Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler today reported U.S. sales of 165,552 units, a 11.5% increase compared with sales in August 2012 (148,472 units), and the group’s best August sales since 2007. This makes 41 consecutive months of year-over-year sales gains by Chrysler Group, and an 18.2% rebound from July 2013. All brands reported year-over-year sales gains in August, led by Ram's 28.9% jump. “Last month we achieved our strongest retail sales in the past 60 months,” said Reid Bigland, Head of U.S. Sales.

Six models set new records: the Dodge Journey had its best sales month ever; the Dodge Challenger, Dodge Dart, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Compass, and Jeep Patriot each posted their best August sales. Dart sales more than doubled in August, hitting their best level since May of this year. A decline in sales of the Fiat 500 was more than balanced by solid sales of the new 500L. Chrysler Group finished the..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Dart posted its best August sales............that is marketing pablum. Production was still ramping up last August.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Dart posted its best August sales............that is marketing pablum. Production was still ramping up last August.
Dart is doing better, but still lags Patriot sales, in fact it might be a warning sign that the strong sellers are all scheduled to be discontinued and Fiatized.
The 500L, for the second month in a row, continues to canibalize 500 sales, at a nearly one for one rate.
Dodge Pickups (don't ram that name down my throat Sergio) continues to rebound. It's the greatest truck ever built, a testament to leadership under Diaz.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
The car launched in May. The only thing that started production in August was the 1.4/DDCT combo and I dont think that really hindered sales all that much.
MoparNorm said:
Dart is doing better, but still lags Patriot sales, in fact it might be a warning sign that the strong sellers are all scheduled to be discontinued and Fiatized.
The 500L, for the second month in a row, continues to canibalize 500 sales, at a nearly one for one rate.
I saw one on the road for the first time over the weekend and a few out front of the local Fiat Studio....... I am not sure that I like it.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Moparian said:
I saw one on the road for the first time over the weekend and a few out front of the local Fiat Studio....... I am not sure that I like it.
It's not bad, the looks are simply caused by the Fiat obsession with misaligned windows.

·
Registered
530 Posts
MoparNorm said:
The Dart (57,914) has outsold the Patriot (52,857), Compass (37,249), and Journey (57,834) YTD. Of course, the Dart is in a different market, and needs to sell more. I just don't think its in that awful of a position. Platform sharing with another vehicle will help some.

MoparNorm said:
That's an interesting thought. Fiat really needs to get a more normal vehicle to sell at their studios IMO. While the 500s are "cool", something more normal looking and more aligned with family life (like a Bravo or even a Panda) would help their sales.

MoparNorm said:
Dodge Pickups (don't ram that name down my throat Sergio) continues to rebound. It's the greatest truck ever built, a testament to leadership under Diaz.
Those RAM pickups sure are amazing. :p It is making it very hard to decide which direction I am going to take with my next vehicle purchase... A full-size truck would be very useful for me soon. I would really consider a Power Wagon if they weren't so darned gas thirsty (says a guy who drives an 01 Cherokee).

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Note that for the 8-month period from October 2012 through May 2013, Dart outsold Patriot on a monthly basis.

MoparNorm said:
Interesting. "Cannibalizing sales" versus "finding an audience." Like how Commander cannibalized sales from Grand Cherokee, and like how Charger cannibalized sales from Magnum.

SouthPawXJ said:
That's an interesting thought. Fiat really needs to get a more normal vehicle to sell at their studios IMO. While the 500s are "cool", something more normal looking and more aligned with family life (like a Bravo or even a Panda) would help their sales.
Or, how about a 500L? ;)

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Interesting. "Cannibalizing sales" versus "finding an audience." Like how Commander cannibalized sales from Grand Cherokee, and like how Charger cannibalized sales from Magnum.
I hope those that keep telling us to "trust" corporate decisions because they have all this marketing data that tells them what to do learn from the above.

Marketing data is, many times, worthless. Many times, marketing data tells you that a new vehicle, like the 500L or Magnum will expand your sales reach to customers that want something different. Then, those customers act differently with their pocketbooks.

I forgive the Commander scenario as it was also an exercise in flex manufacturing......but the lesson about customer behavior is still there!

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
530 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Or, how about a 500L? ;)
That would meet the "family-friendly" criteria. It is certainly not "normal looking" though. I still don't know how I feel about the looks of it.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Darn, We Need the Cherokee at the Dealers.

TMD

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
Liberty buyers seem to be buying Patriots, Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers. Cherokee will only be "extra" volume. Even if Cherokee is a relative flop (and I am not predicting this despite my lack of enthusiasm for it), the Jeep brand is going to be showing some huge gains throughout next year.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Note that for the 8-month period from October 2012 through May 2013, Dart outsold Patriot on a monthly basis.
No argument, "note" the subject in the topic was August sales. ;)
The Mad Duck said:
Darn, We Need the Cherokee at the Dealers.

TMD
We may not, at least not the AWD versions, until they solve the issues which, my gut tells me, are more severe than a simple re-flash.

·
3,813 Posts
Almost 18k Grand Cherokee sales and that with no rebates in sight. They just can't build enough. It has to be Chrysler's profit center right now, that and Ram.

We mostly sold 4x2 Liberties which I'm sure is a regional thing but still...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Dave said:
Well, the FWD Cherokees will probably sell quite well for a while. A lot of the Compass and Liberty sales have been 2WD.
If they are smart (and I sure hope they are) FWD KL's will be all we see for awhile.
Ram, Grand Cherokee AND Wrangler, all holdovers and all doing great.
Wrangler is at max capacity, wonder what is delaying the remodel of the plant there? The announcement and ground breaking was many, many months ago. Are they building a new Toledo plant or will there be an extended shut down of Wrangler as we saw with Toledo North???

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I was all afternoon at the Baltimore holding yards.

Lots of Grand Cherokees, Wranglers, Patriots and Compasses.

Not one Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I was all afternoon at the Baltimore holding yards.

Lots of Grand Cherokees, Wranglers, Patriots and Compasses.

Not one Cherokee.
Are Cherokees even hitting dealers yet?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Very interesting to see the 200 still posting great results, even though its on its last cycle. I realy hope hte New 200 will do as good or better. As Norm as pointed out, so far the Fiat based cars are not doing so hot.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts