Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

While the international version of the Dodge Dart is usually the Fiat Viaggio, essentially a Dart with a lower-cost suspension and Fiat styling, there is apparently a new “P4” car which seems to be a Dodge Dart knockdown kit. Whether the car will be called Dart in its final destination remains to be seen; Dodge is not a global brand, but might be used in certain markets, such as Australia and South America. The P4 version of the Dart would be largely built in the United States, and sent to another country where assembly would be completed, much as Jeep Wranglers are sent to Egypt as knockdown kits today. The arrival of the P4 body code might indicate that Dodge is being re-set as an international brand, as Dodge is re-cast as a muscle brand — rather than running away from Charger, Challenger, and such, Dodge might be set..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
138 Posts
I believe many European markets also would love to get Dodge back. Hopefully it's not considered to be selected RHD markets only....

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,103 Posts
More money is fine with me. :)

·
Registered
8,746 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"as Dodge is re-cast as a muscle brand — rather than running away from Charger, Challenger, and such, Dodge might be set...."

Hard to recast yourself as a "muscle brand" when Dodge has withdrawn from all bigtime US racing series, other than NHRA.

No Dodges in the Nascar Cup series

No competitive Dodges in the Nascar NWS series

No competitive Dodges in the Nascar Truck series, despite the fact that the Dodge RAM truck is their #1 seller.

No competitive Dodges in the Nascar K & N or modified series (except for some powered by "Brand "C" spec motors)

No competitive Dodge powered sprint cars or Outlaws cars.

No competitive Dodge trucks or Dodge powered trucks in the bigtime offroad series.

No Dodge motors powering any IRL cars which is the #2 US race series after Nascar.

Spectators at these series total up to several hundred thousand most summer weekends plus millions more watching on TV. How many of them are going to be buying into Dodge being recast as a "muscle brand" when there are no Dodges to be found in major league US racing?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I think I can comfortably predict that Dart will not be sold as a Dodge in most of the world. It will be a Fiat......like Journey.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Beentherebefore said:
"as Dodge is re-cast as a muscle brand — rather than running away from Charger, Challenger, and such, Dodge might be set...."

Hard to recast yourself as a "muscle brand" when Dodge has withdrawn from all bigtime US racing series, other than NHRA.

No competitive Dodges in the Nascar Truck series, despite the fact that the Dodge RAM truck is their #1 seller.

No competitive Dodges in the Nascar K & N or modified series (except for some powered by "Brand "C" spec motors)

No competitive Dodge trucks or Dodge powered trucks in the bigtime offroad series.

No Dodge motors powering any IRL cars which is the #2 US race series after Nascar.

Spectators at these series total up to several hundred thousand most summer weekends plus millions more watching on TV. How many of them are going to be buying into Dodge being recast as a "muscle brand" when there are no Dodges to be found in major league US racing?
DART is running with Travis P.

They are Kicking butt in NHRA.

IRL has not existed since ChampCar folded up and the series Merged freeing IMS to reuse Indycar name again.

Since Nascar washed out the Identity there is not really any brand advantage to that Motorsports Entertainment series. Without Penske making Engines that series is a hard re-entry with minimal advantage over a sports commercial buy.

Dodge was never really associated with USAC or WoO it was always Mopar, but I always like when they are involved.

SCCA and Barber is a good place to get involved.

Currently the IndyLight package is out to bid for there new car, Chevy, Honda, Mazda, and a couple others have made proposal. Not heard anything from Dodge.

Now SRT did sponsor the Baltimore Event. Where Dodge would go to get that affordable muscle demographic? SCCA?

Maybe just buying NFL commercial really is the best bang for the dollar.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Beentherebefore said:

I'm taking away a different message from the "Dodge being recast as a muscle brand" statement. All seven of the racing examples cited above are predominantly US only. Active participation in most of these would mean nothing to the international stage - which was supposed to be the point of the recasting post.

There is something to be said about using Dodge's former (muscle) reputation to market in a global setting. A small amount of "American-ness" is acceptable as long as it's not crammed down their throats. This could be the mechanism and correspondingly Dodge's opportunity to finally go global as long as the marketeers don't screw it up.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
TripleT said:
Most people will remember the commercials, but not the company. Take a poll and see how many remember.

Maybe "Imported From Detroit" because it was reinforced afterward with a campaign, but the others had zero effect.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
TripleT said:
DART is running with Travis P.

They are Kicking butt in NHRA.

IRL has not existed since ChampCar folded up and the series Merged freeing IMS to reuse Indycar name again.

Since Nascar washed out the Identity there is not really any brand advantage to that Motorsports Entertainment series. Without Penske making Engines that series is a hard re-entry with minimal advantage over a sports commercial buy.

Dodge was never really associated with USAC or WoO it was always Mopar, but I always like when they are involved.

SCCA and Barber is a good place to get involved.

Currently the IndyLight package is out to bid for there new car, Chevy, Honda, Mazda, and a couple others have made proposal. Not heard anything from Dodge.

Now SRT did sponsor the Baltimore Event. Where Dodge would go to get that affordable muscle demographic? SCCA?

Yes, the Dart is running in Rally-X but is it getting it's butt kicked almost every race. You are not going to project a "performance" image if you are consistently the patsie of the racing series. Yes, they are doing well in NHRA, but that is all Mopar sponsored and labeled. Why not the same applying to USAC, sprint cars and Outlaws? IndyLight and SCCA are strictly smalltime with almost as many participants as spectators. Dodge/Mopar needs to be racing in the MAJOR US racing series to get the desired performance publicity. Frankly, as a Dodge/Mopar fan, I don't care what body they use or what motors they are providing, as long as they get out there in the most popular US racing series and mix it up with the big dogs. That means Nascar (including trucks), NHRA, IRL, Outlaws & Sprint cars, and major off road like the Dakar rally.

As far as overseas racing, I can't think of many places that a Dart could race. Maybe in some of those European Touring car series, but I'm not familiar enough with the rules. Rallys maybe? What might make a big splash is putting the Gen III Hemi into a prototype and take it to LeMans. That would take a major effort as you would really be playing with the big dogs there.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Like I said Dodge name was never used in USAC or Sprints it was MOPAR so it doesn't help a Dodge Recast.

NASCAR is a spec series and research show the branding is not getting through anymore. Win on Sunday where do I get my COT3? No correlation. They did make a effort to put some branding back but still I don't consider anything there a Dodge or Mopar they are Nascar.

When I am talking NFL buy I mean regular season, it by far the biggest sport if you are doing sport for marketing more faces is better.

No one know who wins Rally-X just who is there and they do have the biggest Name in the sport.

Indycar is by far my favorite because it really has the best racing and Aerokits next season will allow branding of the car also but I don't see Dodge fitting there more likely Alfa

I think NHRA is perfect fit for Dodge and yes they have Dodge bodied vehicles as is SCCA and other Sports car series, SRT is now involved in the Top GT class.

Involvement is Motor is exciting and fun but I don't think is needed. Honda went a long way with tuners without so much as anything other grass roots.

Casting as affordable Performance brand doesn't require anything but a good street rep.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
con383 said:
two words V8 Supercar racing. I can see a Charger racing then i will buy one ,
Are they exporting Charger down under?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
M.O.D. said:

spy pics from QUATTRORUOTE of Dart/Viaggio Hatchback
They said there would be wagon and lift gate notch back.... this looks like the wagon.

I am sure the American worker would have no problem building kits that are exported as Fiats instead of Dodge :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
TripleT said:
They said there would be wagon and lift gate notch back.... this looks like the wagon.

I am sure the American worker would have no problem building kits that are exported as Fiats instead of Dodge :)
I'd say its a notchback: angular liftgate w/ short rr-overhang. If they are gonna do a wagon (for utility) I would hope they wouldn't waiste time/money to sacrifice cargo space and usability in such manner.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Except that's pretty much what all today's "wagons" do.

Some would call it a "5-door hatchback", while the more-sedan-looking model is a "5-door liftback" or a "notchback" - a design that mimics a trunk lid.

To me, that image above is a wagon.

If you need the boxy utility, that's what minivans are for. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts