as it is now, which is one reason for the 3.0.)

They "might" keep one on tap just in case. However, people bought Wranglers with the 3.8/four speed, and loved them....

·
Registered
491 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
So the last 15 years they have been telling us it is only 5 years away.
Well I hope the 2.8 CRD will be EPA certified when the revised Wrangler rolls around in 2017 (or something like that).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Well, the article made that point too... if gas prices go up, a diesel will probably be fast tracked for US certification, assuming they've packaged a US-legal one already. (I believe they use the 2.8 in Europe which I don't think is US legal as it is now, which is one reason for the 3.0.)

They "might" keep one on tap just in case. However, people bought Wranglers with the 3.8/four speed, and loved them....
They loved the Wrangler, the 3.8 engine, Offroad, not so much. The 3.6 is a huge improvement on the highway, however the gas V6 is still weak on off idle torque.
There is a new generation 2.8, but frankly I'd rather see the 3.0...but packaging for US crash standards appears to be the issue with one additional cylinder in length. (4vs3) if the length of 4, works for crash, then the Hemi should also be an option.
We have weighed a few JKU's and they tip the scales at a hair over 6,000 lbs, with large tires and bumpers and winches.
Mine is easily 6,500lbs and ripe for a Hemi.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts