Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chrysler has quietly changed the oil filters and cap O-rings used on the Pentastar V6 engines from 2011-13’s part number 68109834AA to 68191349AA on 2014 models. The change, which Andy told us affected all Pentastar V6 engines, may have coincided with changes to the oil cooler; however, it might be more likely that it was done to reduce confusion and inventories, since the VM V6 diesel engine used by Chrysler also saw a redesign of the filter and cap O-rings, to the same part number as the gasoline V6. This means that dealers can stock a single filter-and-gasket kit for all Grand Cherokee V6 engines, diesel and gasoline alike — unless, of course, they are from the 2011 to 2013 model years. The Hemi filters are unchanged. Using the wrong part will cause an oil leak.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good to know, but the part itself is unchanged is it not?

·
Registered
424 Posts
oh2o said:
Part is changed, using the new filter on pre-2014 models will cause leakage.
Once I get back to PA; I'll have to make sure I got the right filter. I had a leakage issue that I corrected after installing a new filter. I think it was my mistake by fluke, but I'll have to make sure.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hello, I may be over-reacting, but am worried about obtaining oil filters for my dad's Pentastar V-6 in his 2012 Challenger down the road..... history seems to point that most car manufacturer's make spare parts for 5-10 years and after that you're on your own..... a three-year run isn't very long, but.... hopefully long enough..... any ideas, thoughts, etc. from anyone?? Thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
jam1 said:
Hello, I may be over-reacting, but am worried about obtaining oil filters for my dad's Pentastar V-6 in his 2012 Challenger down the road..... history seems to point that most car manufacturer's make spare parts for 5-10 years and after that you're on your own..... a three-year run isn't very long, but.... hopefully long enough..... any ideas, thoughts, etc. from anyone?? Thanks!
In today's age of the internet, it shouldn't be that hard to find what you need. Also, unlike previous time periods, the pentastar was put into many vehicles. Even though it only had a 3 year run, well over 1 million engines were produced (possibly 2 million).

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If you're really worried about availability, and if the parts are cheap enough, just buy a shelf's worth of filters now. If you change every 3000 miles, and if it's at 15,000 now, and you're going to drive it to 100K, that's roughly 28 oil filters. If you use synthetic and can go 7500 between changes, that 11.

On a more serious note, having inventory at home, when you work on this stuff yourself, is a good incentive to actually doing the maintenance. I dislike having to go shopping for stuff like that on a regular basis. I'll probably end up doing that for my daily driver now and for whatever we end up with when my wife's Integra gets replaced.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
Let's see - there are hundreds (thousands?) of oil filter designs out there some used for many years, some for less. I've never had a bit of trouble finding the proper oil filter for any car. I don't see what the fuss is.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
valiant67 said:
Let's see - there are hundreds (thousands?) of oil filter designs out there some used for many years, some for less. I've never had a bit of trouble finding the proper oil filter for any car. I don't see what the fuss is.
Jam1 seems to be concerned that not all Chrysler dealers will go to the trouble of stocking the original factory filter for the early Pentastars several years down the road.
I know that there are many items that you would think dealers would keep on hand only to find they don't.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
valiant67 said:
Same here. And you'd think I could remember the filter # after all the oil changes I've done on the Ram (she's at 171K now). I always have to look it up. I guess I have been fortunate as the vehicles I've owned had engines used in many models - 2.5L, 3.8L, 3.5L, 5.7L to name a few.

CherokeeVision said:
Jam1 seems to be concerned that not all Chrysler dealers will go to the trouble of stocking the original factory filter for the early Pentastars several years down the road.
I know that there are many items that you would think dealers would keep on hand only to find they don't.
Wouldn't be the first time a dealer has sent for a filter or part from a local auto parts store. I can understand a dealer not stocking low use filters/parts. It's a waste of space and (especially) money.

When I went to replace the battery in my Ram, for some odd reason the dealer didn't have any in stock (didn't receive any in the delivery that week) - odd since they sell and service tons of Rams. He even tried to get a aftermarket battery from a local auto parts store but no one had a battery with a similar warranty in stock. I came back later that week and he had them - I had a coupon to get a MoPar battery for $99.95 which beat every price I had seen. The next best price was $117 from Advance.

·
Registered
667 Posts
HI Everyone, first and foremost, thanks to everyone for the replies. Please allow me to elborate just a tad bit further..... I like using factory parts..... the manner in which I see it, the factory spends a lot of funds on R.D. for each and every part on its vehicles..... sometimes, the owner is forced to use aftermarket parts, but why go with aftermarket as long as the factory parts are available.... you might save a little dough, but you're taking risks in some cases. It would be nice to know what oil filter manf. Dodge/Chrysler is paired with so as to have a back-up option when/if the day comes Dodge/Chrysler decides to no longer support/sell the oil filter for the '11 - '13 Pentastars. Lastly, I don't mean to raise a ruckus at all, just would like to be prepared..... my dad plans to keep the car for a long time and.... maybe.... his son will inherit it ;)
Thanks again everyone!

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
Filters for older vehicles are avilable from Mopar, I don't see why the Pentastar would be any different?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I would imagine it would take quite some time for Chrysler to stop making oil filters for these Pentastar engines. Trust me, in 15 years there will probably be tougher parts to find for your car than an oil filter. And I've never had an issue with an aftermarket oil filter, and it is all I have ever used, so I don't think you need to worry to much about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alot of times the "aftermarket" parts you get are made by the same plants, on the same lines as OEM stuff. I know that the stock clutch for my car can be obtained from places like advanced auto parts under a different name, but the part is still stamped LUK. I've found quite a few instances like this actually. I also found out the hard way that the aftermarket fuel pumps for an 88 Dakota 3.9 is trash and definitely not OEM. If you feel like doing some research, tons of info on who makes what is available on the googles, you can pick a part made by the oem manufacturer off of rockauto.com and save a ton of dough.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Got to See the New Oil Filter on a "New" Model Engine Today.

It Looks About the Same Diameter and About 2-3 Inches Taller.

TMD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts