Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fueled by big jumps in sales of the Civic, CR-V, Pilot and Ridgeline, American Honda outsold Chrysler Group by 1,337 vehicles in July to take the #4 spot for the month. Chrysler fans can take comfort in the fact that Chrysler still has 161,817-unit lead over the #2 Japanese automaker in year-to-date (YTD) sales. At the current difference in monthly sales, it would take Honda more than ten years to catch up.

View the original, full post

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
In Honda's case, that makes for good salesmanship and advertising, Something Chrysler has lacked in many, many years.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Chrysler not only has but still is lacking meaningful advertising/marketing and salesmanship...
They currently have some of the best lineup of cars but either a lot of people aren't aware or the sales person isn't competent enough..

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Well over the past decade, driving in stop and go traffic, wife will notice the rear of a car (she has a thing about tailights and noticing if they make a good face at night), to which almost all two to three year Mopars she sees, she has never seen any ad for them or even knows anything about them. Now, if my wife, who is pretty astute with noticing changes in anything (including new plants under trees in the median for a store she goes to once every couple weeks), and I end up telling her a car she just saw has been on the market for two or three years (Avenger, Nitro, Compass, 200), a truly sad state of advertising, indeed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
dana44 said:
In Honda's case, that makes for good salesmanship and advertising, Something Chrysler has lacked in many, many years.
It has to be that. A lineup as boring and lame as Honda should NEVER outsell Chrysler. It simply makes me sick how many Toyotas and Hondas sell every month.

·
Registered
530 Posts
plymouth1 said:
It has to be that. A lineup as boring and lame as Honda should NEVER outsell Chrysler. It simply makes me sick how many Toyotas and Hondas sell every month.
Its gotta be the vacuum cleaner in the Odyssey! :D

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It's all about advertising and car reviews are a big part of that. How often do you see a Dodge or Chrysler lose a comparison, after being first in several categories, but then the Hontoynis gets picked overall? This has got to stop, but I don't know how. I see four or five Hontoynis commercials to one Dodge commercial, and that, too, has to change.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Looking at the top best selling vehicles for July:
http://wot.motortrend.com/top-10-best-selling-vehicles-in-july-2013-391597.html#axzz2aoDAeDUp

Ram is still the 3rd pickup due to people are more used to Ford and Chevy, I think.

Camry, Accord, Altima and I bet the fourth is Sonata (not in the Top 10 list) for Mid-size. The bad thing, we have to wait next year when Chrysler 200 starts production, to see what it is like and how it will perform.

Now, Compact size. Civic, Corolla and Cruze. What do these cars have and the Dart Don't?

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Mopar392 said:
Now, Compact size. Civic, Corolla and Cruze. What do these cars have and the Dart Don't?
They have been marketed right.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Maybe Chrysler/Dodge need to hire the marketeers from Toyota and Nissan for Compact and Mid-size cars..

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
RVC said:
I hate snorting orange juice out my nose.... ;)
Mopar392 said:
Maybe Chrysler/Dodge need to hire the marketeers from Toyota and Nissan for Compact and Mid-size cars..
They had a good one from there, Debra Myers, she was axed or left as soon as Marchionne arrived.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
plymouth1 said:
That would not have happened if the Cherokee had made it to market anywhere near to scheduled time. It would have sold that many units even if the customer had to hold their nose to buy it (Just a comment for those who think it is ugly). Not available to fill that need in August either!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
68RT said:
That would not have happened if the Cherokee had made it to market anywhere near to scheduled time. It would have sold that many units even if the customer had to hold their nose to buy it (Just a comment for those who think it is ugly). Not available to fill that need in August either!
Nor likely September.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
MoparNorm said:
They had a good one from there, Debra Myers, she was axed or left as soon as Marchionne arrived.
Yep, messed up on that one, was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
RVC said:
As has been discussed before on these forums, what Honda, Toyota and Nissan have that Chrysler lacks is CONSISTENCY; of model, of direction, of growth, and of commitment to a package/platform. When Chrysler shows that it has the long view in mind is when those numbers will start to turn, not before. Who wants a one version car thats never updated or kept current, then is dropped for something else? no resale, no residual, no buyers except subprime.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
jimboy, that's the other side of it. Agree, how many times is a model kept until it is totally dead on one platform or design, then die a slow death until replaced, only to be brought back half a dozen years later as a new car. Quit changing the names and stick with a new generation upgrade, especially when it is a good seller. PT Cruiser and Neon were two biggies, got too long in the tooth and then dropped. Same with Intrepid, and the list goes on. Every time I see a Honda or Toyota commercial, the first thing I seem to hear is "all new". When was the last time you heard anything "new" in a Dodge commercial (when you see one)?

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
What concerns me is that the 300/Charger/Sebring-200 has basically been around since 2007. That is a long run by current standards. The updates gave them a big boost but even that will not keep the sales up forever as I think I am seeing currently. A 40 month run (complete line) has been amazing given the retention of the same bodies. I can't wait for new product for Chrysler to stop the slide.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Agree with the long lines. It wouldn't take much to change a line, put in a marking here or there in the sides, curve to a piece of chrome, different bumper shape. It used to be you could tell a car year to year, from small changes of this or that, marker light, grille, bumper guard, tail lights, something that didn't change the attachment points and the likes, but enough to be able to say, "all new", or redesigned, and heck, you could put a newer model front end on an older car to get the look you liked. It doesn't take much, but anything at all can extend the model with little upgrades. At least they changed the door skins on the charger Sedan so you can tell an update on them (grille too), and it works. Think Dodge Ram truck changes, you can actually see small differences without changing the whole thing, and it works well.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts