Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First shown in April at the New York Auto Show, the Jeep Cherokee was set to be in dealers at about this time. It was pushed back at least once, and now it appears that, due to at least two heat dispersion issues, the mid-sized SUV will start production around August. This will at least give Chrysler’s transmission plants time to ramp up nine-speed automatic transmission production, though it will most likely mean that Land Rover will get the world’s first nine-speed automatic in a standard production vehicle. Chrysler remains likely to hold the title for first nine-speed in a minivan. Karl wrote that Jeep’s web site seems to confirm the change; clicking on the Cherokee photo now brings the title, “Coming Fall 2013.” In the past, Chrysler has had problems with releasing vehicles that were not quite ready or fully field tested; historians can bring up the disastrous..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Production starting in August? So that's what? Mid-late October before they start showing up at dealers? These delays are getting out of hand, to the point where I think Sergio needs to personally apologize to Chrysler's dealers.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
Production starting in August? So that's what? Mid-late October before they start showing up at dealers? These delays are getting out of hand, to the point where I think Sergio needs to personally apologize to Chrysler's dealers.
What nonsense! These delays are the fault of the internet!!!

It has nothing to do with Fiat's misinterpretation of flex!

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
It has nothing to do with Fiat's misinterpretation of flex!
You lost me there, how is this a flex problem? From what we've heard it has been caused by electronics in the 4x4 system, and now heat dissipation (which may actually be two facets of the same problem, come to think of it).

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
RVC said:
You lost me there, how is this a flex problem? From what we've heard it has been caused by electronics in the 4x4 system, and now heat dissipation (which may actually be two facets of the same problem, come to think of it).
Two separate issues, apparently. One being electrical and one being exhaust related, causing melting exhaust tips and melting rear valance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have been assuming all along that a Cherokee Limited with every option will not be available until January of 2014. Just a gut feeling with all the new technology and the need to get it right.

Ed

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
edvan said:
I have been assuming all along that a Cherokee Limited with every option will not be available until January of 2014. Just a gut feeling with all the new technology and the need to get it right.

Ed
Get it right? Doubtful. That'd require changing that face.. lol

·
Administrator
35,243 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah.

You hate the Cherokee's looks, I get it.

There are a lot of people (not me admittedly) who love its looks.

It's a love/hate. Let's move on from that.

I agree on January 2014. I think that the August date will be pushed back as well.

I also predict that they won't be ready with Neon GT in time for July production either.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You mean Dart GT??

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
So this is my dilemma. The wife and I have been test driving and comparing new cars. We want decent space, better fuel mileage than the current 19 MPG average she is getting from her Highlander, and a smoother ride for vacations (Its a Highlander SPORT - I'm not 21 any more).

It just seems no one really puts it all together in one vehicle. Until I revisited the Cherokee. Now the ride quality is unknown at this point, but mileage and size and content appear to be settled. Price will also be a factor, but I couldn't imagine the Cherokee to be out of the $23000-36000 range. I still have to get over the front end, but the profile and rear end are decent. Interior is amazing.

So now this. I can't drive one. Released pictures, info, potential mileage. I see why some manufacturers threaten GITMO if the press releases info early because at this point, I'm a little tired of waiting. I would rather it be RIGHT before I bought it, but if its not right, don't release the info.

I'm trying to be patient. My track record is horrible though.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Considering Dart & Cherokee are based on the same platform and almost the same project which is the first project since Fiat takeover of Chrysler..
Time i.e. Marketeers, Cost i.e. Finance & Quality i.e. QC & Six Sigma guys all contribute to quality of the project..

It seems as the project focused initially to meeting the requirement of the marketeers and at a later stage the QC guys got involved. I'm sure Fiat/Chrysler are maintaining the cost of the project, but they need to balance the time vs. the quality requirement..

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Two separate issues, apparently. One being electrical and one being exhaust related, causing melting exhaust tips and melting rear valance.
Thanks, great Info! The exhaust thing shouldn't be that hard to fix, it likely just came out during long term testing.
Any word on the 4x4 goblins?

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Yeah yeah yeah.

You hate the Cherokee's looks, I get it.

There are a lot of people (not me admittedly) who love its looks.

It's a love/hate. Let's move on from that.

I agree on January 2014. I think that the August date will be pushed back as well.

I also predict that they won't be ready with Neon GT in time for July production either.
I am keeping the jabs down to brief comments. I have always been quick to lay my jabs on (Most) Hondas, the handful of Toyotas and Nissans. So I am doing my part to be objective enough to admit when my beloved company of choice drops a doosie. I imagine I shall keep jabbing.

But in all seriousness, I suspect you are right. I can imagine another delay after that. I will inject some optimism. By normal timetables, the Dart and even Cherokee were designed rather quickly, and the transmissions and even engines put on a tighter than normal timetable. So my hope is, that once the dust settles, and all of the new engines, transmissions and everything finally get ramped up, and these cars hit the streets, that they'll start having an easier time meeting time tables. First, because product cycles will have a time frame more natural to the industry, and second because components will be there. The one thing this does do is makes me acutely aware of how bad the future could have been. A lot of these programs were started practically from scratch when Sergio came in, because the previous owners were either killing the programs, or hadn't really gotten things moving.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
MoparNorm said:
There are other fitmet issues as well..

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
dodgeatheart said:
So this is my dilemma. The wife and I have been test driving and comparing new cars. We want decent space, better fuel mileage than the current 19 MPG average she is getting from her Highlander, and a smoother ride for vacations (Its a Highlander SPORT - I'm not 21 any more).
It just seems no one really puts it all together in one vehicle. Until I revisited the Cherokee. Now the ride quality is unknown at this point, but mileage and size and content appear to be settled. Price will also be a factor, but I couldn't imagine the Cherokee to be out of the $23000-36000 range. I still have to get over the front end, but the profile and rear end are decent. Interior is amazing.
So now this. I can't drive one. Released pictures, info, potential mileage. I see why some manufacturers threaten GITMO if the press releases info early because at this point, I'm a little tired of waiting. I would rather it be RIGHT before I bought it, but if its not right, don't release the info.
I'm trying to be patient. My track record is horrible though.
In fairness to Chrysler, the leaked pictures were not their doing...however their reaction to the leaks were overblown and gave traction to the angst.
In retrospect, a wall of silence and a patient listening to the complaints might have resulted in a different front end (Jack's rendering made the same sheet metal look pretty good!)
In the final analysis a re skinned front would not have delayed the car any longer than the time it is taking to correct the production woes and get the bugs out.
The big picture problem is losing Liberty sales when KL isn't ready.

·
10,394 Posts
It seems no matter what week I end up on here...Cherokee is still being mocked and nowhere to be seen.

Maybe it is for the best.

·
Administrator
35,243 Posts
Styling is all a matter of opinion. It could be that Jack’s rendering would have made it "not loved" by those who loved it while making it merely "tolerable" to those that hate it.

I wonder whether people would have mocked 1994 Ram before it showed up. I know they mocked 1995 Neon relentlessly for its cuteness... in some cases before being left far behind at the track.

If you want a standard AWD Cherokee and not a Trailhawk, I wouldn't worry much about the quality of the first ones. But I'd counsel waiting regardless... and whatever happens, I think Chrysler will stand behind them.

·
10,394 Posts
Styling is indeed a matter of opinion.

However, very few people want to be seen driving a vehicle labeled "ugly", "girly" or something else meant to be disparaging.

·
10,394 Posts
Ah, the power of denial!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts