Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Automated System
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Allpar reader was kind enough to send us some photos of parts from the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, which is now being made. These are closeups of the transmission controller, transmission with power takeoff unit, rack and pinion assembly, and suspension parts. Some identifying characteristics have been removed or masked. Before Daimler sold Chrysler’s electronics facility in Alabama to Siemens, the company made its own powertrain modules in the United States; Siemens almost immediately closed down the American facility and started production in Mexico instead.  Chrysler Electronics had created the telemetry systems for the Moon rockets and M-1 tanks as well as numerous stereo and control modules for cars and trucks, winning a major quality award shortly before being closed. One industry man wrote of the suspension parts: “Good looking small pore castings, like the forged arms.  Looks like good things to come.”






View the original, full post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Sounds like Daimler tried to screw whoever intended to follow them in Chrysler ownership. Now Fiat either has to rebuild the old shop (and re-hire the old crew) or try to make their existing electronics division handle the task.

I vote for re-activating the old plant and shut Siemens out of the deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,747 Posts
So no more crappy stamped steel suspension parts that need to be replaced annually?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
So no more crappy stamped steel suspension parts that need to be replaced annually?
Just because they are stamped steel, doesn't mean they need to be replaced anually. Poor design is the reason for that, and that can happen with any material and any process.
 

·
Not THAT guy again!
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
JoshMHam said:
Just because they are stamped steel, doesn't mean they need to be replaced anually. Poor design is the reason for that, and that can happen with any material and any process.
And uhhh...who designs things poorly? I think I know the answer, but I just want to get this out in the open...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,747 Posts
JoshMHam said:
Just because they are stamped steel, doesn't mean they need to be replaced anually. Poor design is the reason for that, and that can happen with any material and any process.
Yeah it's not so much the material that I was complaining about :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Vulpine said:
Sounds like Daimler tried to screw whoever intended to follow them in Chrysler ownership. Now Fiat either has to rebuild the old shop (and re-hire the old crew) or try to make their existing electronics division handle the task.

I vote for re-activating the old plant and shut Siemens out of the deal.
Not so much that they were intending to screw any potential buyers for Chryslers--more like they were just shaking as much out of Chrysler as they could before dumping the corpse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,042 Posts
freshforged said:
Not so much that they were intending to screw any potential buyers for Chryslers--more like they were just shaking as much out of Chrysler as they could before dumping the corpse.
It was the mantra for the years that Dumbler was involved that outsourcing was the way to go. Look at Deco-Remy, Fisher Body, almost all electronics, Saginaw, axles. All became outside vendors that could sell to all manufacturers. Look at the Toledo Supplier Park. All created to eliminate manufacturer liabiliity and move those deveopment cost out of house. Did not work out well for anyone. Boeing outsourced a lot of the 787 development to outside vendors and what a nightmare. They are now bringing a lot of that back into the house. Just like Chrysler is doing too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,224 Posts
Electronics manufacturing in the US also has some environmental issues with the materials and processes used. This increases costs and makes it more economical to subcontract.

Visteon (Ford) is gone as well.
 

·
Plymouth Makes It
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
From what I remember Chrysler in house parts were mostly high quality and if not the replacements were improved. My Neon exhaust doughnut just out of warranty, the replacement kit was much more beefy, inexpensive and lasted the remaining 6 years that I owned the car. Chrysler has always responded well to my requests. It was different when Daimler ran the show. After I got what I felt was a expensive content deleted Sebring plagued with leaks and very poor climate system and was told this stuff was normal I joined the group that wanted them to go. Some of their legacy still lingers, I find that if you give employees ownership and rewards you get a better product. Its hard to get that from a contractor that gets beat up all the time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,474 Posts
68RT said:
Boeing outsourced a lot of the 787 development to outside vendors and what a nightmare. They are now bringing a lot of that back into the house. Just like Chrysler is doing too.
Yet the reason their planes are catching on fire is 100% engineered in house...and they still refuse to admit their design is fundamentally flawed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,474 Posts
Dave said:
That said, yes, Mercedes then and now has an outsourcing mentality. Fiat has an insourcing mentality.
Not really IMO, the fact is that companies like Magneti Marelli, FPT, ELASIS, and COMAU are all part of the group, but even so you will see that contracts are awarded on a strictly competitive basis (MM just lost a lights contract to Hyunday, for example).
The Multiair component for example isn't manufactured in-house, but outsourced.
IF they can't find a supplier that bids within the budget or spec parameters, then they will go in-house.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
RVC said:
Not really IMO, the fact is that companies like Magneti Marelli, FPT, ELASIS, and COMAU are all part of the group, but even so you will see that contracts are awarded on a strictly competitive basis (MM just lost a lights contract to Hyunday, for example).
The Multiair component for example isn't manufactured in-house, but outsourced.
IF they can't find a supplier that bids within the budget or spec parameters, then they will go in-house.
I can see both sides of the issue, but I lament the passing of the engineering brain trust which was lost at Air Temp, New Process and Detroit Axle. Those were Chrysler stalwarts which led the industry and set the bar for others to follow. GM, Ford Jeep and International all used New Process transfer cases back in the day and up til Daimler spun off New Venture.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,474 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I can see both sides of the issue, but I lament the passing of the engineering brain trust which was lost at Air Temp, New Process and Detroit Axle. Those were Chrysler stalwarts which led the industry and set the bar for others to follow. GM, Ford Jeep and International all used New Process transfer cases back in the day and up til Daimler spun off New Venture.
that my friend, I wholerheartedly agree with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,224 Posts
Actually, the whole insourcing/outsourcing for many industries comes and goes with the economic conditions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RVC
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top