Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A BMW bid to bring back seat belt interlocks may help Chrysler to cut their own costs and weight. The seat belt interlock was launched in 1974, alongside mandatory modern-style shoulder belts. The interlock prevented drivers from starting their cars until they had put on their shoulder belts — and gotten the front passenger to do the same. The interlock rule was prompted by an all-time peak of 54,589 motor-vehicle deaths in 1972, but it was only effective during model-year 1974. Today, the United States is the only country to require automakers to build in safety mechanisms specifically for unbelted drivers, adding cost as airbags, controls, and various safety mechanisms are specially designed for this group. BMW has proposed using seat belt interlocks, as an alternative to redesigning cars for the unbelted-driver standards; if granted, this rule change would apply to Chrysler and other automakers as well. For more information,..

View the original, full post

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Maybe I'm weird, but how about regulations that state that the seatbelt is the acknowledged primary safety device in a collision, and that those who choose to not follow manufacturers' guidelines for the proper wearing of seatbelts while operating the vehicles have no standing to make claims against automakers if they're injured in collisions while riding in vehicles made by those manufacturers?

Seems to me in what they're proposing, those who don't wear their seatbelts will just wedge something into the buckle to trigger the sensor falsely, and the rest of us who wear our seatbelts will now have to contend with another possible reason why the vehicle won't start on top of everything else that can go wrong with a vehicle and make it not start...

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
TWX - logic does not apply to regulation 98% of the time.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
You think it will be a system that can be defeated by "putting something into the buckle" ?

What if the buckle & belt have chips coded to each other. The belt knows if it is retracted or extended.

Engineers love these challenges.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
You think it will be a system that can be defeated by "putting something into the buckle" ?

What if the buckle & belt have chips coded to each other. The belt knows if it is retracted or extended.

Engineers love these challenges.
Back in 1974, folks would buckle the belts behind their backs to defeat the system.
Wasn't it Ron White who said something about fixing stupid? ;)
It's the regulators mindset that we have to look out for those who refuse to look out for themselves and we all pay for that.
Education would work better than mandates, but you can't force people to learn...

·
Registered
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Back in 1974, folks would buckle the belts behind their backs to defeat the system.
Wasn't it Ron White who said something about fixing stupid? ;)
It's the regulators mindset that we have to look out for those who refuse to look out for themselves and we all pay for that.
Education would work better than mandates, but you can't force people to learn...
+1

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
I'm still trying to figure out what is so hard about using a seat belt? It's not even uncomfortable. I actually feel naked without it.
Completely agree!

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
I'm still trying to figure out what is so hard about using a seat belt? It's not even uncomfortable. I actually feel naked without it.
Same here. I can't stand not wearing the belt. lol

Although that doesn't seem to be an issue for people getting around it:

in my opinion, if they do this, it needs to be a 2-part system where the belt is involved (length the belt is pulled or something), not just the buckle.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
suzq044 said:
Same here. I can't stand not wearing the belt. lol

Although that doesn't seem to be an issue for people getting around it:
Easy fix.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are places where a seatbelt is nothing but a hindrance to the job at hand. Like most field work on a farm. Can't say for other states, but Indiana exempts some delivery vehicles from seatbelt regulations.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
Well yes, I can see that; I would think there would probably be an option on the professional-grade ordering to delete the interlocks for delivery & off-road usage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The seatbelt exemption is only valid while actually on the delivery route. Mail carriers and paper boys and girls use their personal vehicles. Once a farm pickup truck is on the road, seatbelt regulations are in place.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
As a fixed income person I'm for what ever will reduce costs.

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
And when they required automakers to design airbags to protect large, unbelted people they sometimes injured or killed small, belted people. So the airbag systems had to be reworked.

I think it's silly to design a car to protect those who won't take a small step to protect themselves.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Drivers and passengers MUST wear a seat belt - by law.

Automakers MUST design their vehicles protect those that don't wear their seat belts.

Thus rewarding those that break the law.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stratuscaster said:

Automakers MUST design their vehicles protect those that don't wear their seat belts.

In PA:

In accordance with Section 4581 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, it is a law in Pennsylvania that:
• All drivers and front seat passengers in vehicles, light trucks and motor homes must wear seat belts.
• If you are transporting passengers age eight (8) or older but less than age 18, they must wear seat belts,
no matter where they are riding in the vehicle.
• If you are a driver under the age of 18, the number of passengers may not exceed the number of seat belts
in the vehicle.

So a lot do not buckle up in the back as a result.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Stratuscaster said:

When will people wake up and stop catering to the least common denominator among us ---- IT COSTS HONEST PEOPLE MONEY!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I have a compromise then. No seatbelt gives only first and reverse. Lets cars be moved around at low speed, like clearing a garage bay, but doesn't allow for effective on-road usage.

Reactions: 55Plaza

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
trumpet1234 said:
In PA:

In accordance with Section 4581 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, it is a law in Pennsylvania that:
• All drivers and front seat passengers in vehicles, light trucks and motor homes must wear seat belts.
• If you are transporting passengers age eight (8) or older but less than age 18, they must wear seat belts,
no matter where they are riding in the vehicle.
• If you are a driver under the age of 18, the number of passengers may not exceed the number of seat belts
in the vehicle.

So a lot do not buckle up in the back as a result.
Noted - laws do differ from place to place. Illinois had a similar rule on the books - that changed a couple of years ago to "ALL passengers must wear seat belts."

Then there's the exemptions. Like school buses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts