Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Consumer Reports has published a list of the most "road-trip friendly" vehicles and three Chrysler Group vehicles made the grade. In Large Cars, the Chrysler 300S and Dodge Charger, both equipped with the Pentastar V6, were the highest-rated non-hybrid vehicles while the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 was the top non-hybrid Mid-Size SUV. The selections were based on driving range. The Chrysler came in with an estimated range of 425 miles between fill-ups while the Charger came through with 420. The Grand Cherokee beat both with a 430-mile range. The top-rated vehicle in Large Cars was the Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited with a 620-mile range, but the new Avalon carries a base MSRP of $41,400, which is more than $7,000 higher than the sticker on the 300S. That translates to more than 2,000 gallons of unleaded at the Energy information Agency's estimated summer price of $3.56/gallon; more than..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
783 Posts
Where do they get that the Charger and 300 only have a range of 420-425 miles? I get nearly 400 miles on a tank driving back and forth to work. On a road trip I can get nearly 600 miles. I use an eco meter from auto meter that shows me my on demand gas mileage so I can pattern my driving habits accordingly. I have owned the car for 3 months now and am really impressed with the fuel economy that the 8 speed has gotten.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
This is a great feather in the cap of Chrysler. :) Second Place to a Hybrid is great and I assume Toyota was not the only Hybrid in the bunch. The key to longer range per tank is the size of the tank. Chrysler large cars are hard to beat.

The ECO meter is a great gadget my 2009 Challenger (4 speed auto) is now getting 21+ in NJ suburbs, trick is to get into top gear quickly, I get to 3000 rpm briskly then lift. accelerating slowly keeps you in low milage range longer. As long as I see green bars on the meter in top gear all is fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Charger with a Hemi. Last weekend I took a road trip to Harrison, MI. I burned a half a tank of gas round trip. When I got home it said I still had a driving range of over 200 miles. The round trip was over 300 miles. I averaged over 25 MPG even while cruising the freeway at 70-75 MPH.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a useless story. The only criteria was how far you can travel on a tank? Good for chrysler but it figures that CR would have such a useless story from a useless magazine. This stat doesn't mean anything only that the fuel tanks are biggest not necessarily the most efficient. I hope chrysler is aiming higher than just the biggest fuel tank.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
There was no mention how pleasant it is to travel inside the vehicle. My Challenger SE with the 4 speed trans feels limo like and I find that I do not have to raise the radio volume much for a comfortable listening level, the new ones are even better. Positive press from CR is a rare plus lately and very welcomed.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Dominator; I agree, what a ridiculous criteria, but then that's typical of CR. CR should stick with waht they do best: test and rate Depends. On a side note, beware when CR writes something positive about Chrysler.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounded pretty good, until (and I might be misunderstanding something, I don't have access to the CU article) that the big issue for them was miles per tank????

That seems like a very narrow qualifier. What about things like ride, seating comfort, climate control system, sound system, luggage capacity? Aren't these even more important in choosing a road trip car?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Let me ask this...is this road-trip vehicle article any better?

I'll reserve sharing my criticism until others have read and responded.
Holy cow that was bad. Amazingly inconsistent with rating factors and I really don't know exactly what the were trying to do. The CR report is at least coherent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CR only writes articles to promote toyota anyway. Kinda frightens me how many people believe anything these automotive haters say.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The CR article as usual contains no useful information to me. Way to rate vehicles for road-trip worthiness on steering input required over distance, driver / passenger comfort (including noise levels), and fuel economy. Simply going by largest range per tank is the way things are done anymore, I guess. I can't drive 450 miles without stopping to at least pee anyway, if not grab a bite to eat and just stretch my legs, too. That's 6 hours when you average 75 MPH.

Stratuscaster said:
Let me ask this...is this road-trip vehicle article any better?

I'll reserve sharing my criticism until others have read and responded.
I stopped reading this garbage at the same point that I stop reading other similar type of garbage: When the high-school dropout who wrote it couldn't use the word "It's" when needed and the word "its" when needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have already done three road trips with our Charger SXT Plus. It is amazingly comfortable and efficient compared to any SUV. Plus, it is a lot of fun to drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts