Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

According to reliable source oh2o, large cars with Hemi engines and eight-speed automatics won't been seen until summer at the earliest. This does not necessarily mean they will not be open for ordering before then, but actual manufacturing will not start for months after February. The Charger and 300C would likely get the combination, while Challenger would wait until its impending redesign. All would be sold as 2014 models (technically, a car made today could be labelled as a 2014). The eight-speed automatic is expected to increase acceleration (though not as dramatically as with the V6 cars) and to substantially boost highway gas mileage; city mileage might or might not rise as well. The eight-speed has a much higher range (gap between lowest and highest gears), allowing it to provide a lower first gear while also running the engine at slower speeds on the highway, lower frictional losses, and..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am confused right now with all the info I haven read. I understand the situation for large cars, I know Pentastar powered cars already have the ZF8speed, and apparently for Hemi Grand Cherokees and Durangos summer is due date too. But what about the Pentastar Grand Cherokee and Durango? When are those V6 powered SUVs getting the Pentastar-8speed combo?
Thanks!

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Hi, I am confused right now with all the info I haven read. I understand the situation for large cars, I know Pentastar powered cars already have the ZF8speed, and apparently for Hemi Grand Cherokees and Durangos summer is due date too. But what about the Pentastar Grand Cherokee and Durango? When are those V6 powered SUVs getting the Pentastar-8speed combo?
Thanks!
All Grand Cherokees and Durango's, Pentastar V6 and Hemi, will go to 8 speed for the 2014 MY.

Mike

Damn, too we have to wait for the redesigned Challenger to get the 8-speed. Will that be in 2015?
They can't build em if they don't have transmissions for them. It takes time to ramp up production for all lines.

Mike

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Mike V. said:
All Grand Cherokees and Durango's, Pentastar V6 and Hemi, will go to 8 speed for the 2014 MY.
and jgc/durango MY 2014 production begins soon! :)

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Yes redhed, very soon!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mike V. said:

Mike

They can't build em if they don't have transmissions for them. It takes time to ramp up production for all lines.

Mike
Hmmm, I figured as much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
News Feed said:

According to reliable source oh2o, large cars with Hemi engines and eight-speed automatics won't been seen until summer at the earliest. This does not necessarily mean they will not be open for ordering before then, but actual manufacturing will not start for months after February. The Charger and 300C would likely get the combination, while Challenger would wait until its impending redesign. All would be sold as 2014 models (technically, a car made today could be labelled as a 2014). The eight-speed automatic is expected to increase acceleration (though not as dramatically as with the V6 cars) and to substantially boost highway gas mileage; city mileage might or might not rise as well. The eight-speed has a much higher range (gap between lowest and highest gears), allowing it to provide a lower first gear while also running the engine at slower speeds on the highway, lower frictional losses, and..

View the original, full post
Does this mean the current v6 + 8 speed is ZF full design vs. when chrysler starts building and will modify the design???

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
hawk25 said:
Does this mean the current v6 + 8 speed is ZF full design vs. when chrysler starts building and will modify the design???
Chrysler will be switching over from the ZF 8HP45 to the new 845RE on the V6 Charger and V6 300 early next month. This is what caused the recent "Hemi to get 8-speed in February" reports/rumors - several online sources incorrectly assumed that the "new" transmission was for the Charger/300 V8 Hemi models.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So question Oh2o, will the new transmission have any significant effect on performance or efficiency? What is being changed on the ZF tranny to make it the "new" 845rfe?

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts
oh2o said:
Chrysler will be switching over from the ZF 8HP45 to the new 845RE on the V6 Charger and V6 300 early next month. This is what caused the recent "Hemi to get 8-speed in February" reports/rumors - several online sources incorrectly assumed that the "new" transmission was for the Charger/300 V8 Hemi models.
Is the 845RFE rated to handle the HEMI too, or will it be the 8HP70 that's seen in the RAM pickup for duty in the HEMI powered sedans?

·
Registered
382 Posts
ok....I'm a little bit confused by this statement in the post:
(technically, a car made today could be labelled as a 2014)
I didn't think 2014 cars would start being built until this summer (just as 2013 cars didn't start being built until summer 2012). Is 2013 going to be a shortened Model Year?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
8HP45 is good up to 450NM
8HP70 is good up to 700NM

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
chewie402 said:
ok....I'm a little bit confused by this statement in the post:

I didn't think 2014 cars would start being built until this summer (just as 2013 cars didn't start being built until summer 2012). Is 2013 going to be a shortened Model Year?
The 2013 model year has ended for the Grand Cherokee. 2014 models will start production late this month. 2013 Compass and Patriot will also end early, with 2014 models starting production in March. The new Liberty will launch in mid-May. Late September for the Ram HD 6.4L. Most of the rest of the '14 lineup will start up in July/August.

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh2o said:
The 2013 model year has ended for the Grand Cherokee. 2014 models will start production late this month. 2013 Compass and Patriot will also end early, with 2014 models starting production in March. The new Liberty will launch in mid-May. Late September for the Ram HD 6.4L. Most of the rest of the '14 lineup will start up in July/August.
oh2o, I am a wrangler fan-have had TJ,YJ,now a 2012 JKU. My question-is the 2014 wrangler also getting the 8sp transmission? and if so gas mileage and acceleration should both improve,but by how much do you think? Thanks btw Norm is pretty damn funny lol

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
chcg12 said:
oh2o, I am a wrangler fan-have had TJ,YJ,now a 2012 JKU. My question-is the 2014 wrangler also getting the 8sp transmission? and if so gas mileage and acceleration should both improve,but by how much do you think? Thanks btw Norm is pretty damn funny lol
No 8-speed scheduled for the 2014 Wrangler, may not happen until the next gen...

·
Registered
41 Posts
oh2o said:
No 8-speed scheduled for the 2014 Wrangler, may not happen until the next gen...
Thanks.Numerous sources have reported 2014 8sp for the wrangler,i thought even somewhere in these forums. i was looking forward to buying a 2014 w 8sp and then waiting to get the remodel in 2016/2017 after that. Iwish i could recall where someone said" 8sp auto in wrangler for sure in 2014" again thanks for your quick response.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
chcg12 said:
Thanks. Numerous sources have reported 2014 8sp for the wrangler,i thought even somewhere in these forums.
As of late summer it wasn't on the schedule, I'll double check when I get a chance as things can and do change.

Yeah, Norm, quite the character, enjoy having him around, fun to push his buttons from time to time (of course not intentionally) :D.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I noticed you said Liberty, and not Cherokee. Does that mean that the replacement for the KK will still be called Liberty here in the US? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks oh2o for the information!! Would the someone like myself with current 8 speed be able to see a huge difference in the chrysler made/modified zf?? Also with the Hemi 5.7 applied will it still use MDS and any word on the 0-60 time?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts