Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Dart GT, with the 2.4 liter engine and manual transmission, has been rated at 23 mpg city, 33 mpg highway, 27 combined, by the EPA. The listing is now public (thanks, Jared Kindestin).  That is one mile per gallon less than the 24/34 leaked to Allpar some time ago for the automatic-transmission version; it is possible that the manual transmission version has more aggressive gearing. The Dodge Dart’s base engine is a 2-liter Chrysler four-cylinder rated at 25/36 with stick and 24/34 with automatic; an optional 1.4 liter turbocharged Fiat engine boosts torque and gas mileage, hitting 28/41 on the Aero stick-shift, at the cost of no small measure of turbo lag. The 2.4 should be the most responsive, fastest choice, and comes only on the GT model, which also features a more sports-tuned suspension; presumably engineers tuned for performance above economy on this model.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do we know if the 2.4 Tigershark has started production yet? Will the automatic be the same Hyundai sourced unit from the other models?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Moparian said:
And another week ;) I got five on June :lol:

Mike

Reactions: Paul J. Reed

·
Registered
783 Posts
Since my 2012 Charger 3.6 w/ 8 speed has been getting 34MPG on the highway should Dodge look at putting something like that in the Dart? When the smaller V6 that has been reported becomes available would it fit in the Dart with the 9 speed? 292HP would be aswesome in a Dart!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I drive a lot. Probably 600 miles a week unless I do a trip, then it's more. And gas only recently dropped below $4.00 a gallon for regular here. This is a nice looking vehicle, but there is no way I could live with 27 MPG overall in a car. And I'll pass on the significant turbo lag or whatever it is on the 1.4 Liter high MPG version that requires premium fuel. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda and others make cars that get close to or above 50 MPG, and they use regular fuel to boot. Some plug in hybrids can get over 100 if your trip patterns match their driving cycles. I need a new daily driver but this won't even get a first look. Too bad.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
xjgary said:
I drive a lot. Probably 600 miles a week unless I do a trip, then it's more. And gas only recently dropped below $4.00 a gallon for regular here. This is a nice looking vehicle, but there is no way I could live with 27 MPG overall in a car. And I'll pass on the significant turbo lag or whatever it is on the 1.4 Liter high MPG version that requires premium fuel. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda and others make cars that get close to or above 50 MPG, and they use regular fuel to boot. Some plug in hybrids can get over 100 if your trip patterns match their driving cycles. I need a new daily driver but this won't even get a first look. Too bad.
where you het 50 from? the closes compact to that figure are hybrid/electric's

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I have a Dart with the 1.4L Turbo.

The premium fuel thing isn't really that big of a deal.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
xjgary said:
LOL really? Ford doesnt even come close to 40 MPG in the real world much less 50 MPG, the Corolla only gets 34 MPG Highway, the Civic doesnt even break 40 and NONE of them get anywhere near 40 combined. The Dart GT is the performance oriented one, they make the 2.0 Tigershark that gets 36 Highway.

·
Registered
530 Posts
xjgary said:
Just a question: What vehicle in this price range has the same combination of value and fuel economy as the Dart?

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
2.4 must be great in this car. Friend has a 2010 Caliber 2.0 CVT that is used in NYC, its brutish looks gets it the right of way and really scoots through traffic. As a passenger suspension gives a European ride (stiff) may be rough for some but its drive train is surprisingly smooth and quite. Anyhow the Dart with all its advancements has to be fantastic hit .for Chrysler.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
So here is my question. Sergio said the upcoming 200 is supposed to get 38 MPG equipped with the 4 cylinder, which sounded like it'd be the 2.4. But I'd have a hard time believing that, as I can't imagine the 9 spd will be the magic fix that would get the larger car 38 MPG. So perhaps they are planning to use the 1.4.

I am going to try and withhold complete judgement. Maybe this thing is tuned for good power and has a magical torque curve. but on paper, it doesn't sound like much. It's just when you look at the Hyundai Sonata which nails 35 high MPG out the door, presumably with the same or similar auto transmission, and an engine that shares the same roots (If I am not mistaken, Hyundai currently uses the Theta II which is the successor the the Theta - which was essentially the "world engine" for Hyndai - did I get that right?).

Whatever the case, Chrysler's current 4 cylinder engines seem to be the weakest link in the company. For what it's worth, I don't think there is any question the the Tigershark is an improvement. The highest the current 2.4 achieved was 31. So it's better, with more power, but given the rumored added expense - I wonder if this fell below the metrics they hoped to achieve.

I might add, or close with, I look forward to hearing first hand reviews. it could be that the car will be a lot of fun to drive, and that the numbers will turn out to be fine. I suspect it won't be a hard sell. That said, my personal desire continues to be a Charger with the 8 speed. And I keep reading reports suggesting the EPA numbers are fairly conservative.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Remember the lawsuits stated that Hyundais don't get even close to their ratings in the real world. A friend with a Genesis coupe said that much. Ma Mopars cars seem to meet or exceed theirs.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mike V. said:
And another week ;) I got five on June :lol:

Mike
I'll take you up on that bet.... But I am thinking the DART GT will never even see the light of day.

And if it does... they are going to just slip the Limited Suspension in and simply call it "Sport Suspension", even though it's the exact same suspension as the Limited.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
xjgary said:
If you can afford a hybrid sounds like a good choice for you.Chrysler needs a Hybrid as a fashion statement.
Fuel cost and vehicle cost affect total lifetime cost, if you are planning to drive the car till its wheels fall off than it may be a value. I put on less than 10K a year so comfort is more important than absolute best fuel economy.
Historically I prefer Chrysler products to all others and there are a lot of us right here.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:
I'll take you up on that bet.... But I am thinking the DART GT will never even see the light of day.

And if it does... they are going to just slip the Limited Suspension in and simply call it "Sport Suspension", even though it's the exact same suspension as the Limited.
Wrong. Its already in the ordering system and code guides and specifically lists sport tuned suspension with frequency damping shocks. Also the GT more than likely has more aggressive gearing that the 1.4 or 2.0 to improve its performance.

bumonbox said:
So here is my question. Sergio said the upcoming 200 is supposed to get 38 MPG equipped with the 4 cylinder, which sounded like it'd be the 2.4. But I'd have a hard time believing that, as I can't imagine the 9 spd will be the magic fix that would get the larger car 38 MPG. So perhaps they are planning to use the 1.4.

I am going to try and withhold complete judgement. Maybe this thing is tuned for good power and has a magical torque curve. but on paper, it doesn't sound like much. It's just when you look at the Hyundai Sonata which nails 35 high MPG out the door, presumably with the same or similar auto transmission, and an engine that shares the same roots (If I am not mistaken, Hyundai currently uses the Theta II which is the successor the the Theta - which was essentially the "world engine" for Hyndai - did I get that right?).

Whatever the case, Chrysler's current 4 cylinder engines seem to be the weakest link in the company. For what it's worth, I don't think there is any question the the Tigershark is an improvement. The highest the current 2.4 achieved was 31. So it's better, with more power, but given the rumored added expense - I wonder if this fell below the metrics they hoped to achieve.

I might add, or close with, I look forward to hearing first hand reviews. it could be that the car will be a lot of fun to drive, and that the numbers will turn out to be fine. I suspect it won't be a hard sell. That said, my personal desire continues to be a Charger with the 8 speed. And I keep reading reports suggesting the EPA numbers are fairly conservative.
The new 200 will probably also benefit from things like start/stop in addition to the 9 speed. The Dart will be getting the 9 speed as well and I can bet that the 1.4 and 2.0 will be at or over 40 MPG highway.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Moparian said:
The new 200 will probably also benefit from things like start/stop in addition to the 9 speed. The Dart will be getting the 9 speed as well and I can bet that the 1.4 and 2.0 will be at or over 40 MPG highway.
Think it'll also get active grille shutters and an aerodynamic underbody shield? Possibly cylinder deactivation?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts