Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chrysler told Larry Vellequette of Automotive News that Cherokee repairs will be implemented more quickly than originally thought, and that the second shift will be returning on Monday, though so far no Cherokees have been released to dealers. Mr. Vellequette’s sources said that the issue was related to the way the engine, transmission, and axles work together; Chrysler spokesman Jodi Tinson confirmed this. At least 12,000 Cherokees have been built and are awaiting a “flash” to fix the problem, tying up nearly one third of a billion dollars in inventory (at retail prices). To ensure that the problem is fixed on each vehicle, each and every one will be test driven before it can be released. Production was originally scheduled to begin May 23, but must reach showrooms by September 30 to make the end of the quarter.

View the original, full post

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Great news!

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Great!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Very prudent on Chryslers part. It is good news. Still anxious to test drive both the 4 and the V6 to see if the extra $1500 is worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I could be wrong but wouldn't this be out already had they offered a stick? The problem seems to be with the new transmission. Granted the automatics buyers would have had to wait.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I think that would make Jeep the only player in the market with a manual - a market that's shut out manuals because nobody buys them :)

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Pretty sure that the 4WD systems were all based upon having that 9-speed to work with.

So yes, you might then a manual FWD KL - for the 12 people that would buy them. ;)

Plus that happened with Dart and they took quite a bit of heat for it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There does seem to be more demand for stick shifts on the internet than in the real world.

Maybe when the Comanche KL pickup come out, maybe that will open the door for stick shifts and diesels in Cherokees. :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Well I believe that the Cherokees are "moving" when I see a truck load of them... as of today all of mine are still in storage....

·
Registered
464 Posts
buying the Brooklyn Bridge.... what a load of marketing/PR crap... BUT your right - a third of a billion dollars.... of oops . Claiming the target shipping was May - 6 months ! scratching their lets say head....there is a problem a major problem NOT an issue.

I was so looking foward to owning another Cherokee, that jeep feeling .. mistakes are made fess up tell the whole story...

·
Registered
768 Posts
let's wait and see depending on the IPO and the VEBA crap.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
Well which way would you guys like it?
1) Ship the buggy vehicles and end up with a bungled launch with a new vehicle beset with quality complaints and have it end up with a forever ruined reputation in the public eye (like we need another neon head gasket).
2) Delay the vehicles from getting into customer's hands until they're right.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Driven a manual for 20 years! 6 straight vehicles, including 3 brand new purchases. We still exist!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Get them right BEFORE they are shipped. I can wait. Actually the Cherokee was in second place, I really hoped that the Fiat 500L would be a good replacement for the PT Cruiser. But, after seeing all the problems on one of the Fiat forums, no thanks. The Jeep will cost more and use more fuel but it fit my wants better than anything else Chrysler has.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
"At least 12,000 Cherokees have been built..."

17,000 +

Sport 2,000+
Trailhawk 1,700+
Latitude 8,800 +
Limited 4,200 +

·
Registered
639 Posts
JKU12 said:
Driven a manual for 20 years! 6 straight vehicles, including 3 brand new purchases. We still exist!
Ditto! I would be interested in the Cherokee if it had a manual available in US. Sad they are for export only! We love our manual Dart. Very fun to drive!

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Powerflite said:
Ditto! I would be interested in the Cherokee if it had a manual available in US. Sad they are for export only! We love our manual Dart. Very fun to drive!
I guess there are no small SUV/CUVs in your future then as none of them offer a manual that I know of.

No offense, but I find it funny when someone says they aren't interested in a car because of the lack of manual transmission. I guess you won't be buying a new vehicle or have a large selection anytime soon. Either you are interested in the vehicle or not, the lack of a manual is simply an excuse. I don't think the people who say that are actually interested at all.

Mike

Reactions: Tomguy
1 - 20 of 127 Posts