Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2014 Jeep Cherokee has not yet entered full scale production, and some sources are now saying it won't happen until September 2013. The company is still working out heat problems, what appears to be a supplier material switch, and some fit issues, and with quality as a top priority “for real,” production is not likely to begin until all known problems are solved.

With that said, it’s hard to see what conclusion to draw from these shots taken recently by Erik Latranyi, which show new and different front fascias.  They might simply be a test of the same basic parts, made with a different material; or a new run of parts to check fit; or part of a test of a new design, though the Cherokee has already been unveiled and shown. Update: Susan Rand wrote, “It's different, but only slightly. Look where the bumper starts and comes..

View the original, full post

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
It's different, but only slightly. Look where the bumper starts & comes down over the headlights. They changed a couple angles on the bumper in relation to the break-over angle (for lack of better term, from the DRL to the headlight). I think they're making it slightly more cohesive. Plus it looks like the headlight housings are different internally. Headlight in the center, signals on the outside instead of how it is on the show cars.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Simply could be move from production tool from the early prototype tooling. Making it easier to mold, flow, and pack out. I have seen some very poor tooling conditions on bumper cores where the designers and engineers didn't think from a tooling perspective.

It does appear much softer from the raised transition to the grill. May have be esthetic but it is for sure easier to inject.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's not too late to give some 6 inch round headlights with some air openings to help cool the engine.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm just tossing this out there:

The way the tape is situated, is there any chance the daytime lights height has been increased to look a little less "squinty"?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
unclejjg said:
I'm just tossing this out there:

The way the tape is situated, is there any chance the daytime lights height has been increased to look a little less "squinty"?
There is no tape.

The back parts are actually "body in white" using industry-speak...even though they are black.

It is a late change. I cannot answer the "why" question.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
There is no tape.

The back parts are actually "body in white" using industry-speak...even though they are black.

Sorry, I'm confused. Not familiar with the term "body in white". I was referring to the front near the daytime running lights, not the back. It looks like part of the black stuff near the light is hanging off the car. What is that stuff?....it looked like a way of covering up/cammoing a possible change to the light.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Purhaps, credit is due them for listening to the flack the design raised.
That is one focus group which failed miserably.
Starting back in Jan/Feb, to September, actually gave them time to make some improvements. Hopefully the 2015 model version is much improved.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
There is no tape.

99.99% of people won't ever be able to answer the "where" question. It looks virtually identical.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I don't know. The differences are too subtle for to me see anything either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Look at the inward crease (the one that's pushed in, not popping out) between the headlight (lower) and DRL (upper). On the picture suzq044 posted, it goes straight across. On the new pictures, it curves upward towards the DRL. But yeah, it's really subtle and I doubt anyone would notice if they weren't looking for it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
RVC said:
99.99% of people won't ever be able to answer the "where" question. It looks virtually identical.
JRS200x said:
Looks indentical to me. I think some may be grasping at straws.
its there......very subtle but deffinately diffrent.

joe_ said:
Look at the inward crease (the one that's pushed in, not popping out) between the headlight (lower) and DRL (upper). On the picture suzq044 posted, it goes straight across. On the new pictures, it curves upward towards the DRL. But yeah, it's really subtle and I doubt anyone would notice if they weren't looking for it.
good eye.....I am sure you were great at finding Waldo... :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
suzq044 said:
It's different, but only slightly. Look where the bumper starts & comes down over the headlights. They changed a couple angles on the bumper in relation to the break-over angle (for lack of better term, from the DRL to the headlight). I think they're making it slightly more cohesive. Plus it looks like the headlight housings are different internally. Headlight in the center, signals on the outside instead of how it is on the show cars.

Now....if I could only figure out which ones are the headlights :):):)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts