Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Chrysler Town & Country won the Polk Automotive Loyalty Award in the “Minivan” category for a record 12th consecutive time. For 2012, 31% of all returning Town & Country minivan owners bought another Town & Country. Owner loyalty is defined by a household that purchases or leases another new vehicle of the same model or make as the one it already owns. The 2012 awards are based on an analysis of more than 5.9 million new vehicle buyers. “This award mirrors the true Town & Country owner experiences ... on testofownership.com,” wrote Saad Chehab, Chrysler brand chief.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Town & Country's are very rare around here. I'll see 1,000 Caravans vs. 10 Town & Country's. And I bought another Caravan, and so do most people I meet.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Ah that makes perfect sense. It becomes ever more clear why killing a minivan and replacing it with a crossover makes sense!!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
bumonbox said:
Ah that makes perfect sense. It becomes ever more clear why killing a minivan and replacing it with a crossover makes sense!!!
Did you check the actual percentage of people who bought another T&C?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
31% of returning T&C customers. Which means 69% of the returning customers bought something else. Might have been a crossover, might have been a competing minivan, might have been a truck, might have been a car.

It also means that there is still a chunk of NON-returning customers going elsewhere, or not replacing their existing vehicle.

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
Right. While they have the best customer retention in the segment, it's still not great customer retention. I would argue that it would be better, if it was a better minivan in 2008-2010; that's gotta hurt them for some years to come. I had a neighbor who would have defected to Honda over bad brakes, but I suggested he contact Chrysler, and they paid for his premature brake job with an apology, and he got a top-end 2012 "WPC Edition" to replace it (all are leased).

·
Registered
113 Posts
bumonbox, I hope that was sarcasm. Crossovers & SUVs in general are mostly about marketing and not nearly as sensibly useful for most consumers. But as a manufacturer you build what sells. With that in mind the Caravan sold 141,000 & the TC 111,000 so it still a popular and profitable vehicle that also has a lot of loyal customers. Whether its trendy & cool or not. With a family of 6 I owned several. My only complaints were that the transmissions did not hold up which sounds like is soon to finally be resolved. Also I don't at all like the new body style compared to the two that preceded it. My kids are grown now and I will next purchase a pick up but as my kids start their familys I suspect they will be owning Chrysler minivans.

I see by your signature that you own one so I presume it was sarcasm.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
I don't know that it's particularly common to replace your vehicle with an identical one, so I'd say 31% is decent retention.

There is also turn over to consider (IE new families getting into Minivans, old ones getting out. What's interesting is this base can be a near undefinable equivalent to customer retention. The grown up kids start a family and buy what mommy and daddy buy, they can only judge retention by the same individual making the repeated purchase). Either way, seeing as it has the highest retention, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 31%.

Ramfan said:
bumonbox, I hope that was sarcasm. Crossovers & SUVs in general are mostly about marketing and not nearly as sensibly useful for most consumers. But as a manufacturer you build what sells. With that in mind the Caravan sold 141,000 & the TC 111,000 so it still a popular and profitable vehicle that also has a lot of loyal customers. Whether its trendy & cool or not. With a family of 6 I owned several. My only complaints were that the transmissions did not hold up which sounds like is soon to finally be resolved. Also I don't at all like the new body style compared to the two that preceded it. My kids are grown now and I will next purchase a pick up but as my kids start their familys I suspect they will be owning Chrysler minivans.

I see by your signature that you own one so I presume it was sarcasm.
LMAO, you may not lurk enough. It's severe sarcasm. I have been an obnoxiously vocal opponent of this 1 minivan garbage. Before we bought the minivan, by wife was sure she wanted a Pacifica, and we both do like the Pacifica. But then, you get a good look, and you realize - more money, for less space and comfort, and no sliding doors (mind you, my absolute affection for sliding doors began after I really starting using them). We weren't even resistant to minivans really, we were simply due with our first baby, and didn't figure we needed a whole minivan yet. But darn, it was the right decision. I will replace it with another T&C probably with in the year.

Edit: Yes, I am going to keep bringing it up. I am going to make the mere mention of Minivan synonymous with how idiotic the 1 minivan mission is.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
You know... That's not a bad idea.

I am wondering if anyone has Serio and Mike Manley's personal email addresses. I figure I will send a transcript of the DOJ thread to both of them, then once the DOM thread is nice and full, I will send sergio a copy of that one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
bumonbox said:
You know... That's not a bad idea.
Sounds like a great idea. That way there's another thread that we can just avoid reading because we're tired of the ranting. Much like rush limbaugh and others who constantly yell the loudest, actually not listening to them IS proportionately related to the loudness of their ranting.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Dan Minick said:
Sounds like a great idea. That way there's another thread that we can just avoid reading because we're tired of the ranting. Much like rush limbaugh and others who constantly yell the loudest, actually not listening to them IS proportionately related to the loudness of their ranting.
Or maybe people are actually invested and interested in the minivans can have a break from those are dismissive and do not care about them. The ranting occurs for a reason, the volume of the ranting is proportionate to the number dismissive arguments brought against the ranting...

But seriously, and respectfully. If you are going to engage in the argument, you can't very well complain that it continues to persist.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I would highly suggest paring down that thread before sending it anywhere. While it's filled with valuable insights and information, it also gets lost in the sea of...other stuff.

None of that is a rip on anyone, by the way. It's just very easy to get lost in the discussion.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm trying to understand the statement "31% of returning customers". Wouldn't a "returning" customer suggest 100%? 31% of all customers are returning - I understand that. I'm not trying to be smart here, I'm just trying to fully understand the statistic being presented....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Getting rid of one minivan makes about as much sense as GM getting rid of either the Silverado or Sierra (I know they have separate dealers, but I still think its a valid comparison).

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
b1c said:
I'm trying to understand the statement "31% of returning customers". Wouldn't a "returning" customer suggest 100%? 31% of all customers are returning - I understand that. I'm not trying to be smart here, I'm just trying to fully understand the statistic being presented....
LMAO!! You are absolutely right, the phrasing is way off. It should read, 31% if Town Country buyers return to buy another one. Or 31% percent of town & Country buyers are repeat buyers.

The phrasing above says 31% OF repeat buyers buy another T&C. lol.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm speculating here but I think some folks' sensitivities (and I'm not referring to any specific folks on this forum) regarding the minivans comes from a perception that the auto industry is being forced into smaller, "greener" vehicles rather than the industry reacting to what customers want.
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle as always.
Chrysler has a lot more data than any of us. I'm hopeful that they make the right decision.

T

·
0 Posts
They only need one. It makes no sense to keep two because you suck up more development money and marketing money with two that are now sold under the same roof. Which one is kept is tough. Do one and do it right. Which one?? Wow a tough one. Caravan makes more sense I guess, but the T&C is nice.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
lol @ a DOM thread. I guess I finally understand the DOJ thread purpose.

Trailduster45 said:
They only need one. It makes no sense to keep two because you suck up more development money and marketing money with two that are now sold under the same roof. Which one is kept is tough. Do one and do it right. Which one?? Wow a tough one. Caravan makes more sense I guess, but the T&C is nice.
Both have their fair share of loyal, repeat buyers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts