Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detroit News today claimed that the current Dodge Avenger, Grand Caravan, and Jeep Wrangler would all live longer than originally planned, possibly to conserve cash or to keep sales going. The newspaper claimed suppliers had told them about the changes.

The reported extension of the Avenger could be an attempt to avoid losing sales if the new Chrysler 200 fails in the market; the 200 is planned on the same basic platform as Dodge Dart, using the same powertrains as the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The car will likely have a higher starting price than the current 200, but will include a nine-speed automatic and more modern design. Extending the Avenger, which would continue to be built at Sterling Heights alongside the new 200, would also keep the name fresh for the day when its replacement arrives. That car is, according to Allpar sources, to be a rear wheel drive..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
...keep sales going?

Do they have so little faith in the new designs that they think sales will decline?

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chrysler isn't hedging it bets, they ended up with a lousy partner that's in worse position than Chrysler ever was. Chrysler's own money and future product is being cut and delayed and instead MOPAR'S MONEY is going to ALFA, MASERATI, AND FIAT. the only focus is JEEP and RAM trucks. its bad enough they don't credit Chrysler for developing maser's and alfa's future in Detroit, but their simply killing off Chrysler and dodge in the process. fiat needs to shut down, reorganize like Chrysler, and drop its assets in the lap of Chrysler. Walter must be spinning in his grave.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
kriezler said:
Chrysler isn't hedging it bets, they ended up with a lousy partner that's in worse position than Chrysler ever was. Chrysler's own money and future product is being cut and delayed and instead MOPAR'S MONEY is going to ALFA, MASERATI, AND FIAT. the only focus is JEEP and RAM trucks. its bad enough they don't credit Chrysler for developing maser's and alfa's future in Detroit, but their simply killing off Chrysler and dodge in the process. fiat needs to shut down, reorganize like Chrysler, and drop its assets in the lap of Chrysler. Walter must be spinning in his grave.
Welcome to Allpar!

First, your information is wrong.

Until Fiat buys out the VEBA, none of Chrysler's cash can go to Fiat.

·
Registered
216 Posts
kriezler said:
I think you misspelled "Daimler"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anybody actually care to comment on the validity of this rumor?

For the Avenger especially, I sort of like it, if true. It allows the company to maintain a solid fleet business on a vehicle who's incremental costs must be pretty low by now. And it gives the company time to bring out the D-RWD program. Finally, it allows for the continuation of the Avenger name. As others have stated, it is useful to maintain a continuous branded presence (Camry is a good example--not the best car, but its 30 years of name recognition help it a lot).

If the Caravan is going away in some fashion, then it is better than nothing to do this.

Finally, I'm completely confused as to why they would do this with a Wrangler...I sincerely hope the rumor is wrong on that one...

·
Registered
3 Posts
the dart is a sign that fiat FWD platforms result in ugly cars no matter what. those ridiculously long overhangs just wont cut it. hopefully they'll delay the new 200 and base it on the RWD cusw platform and introduce with the new avenger FOR 2016.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
eastcoaster said:
Anybody actually care to comment on the validity of this rumor?

For the Avenger especially, I sort of like it, if true. It allows the company to maintain a solid fleet business on a vehicle who's incremental costs must be pretty low by now. And it gives the company time to bring out the D-RWD program. Finally, it allows for the continuation of the Avenger name. As others have stated, it is useful to maintain a continuous branded presence (Camry is a good example--not the best car, but its 30 years of name recognition help it a lot).

If the Caravan is going away in some fashion, then it is better than nothing to do this.

Finally, I'm completely confused as to why they would do this with a Wrangler...I sincerely hope the rumor is wrong on that one...
Im thinking mixed bag. The Avenger extension makes sense to keep it until the replacement arrives. The Caravan im not sure about I thought thw replacement was on track for a debut in the next couple years unless it is the one dying and the crossover replacement isnt ready yet. The Wrangler one makes no sense to me. It would seem they need to get the new one out as soon as possible so they could do the plant mods between generations to boost capacity. They know there are thousands more sales to be gained there and Wrangler is a high profit model.
kriezler said:
the dart is a sign that fiat FWD platforms result in ugly cars no matter what. those ridiculously long overhangs just wont cut it. hopefully they'll delay the new 200 and base it on the RWD cusw platform and introduce with the new avenger FOR 2016.
Since when is Dart ugly??

