Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chrysler Group  is recalling 361,819 vehicles over concerns that a rear axle fastener could fail. This is a supplementmental recall linked to an earlier campaign conducted to upgrade light-truck axles. The affected models are 2009 Dodge Durangos and Chrysler Aspens, 2009-2011 Dodge Dakotas and 2009-2012 Ram 1500 pickups. Chrysler has determined that some rear axles were assembled with a fastener that can loosen over time and ultimately fail. Chrysler Group dealers will install a retainer to secure the fastener at no cost to the customer. Owners of the affected models will be notified if their vehicle is included in the campaign. The company says it is unaware of any injuries associated with failure of the fastener.

View the original, full post

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Chrysler Group  is recalling 361,819 vehicles over concerns that a rear axle fastener could fail. This is a supplementmental recall linked to an earlier campaign conducted to upgrade light-truck axles. The affected models are 2009 Dodge Durangos and Chrysler Aspens, 2009-2011 Dodge Dakotas and 2009-2012 Ram 1500 pickups. Chrysler has determined that some rear axles were assembled with a fastener that can loosen over time and ultimately fail. Chrysler Group dealers will install a retainer to secure the fastener at no cost to the customer. Owners of the affected models will be notified if their vehicle is included in the campaign. The company says it is unaware of any injuries associated with failure of the fastener.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I just purchased a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT, and found out I am due this recall when I entered the VIN on the Ram website. I contacted the dealer and was told the parts are still not in yet, and they made sure I was properly registered to receive the mailing when the parts are in.

Is there more to this issue than simply not having the parts? The recall was announced 6 months ago, and based on what I've been able to find out, the parts have never been available. Also, is this a big problem (as in widespread)?

Thanks.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
The announcement came long before Chrysler was able to get the recall underway. I think that the premature announcement was more of a 'heads up' that this was going to be taken care of.
If any owners have a concern that the axle pinion nut may have loosened, the dealer would check the nut torque easily enough for peace of mind.
I have seen the nut loosen. I would not say that it is a widespread issue. The threadlock and staking just wasn't enough anchorage for some of them.
The first sign may be rear axle noise, but if left too long it could get very expensive and possibly dangerous if differential components seize or break.
This only affects the corporate 9.25" rear axle.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
The announcement came long before Chrysler was able to get the recall underway. I think that the premature announcement was more of a 'heads up' that this was going to be taken care of.
If any owners have a concern that the axle pinion nut may have loosened, the dealer would check the nut torque easily enough for peace of mind.
I have seen the nut loosen. I would not say that it is a widespread issue. The threadlock just wasn't enough anchorage.
The first sign may be rear axle noise, but if left too long it could get very expensive and possibly dangerous if differential components seize or break.
This only affects the corporate 9.25" rear axle.
Thanks ImperialCrown. Sounds good.

Doug

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Has anybody had the recall performed on their truck yet? I was told by the dealer they thought it wouldn't be long, but still waiting.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Recall M34 has been released for the 2009-2010 RAM (DS) trucks.
Contact your dealer for more information about your VIN and parts availability.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm still amazed that it took EIGHT months for Chrysler to get these parts in. And the response from the dealer was hilarious: "well, we're just learning how to do these, so I can't tell you how long the repair will take. Maybe two hours, now that we're getting the hang of it, but maybe more."

Oh, and the kicker: "if you make an appointment for these more than a day in advance, and someone else comes in before you, we may use your parts on their car, so call in first to be sure we have the parts to do your repair".

I am really disappointed at how this recall has been handled.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I would have told them, "...no. if you order parts for my vehicle, you're using those parts on my vehicle, the person who comes in later, can wait."
That's why it's called an appointment...

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I would have told them, "...no. if you order parts for my vehicle, you're using those parts on my vehicle, the person who comes in later, can wait."
That's why it's called an appointment...
I'm supposed to receive a card in the mail when they're ready. Still waiting.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I would have told them, "...no. if you order parts for my vehicle, you're using those parts on my vehicle, the person who comes in later, can wait."That's why it's called an appointment...
Believe me, I did. I'm still in the early days of working with this dealer, having recently moved.

He told me that because its a safety recall, they had no choice but to use what they had if someone dropped in.

I have no idea if this is true at all, but they have been otherwise eager to keep my business, and much better than other Chrysler dealers nearer to me.
Doug in Florida said:
I'm supposed to receive a card in the mail when they're ready. Still waiting.
The rep at Chrysler (I called the owner support number) told me that letters are going out within a few days.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
abgwin said:
The rep at Chrysler (I called the owner support number) told me that letters are going out within a few days.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
abgwin said:
Believe me, I did. I'm still in the early days of working with this dealer, having recently moved.
He told me that because its a safety recall, they had no choice but to use what they had if someone dropped in.
Yes, but YOU dropped in first, does that make you more safe, when the part ordered for YOU, is given to a late show-up? ;)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Yes, but YOU dropped in first, does that make you more safe, when the part ordered for YOU, is given to a late show-up? ;)
With so many vehicles affected, you'd think there would be parts being stocked to anticipate the need. I still have not heard anything.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this, but has anybody received notification to bring their Ram in for the recall? I'm still waiting and have been assured my name is on file and I will be notified.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Wow! Still not reply?
Sounds like a few recalls on my 2007 Wrangler.
By the time they finally received the parts, I no longer owned it.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
MoparNorm said:
By the time they finally received the parts, I no longer owned it.
Hah! At the rate this is going, it may be the same thing here. :excited: But, I really like the truck and I'm glad I have it now that my PT is sitting in my garage minus a working transmission (after 292,000 miles).

·
Registered
681 Posts
I took my Wrangler back on Tuesday for the trans oil cooler line inspection and was talking to a guy whose Ram was having the axle recall done. So the recall work must have started.
The service writer told me his axle nut was loose and the pinion was walking back and forth during accel / decel. If you detect any new driveline noises or vibrations, take it in soone rather than later.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Mine's done. Bought used in 2012.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I called today and FINALLY, I'll be taking it in tomorrow morning. Thanks for the input.

Doug

1 - 20 of 22 Posts