Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Long ago, when Chrysler Corporation was still around, every 4x4 with the Jeep badge had to conquer the Rubicon trail. The requirement assured both customers and the company that their Jeep 4x4s were still serious for off-road duty (the company still sold rear wheel drive versions). That requirement went by the wayside with the launch of the Trail Rated system, but Jeep has still taken new cars on the Rubicon, including the Grand Cherokee and, now, the 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

The Jeep Cherokee has come in for its share of ridicule by Jeep fans and others, given its front wheel drive base configuration, the Fiat origins of its basic dimensions and suspension architecture, and its nontraditional looks. These images of the Cherokee are interesting, since on the one hand serious off-roaders will immediately see and point out the lack of suspension articulation, but on the other, the vehicles..

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Virtually zero jounce and rebound.
In laymen's terms, the front tire in the picture doesn't have enough up-travel to allow the rear tire to remain in contact with the ground.
Traction control keeps the vehicle moving forward, but the lack of suspension travel is making the vehicle very unstable and isn't allowing the cabin to remain level, or on an even keel.
Driver's front wheel should be pushing down to prevent that tilt, passenger's front tire should have up-traveled into the wheel well and passenger's rear should have enough travel to remain in contact with the ground.
What you see here is a total fail of the suspension articulation. Typical of short travel IS.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
68RT said:
And that had to be a very interesting ride. I would not think of that as much fun.
Very tippy.
Who wants to be the first test driver to roll the KL...

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
MoparStu said:
You cant do that in an Escape! or a CR-V or a Tucson.....
Do what? Traverse the Runicon ,or hike a wheel two feet in the air?
As noted above, the traction control makes it all possible, however the suspension is not flattering.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Do what? Traverse the Runicon ,or hike a wheel two feet in the air?
As noted above, the traction control makes it all possible, however the suspension is not flattering.
While you are absolutely right, given the position the vehicle is in on that specific obstacle, it probably still could have three wheeled even if it had more overall suspension travel.

The electronics are very very impressive. While not pretty to the average Jeeper, the pics will impress the average person and give a good impression that the Cherokee is indeed still a "Jeep" and that's not a bad thing.

It's one of those things, it's great news to see it there and getting the job done. PR wise, that's not a bad thing. I understand your position 100% though.

Mike

Reactions: Bill Sample

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Are you saying a CR-V can traverse that same path? Because I rather doubt it would end up in the same condition at the end. Yes, the Cherokee ended up in some odd positions, but it made it to the end, without much visible damage.
And that is huge... Because in the world of social media people are seeing the pics and the impression is all "Jeep".

Mike

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

I wish this was video....... I am willing to bet even the Rubicon behind this Trailhawk would also lift its rear right tire if it takes the exact same path as this Jeep did.

Note the diffrence in lift of the the Trailhawk that went down the the right way.......

·
Administrator
35,230 Posts
Meanwhile comments on the Facebook page are along the lines of "My Impala could do that."

Yeah, it could do some of it, if you didn't mind tearing open your gas tank and leaving your exhaust system on the first rock, and you didn't care if you finished the trail.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Meanwhile comments on the Facebook page are along the lines of "My Impala could do that."

Yeah, it could do some of it, if you didn't mind tearing open your gas tank and leaving your exhaust system on the first rock, and you didn't care if you finished the trail.
Or care about the trail itself! A good Impala, LR, or FJ owner always brings plenty of fluid clean up material for the Rubicon. The odds of them spilling vehicular fluids is much higher :):lol:

Mike

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Registered
531 Posts
The internet has a surprising number of people who have incredible driving abilities or lifted Impalas... ;)

The traction control on this vehicle is phenomenal. Even if you take the bypasses, the Rubicon is still a difficult trail (from everything I have seen/read; I've never driven the Rubicon).

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
" Note the diffrence in lift of the the Trailhawk that went down the the right way......."

They both took the same line, they are in different locations in their respective photos.
And no, the Rubicon did not lift a tire at this location, it has solid axles and sway bar disconnects...for a reason.
;)

·
3,813 Posts
There are some rather out of place looking rock formations in that picture... almost as if aliens had come down and placed them there. It must be a sign.

That or Jeep did it to make it easier :p

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
You have to at least appreciate Jeep finding out what the Cherokee can do. They are doing the best they can with what they had to work with. I wonder if the class leaders (sales wise) could do the same path and finish in similar condition and without much help?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
MoparNorm said:

" Note the diffrence in lift of the the Trailhawk that went down the the right way......."

They both took the same line, they are in different locations in their respective photos.
And no, the Rubicon did not lift a tire at this location, it has solid axles and sway bar disconnects...for a reason.
;)
From what I am looking at the line of the black trailhawk is diffrent as it was inside and avoided rolling over the lager rock......

You know this how? Perhaps you were there?Do you have some video that we havent seen?

Even with solid axles and sway bar dissconect Rubicons also can lift a tire.....

Is the Trailhawk as capable a s Wrangler Rubicon?.....of course not.....and I highly doubt anyone that purchases it expects it to be so.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
CJDsalespro said:
From what I am looking at the line of the black trailhawk is diffrent as it was inside and avoided rolling over the lager rock......

You know this how? Perhaps you were there?Do you have some video that we havent seen?

Even with solid axles and sway bar dissconect Rubicons also can lift a tire.....

Is the Trailhawk as capable a s Wrangler Rubicon?.....of course not.....and I highly doubt anyone that purchases it expects it to be so.
I'm going to defend Norm a bit here... The issue is not that it did three wheel, the issue is the distance of the wheel to the ground while three wheeled.

Because the overall travel of the suspension is limited, the a larger height for the vehicle tripod is much more possible. This height puts the vehicle at a larger angle... Thus putting the vehicle in a possible position to rollover situation.

Norm's point is quite valid but, I think we have made lemonade with his lemons already though. The electronics are fantastic and clearly class leading. The pictures will give lots of credit to the Cherokee for the average buyer.

Mike

1 - 20 of 250 Posts