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't feel bad about the Avenger being extended. I just hope that they overhaul the powertrain. Install the same engines and transmissions as the NEW 200 and I'll be fine with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roy Thigpen said:
I think you misspelled "Daimler"

Yeah - those darn front overhangs. You know, the ones that seem to exist on almost every FWD vehicle...
its longer on fiat platforms.
hopefully they'll change the avenger's trunk with the new tail lights on other dodge products.

·
Super Moderator
13,924 Posts
Keeping the Avenger, Caravan and Wrangler a bit longer works for me since they're pretty much 'debugged' designs and sell reasonably well. :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
kriezler said:
Your not even in the ballpark, should do a little reading before posting.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think this is good news! Many were worried that Dodge will be dropped, I guess there is plans for both Dodge and the Avenger.

If this info from the famous anonomous source is correct, this will be positive for Chrysler in several senses. First, this will allow the new 200 to be focused to retail customers keeping the transaction and residual values high. Second, this will allow Dodge to have a midsize entry or fleet offering. Finally, it will keep everyone at SHAP employed as new models are being loaded into the new paint shop and body shop over the next several years.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Why is the new model better? What's wrong with making this one better? 2.4L & 3.6L + 9sp. Maybe even offer the 3.6L & 2.4L turbo with AWD as a sports model.
How about extending it 6-8 more years by adding a 2.0L multijet II diesel. (Ya, I know, that will never happen) Make it competitive to the Jetta.
They can still bring out the RWD unit but that would bring a different buyer.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
My two cents.

This is a smart move on Chrysler's part, on many levels. 1) It continues name recognition. This is very important these days. Name recognition is free advertising. 2) My company's biggest recent mistake was dismantling the production line of its bread and butter model, too soon after its replacement was intro'd. Granted my industry is different, as our models retail for millions of dollars, but still, there is a lot to be said for continuity. 3) Not having product to sell, for months possibly, not having employees busy, not having parts ready, not having assemblies ready... lots of downs there, that are easily corrected by extending production. 4) I really don't see a downside. To me, prematurely ending production of a successful product is no better than shooting one's toes off.

Ask Microsoft how much they lost by dismantling their Xbox production lines when the Xbox360 was debuted. That number likely goes into the billions, or billions and billions, probably more than F-C would stand to lose on this. It is not about having a lack of faith in the new product, it is about profits, and money. Its about supporting the current user base. Its about continuity, and caring for your customer. Its about having faith in your current product, in spite of a newer, better, more reliable product being available.

This is a sign that things HAVE turned around. I like it.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Delaying the introduction of a new and/or replacement model has yet another benefit. The cost of introducing new models is at a premium; continuing the previous allows for slightly greater profit per unit ( depending on how they amortize their production costs ). In other words, they should see a few dollars more per model and trim level. Side benefit ; if they're still debugging the Avenger, for instance, it could result in fewer flaws per 100 vehicles which could translate to a higher reliability rating. That adds a bit more of a thumbs-up to the overall Marque in that now publicized measurement. Those aspects can't be a negative in my view.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Since there seems to be a big lag between the time a new model is expected and when the versions people want are available (think Cherokee for total delay, Dart for not matching what people wanted) having the old model around means there will be something to sell. We're not that far from when the new 200 is supposed to launch. Anyone think it will be on time? We're still waiting for Hemi 8 speed cars and trucks, diesel pickups and Grand Cherokees, the 2.4 Dart. etc.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
The Dart is a great looking car.

Any way I know this was ages ago but how did keeping the A-bodies while launching the F-Bodies work out?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts