Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Since 1924, when Marshall Fields introduced the concept, brides- and grooms-to-be have been registering china, silverware patterns and linens so family and friends could assist the new couple in setting up housekeeping. Now Dodge is taking the idea a step farther with the introduction of the "Dodge Dart Registry," an online program that provides a creative way for carbuyers to raise money for a new Dodge Dart by enlisting the help of friends and family. “Establishing an online registry is another example of how Dodge continues to create ‘New Rules’ with the Dodge Dart,” said Oliver Francois, Chief Marketing Officer, Chrysler Group LLC. “The registry is designed to make the process of configuring and buying a new Dart more social than ever, in a way that has never been done before. Now, ‘New Rules’ transcends not only how we design, build and market a car, but redefines how consumers..

View the original, full post

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Since 1924, when Marshall Fields introduced the concept, brides- and grooms-to-be have been registering china, silverware patterns and linens so family and friends could assist the new couple in setting up housekeeping. Now Dodge is taking the idea a step farther with the introduction of the "Dodge Dart Registry," an online program that provides a creative way for carbuyers to raise money for a new Dodge Dart by enlisting the help of friends and family. “Establishing an online registry is another example of how Dodge continues to create ‘New Rules’ with the Dodge Dart,” said Oliver Francois, Chief Marketing Officer, Chrysler Group LLC. “The registry is designed to make the process of configuring and buying a new Dart more social than ever, in a way that has never been done before. Now, ‘New Rules’ transcends not only how we design, build and market a car, but redefines how consumers..

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
"a creative way for carbuyers to raise money for a new Dodge Dart by enlisting the help of friends and family"

Doesn't that seem a bit desperate?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Allpar News System said:

Ok, somewhat faddish and gimmicky, but it's totally out of the box thinking. Actually will probably create some buzz.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
.. I actually like the idea. Alot; although it might take a while to build-up a car. :\

playing with the customize-your-dart piece; the blue colors are still WAY off, but otherwise, it looks way better than the build your-own. I also noticed you can build whatever the hell you want. Every option, no trim levels and option grouping..

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
I want those family and friends that will help me $$$$$$ get into a new vehicle. It seems like my family is too poor and friends even poorer. They too want someone with $$$$$ to assist them into getting a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I can't say I care much for the idea, but, if it creates a buzz for the Dart, and this translates into more sales, why not?

Also, you have a maximum of 90 days to get funding...need a lot of friends to get a Dart for free!

·
3,813 Posts
Why not? Its a great idea. Its basically like using kickstarter to fund a project you like, but instead it allows family to help someone out. I see no issue with it, I don't think it will all of the sudden send Dart sales through the roof but it is an interesting idea none the less.

Also, its not about getting it for free, its about getting HELP to buy one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like it. Though like others I doubt it'll get a lot of traction I think it's a cool idea. Out of the box thinking indeed!
Where would this come in handy? Think about it for a second
Graduation
Christmas ?
I think this idea could definitely work.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
For event based purchasing this may work. I am not sure it works in any other setting.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My first thoughts went to the way suzq044 won the Dart. That was amazing! We didn't contribute any money, but the effort put forth through friends and such over the internet..

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't think little Johnny is actually going to get a car thanks to his friend's and family's generosity but I think a ton of Johnny's friends and family are going to get emails telling them about all of the cool features and gadgets on Johnny's Dart.
It's pretty clever marketing that gets people involved on a personal level.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
CarsandGuitars said:
I don't think little Johnny is actually going to get a car thanks to his friend's and family's generosity but I think a ton of Johnny's friends and family are going to get emails telling them about all of the cool features and gadgets on Johnny's Dart.
It's pretty clever marketing that gets people involved on a personal level.
That's an interesting thought...

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
duster92 said:
For event based purchasing this may work. I am not sure it works in any other setting.
In today's world of crowdsourcing and Kickstarter projects (of which I've participated in), as well as in fundraising in general - it works.

It's all in the presentation and getting folks to support whatever you're selling - or what your cause is.

Consider Allpar's "Dart MPG" contest last year, where we had great support for the contest not just because we all wanted the Dart to succeed, but because the payoff helped a fellow Allparian. Granted, it wasn't $24000 for a car - but still.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Now Dodge is taking the idea a step farther with the introduction of the "Dodge Dart Registry," an online program that provides a creative way for carbuyers to raise money for a new Dodge Dart by enlisting the help of friends and family.
Sergio Marchionne has been accused of making others pay for his company's investments - and now his company's Dodge brand wants to help its buyers make others pay for their car purchases? :p

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Sounds like there's an added benefit of data mining the sponsors and marketing to them.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
This is fascinating marketing.

Mike

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
It's also a good way for them to see what parts people are putting together on their cars. At least on the exterior. Whether the 'chrome' headlights can be packaged with the black bumper. Whether people like the 'bright' handles; crosshair and wheels, for example, or whether it's a waste of money; etc.

It's almost like a Poll, really. lol

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
suzq044 said:
It's also a good way for them to see what parts people are putting together on their cars. At least on the exterior. Whether the 'chrome' headlights can be packaged with the black bumper. Whether people like the 'bright' handles; crosshair and wheels, for example, or whether it's a waste of money; etc.

It's almost like a Poll, really. lol
This actually sounds like the best "reason" for this marketing strategy.

It'll get the Dart talked about yes, but Chrysler will also be able to see what people want on the Dart, and adjust packaging appropriately.

It's actually rather brilliant :)

Good call Suz!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts