Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chrysler Group  is recalling 361,819 vehicles over concerns that a rear axle fastener could fail. This is a supplementmental recall linked to an earlier campaign conducted to upgrade light-truck axles. The affected models are 2009 Dodge Durangos and Chrysler Aspens, 2009-2011 Dodge Dakotas and 2009-2012 Ram 1500 pickups. Chrysler has determined that some rear axles were assembled with a fastener that can loosen over time and ultimately fail. Chrysler Group dealers will install a retainer to secure the fastener at no cost to the customer. Owners of the affected models will be notified if their vehicle is included in the campaign. The company says it is unaware of any injuries associated with failure of the fastener.

View the original, full post

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Chrysler Group  is recalling 361,819 vehicles over concerns that a rear axle fastener could fail. This is a supplementmental recall linked to an earlier campaign conducted to upgrade light-truck axles. The affected models are 2009 Dodge Durangos and Chrysler Aspens, 2009-2011 Dodge Dakotas and 2009-2012 Ram 1500 pickups. Chrysler has determined that some rear axles were assembled with a fastener that can loosen over time and ultimately fail. Chrysler Group dealers will install a retainer to secure the fastener at no cost to the customer. Owners of the affected models will be notified if their vehicle is included in the campaign. The company says it is unaware of any injuries associated with failure of the fastener.

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Is this specifically for vehicles equipped with Dana axles?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
stroudtom said:
I've got a 2011 1500 ST, wonder if I get the recall?

Don't know if I got a Dana.
Look underneath, it will be either a Dana or American Axle, each has a distinctive shape and likely a stamp and/or tag.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Look underneath, it will be either a Dana or American Axle, each has a distinctive shape and likely a stamp and/or tag.
I dont believe that the Durangos/Aspens were ever built with a Dana rear, so I would have to say its the American Axle that is the issue at hand.

Danno

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Danno said:
I dont believe that the Durangos/Aspens were ever built with a Dana rear, so I would have to say its the American Axle that is the issue at hand.

Danno
If so, it's ironic. Dana was dropped because of chronic quality control issues, problems that seem to have been solved.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
MoparNorm said:
If so, it's ironic. Dana was dropped because of chronic quality control issues, problems that seem to have been solved.
Getting dropped by a major customer has a tendency to wake a manufacturer up...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Interesting. The Ram and/or Mopar owner website doesn't say that there's a recall in effect for my 2010 Ram 1500...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
It takes a bit of time for the recalls to get rolled out and for owners to be notified.
Oops. Should have kept reading: "the recall will begin in March".

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
It looks like the Chrysler-built 9.25" Corporate rear axle is the one involved, not Dana or AA.
Hmmm... I've been in to the older 9.25" axles a few times, I wonder what could be fixed by whatever part addition they're talking about...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
Pinion nut, most likely.
Good point... Only other fastener that I could think of was the screw that retains the pin that keeps the axles pushed apart to keep the C-clips in place...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
It looks like the Chrysler-built 9.25" Corporate rear axle is the one involved, not Dana or AA.
Are those with crush sleeves?
Is that the issue?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
its on the 9.25" corporate axle. we've had a running fix for it for a time being while chrysler comes up with their final repair as mentioned here. the recall notice came up in december but without a repair. "by the book" it would require replacing the ring and pinion on each vehicle. i'll be interested in seeing their actual repair procedure now. i'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Are those with crush sleeves?
Is that the issue?
The issue is the pinion nut backing off. Destroys the pinion bearings, pinion, and ring gear. The problem seems to have been from an incorrect thread locking technique being used.

If the nut is still tight, you should not have to replace the R&P.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
The issue is the pinion nut backing off. Destroys the pinion bearings, pinion, and ring gear. The problem seems to have been from an incorrect thread locking technique being used.

If the nut is still tight, you should not have to replace the R&P.
Do you know for sure that the issue is the pinion nut?
Therefore my still unanswered question, does that pinion gear shaft use a crush sleeve?
If the crush sleeve is improperly pre-loaded, it will cause the nut to back off, regardless of proper installation torque on that pinion nut.
If a crush sleeve is not used then your theory may be correct, hence my question, does the current corporate axle use a crush sleeve?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Do you know for sure that the issue is the pinion nut?
Therefore my still unanswered question, does that pinion gear shaft use a crush sleeve?
If the crush sleeve is improperly pre-loaded, it will cause the nut to back off, regardless of proper installation torque on that pinion nut.
If a crush sleeve is not used then your theory may be correct, hence my question, does the current corporate axle use a crush sleeve?
Yes - http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/chrysler-recalls-278222-vehicles-including-2009-12-ram-1500.html - It is the pinion nut.

Yes, they still use crush sleeves. The issue seems to be that no loctite was used, or the nut wasn't peened - if the 9.25" pinion nut can be peened over, I'm not sure if it can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts