Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Allpar reader “AutoTechnician” discovered the 2014 owner’s manual for the 2014 Ram 2500/3500 on the Chrysler web site. He wrote that it mentions: A 6.4 liter V8 engine A rear air suspension Factory bed-liners The 6.4 liter engine has, until now, been the exclusive domain of SRT cars, but Allpar sources have predicted its use in trucks for over a year. The engine will not be a 470-horsepower powerhouse like the one used by SRT, but will be tuned for truck use. We believe that the big gasoline engine will be used as an entry level option on Ram 4500, which currently comes with a standard Cummins diesel, adding to its baseline cost. With the 6.4 Hemi in the mix, the base price can be dropped for better comparisons against Ford; but most buyers will still probably opt for the durable diesel. The rear air suspension has also been rumored..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very excited about this news! I just hope that it includes the 2500 level as well. The way this is worded it sounds like it may only be an engine option in the 4500 series which may fall under different CAFE requirements thus allowing the thirstier engine. Ford does this with their medium duty trucks by still offering the 6.8L V10 gas which isn't available in 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. I for one would love to be able to replace my '05 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi with a new 2500 6.4. The 5.7 is great but does run out of steam when I hook my tandem axle equipment trailer with Farmall 400 tractor on top to go to tractor pulls. I want more power but can't spend the extra $8,000 to $9,000 for the diesel option. I also realize that a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck will not get good gas mileage, so I don't worry about that. I just want good pulling power at a reasonable cost.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
awolb69 said:
. I want more power but can't spend the extra $8,000 to $9,000 for the diesel option. I also realize that a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck will not get good gas mileage, so I don't worry about that. I just want good pulling power at a reasonable cost.
Negotiating with a fair dealer, eliminates a lot of that $8,000 premium. An argument can also be made that the improved diesel mpg will pay off the rest in the long term.
The 6.4 will suffice for a lot of towing needs, on the flat and level. Here in the mountain west, the diesel is a wonderful tool.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
They have been on the front of the HD Chassis Cabs with solid axle coil-links, rated at over 23,000 lbs, since the early 2000's*, so it's a no brainer to place them at the rear. Just more inconsistency to tout the Jeep Wrangler suspension as an improvement when used under trucks but as antiquated when used under Jeeps... ;)

*Courtesy of the design of Bob Sheaves and others.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Dave said:
Rear coil springs are NOT coming to the Ram 3500.
I wondered about that information, I've only read about the 1500 (existing) and 2500 (new) although I have no doubt it could also work in the 3500, which is way lighter duty than my Chassis/Cab.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I find it very interesting that 3500 will have a unique rear suspension and frame. It's hard for me to believe they would add the complexity for a one off low volume weight class. Could this possibly mean the 3500's will share architecture with the chassis cabs, specifically the 36" rail spacing? As I sort through my minds clutter of the scope of this project, one thing stands out, besides common frames and axles for 3500 pickups and chassis cabs. If the cargo box is modified to fit 36" rail spacing the possibility of 45, 5500's having the option of a pickup cargo box is exciting to me, and equilibrium will be restored to my world and Ram will amaze.

I trust Mike Cairns.

·
Registered
98 Posts
JTE said:
I find it very interesting that 3500 will have a unique rear suspension and frame. It's hard for me to believe they would add the complexity for a one off low volume weight class. Could this possibly mean the 3500's will share architecture with the chassis cabs, specifically the 36" rail spacing? As I sort through my minds clutter of the scope of this project, one thing stands out, besides common frames and axles for 3500 pickups and chassis cabs. If the cargo box is modified to fit 36" rail spacing the possibility of 45, 5500's having the option of a pickup cargo box is exciting to me, and equilibrium will be restored to my world and Ram will amaze.

I trust Mike Cairns.
wouldn't they also need to address issues with wheel base?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, the wheelbase / frame / suspension complexity explosion is why I wrote my comment. I need to know more details to understand why they added coil link to the 2500 and kept leaf springs on the 3500. Will they use leaf springs on both the SRW & dually 3500's? Or just the dually?

I miss being to be able to walk down the hall and get answers to all my questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts