Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Detroit News is reporting that the Chrysler Group's recent agreement to voluntarily recall certain older Jeep Grand Cherokees and Jeep Libertys was the result of a secret meeting between outgoing Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Administrator David Stickland, and CEO Sergio Marchionne. In an interview with David Shepardson, from the News' Washington Bureau, LaHood, who leaves office at the end of next week, discussed the timeline of the deal. After the opening volleys had been fired over the agency's request for a recall of 2.7 million Jeep vehicles built from 1993 to 2007, LaHood called Marchionne to set up a meeting. That meeting took place on Sunday, June 9 in the Federal Aviation Administration's offices at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. After what LaHood described as an hour-long "frank" meeting, there was an agreement to attempt to settle the matter. Chrysler engineers were dispatched to..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
993 Posts
My friend drives a 98 GC that has seen better days. Every time he comes in to work our first question is, "Did you get that trailer hitch installed yet?" We all chuckle. He says he isn't even going to bother. The GC is so beat up I can't even see the chassis supporting the hitch.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
How does the recall affect those vehicles where that may be the case? Does the owner have to fix it to a point where the 'fix' can be made?

·
Registered
993 Posts
No idea. However my friend states that if he decides to take his GC in to have the dealer install the hitch if at all possible it my increase the resale on the vehicle..........

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Odd position, forcing a company protected by bankruptcy laws, to repair the mistake of the former owner.
Reading between the lines, most if not all of the ruptured tanks could have been caused by aftermarket tow hitches.
Why force Chrysler to fix that when the owners are the ones who cheaped out to begin with?
Apparently it's now codified to not be responsible for your own actions?
A semi truck crashes into a Grand Cherokee at high speed, how does this get beyond the trucking company being responsible for that accident???

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have already seen on the bottom line of ABC news this morning that the trailer hitch fix may make the problem worse!! Maybe they should recall my 1969 Road Runner also. The tank is directly behind the rear bumper and I have to put gas in the car by pulling the license plate open to reach the filler. That can't be very safe for me!!! I don't care what you are in if you get hit by an 18 wheeler going 65 plus MPH, you are probably going to die. I'm really sick of this being news already.

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
First, the Federal government cannot order a recall on cars more than ten years old, as Bill Cawthon pointed out.

Thus, the 1970s and 1980s and 1990s cars are irrelevant. In this case, they are covered voluntarily.

"Odd position, forcing a company protected by bankruptcy laws, to repair the mistake of the former owner."

Yes, but Chrysler and GM both voluntarily assumed all those obligations, and a good thing, too. Otherwise it would be too tempting for an automaker facing a big lawsuit to just declare bankruptcy and move into a new shell.

As for ABC news... they have not covered this story with any credibility at all.

Regarding the hitches, the story mentioned one case where an aftermarket hitch was the problem. You can go to NHTSA and find the full documents with case by case analysis.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sarcasm Dave. I definitely was not serious about the Road Runner! My way of pointing out how stupid it is that this is such a big story. Chrysler showed some metal and said NO and big brother didn't like it. They should just send all current owners of those vehicles vouchers toward a new vehicle just like GM did with the side saddle pickups. End of Story.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Dr. Z said:
Yes, but Chrysler and GM both voluntarily assumed all those obligations, and a good thing, too. Otherwise it would be too tempting for an automaker facing a big lawsuit to just declare bankruptcy and move into a new shell.
Actually, bankruptcy has proven over time to shield very little. In the 1960's John Mansville, manufacturer of most of the Worlds asbestos, filed bankruptcy and came back immediately as John Mansville. The next 55 years have seen them in court to defend their product anyway, so it accomplished little. It only served to draw the litigation out over 5 decades.
The Chrysler case is most curious in that the folks causing the accidents, and installing inferior aftermarket parts all apparently received a pass at some point in the process.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sergio should be fighting this,not going to the NHTSA clandestine meeting.It makes me sick knowing that it is all about appearences.There should be no recall period.

Now Chrysler is liable for cheap Chinese aftermarket traler hitches?What has happened to the world in the last 30 years?

·
Registered
424 Posts
More the story that we don't know? Conspiracy :ninja: ? or maybe the guy locked Sergio in a non-smoking room (the man does smoke nonstop after all) or perhaps just a calculated risk? Bad PR may have been a given at that point, and if it is anything like rebates-few will go out of their way to do it.

Most of the above is tongue in cheek; still had to be cheaper somehow to do it this way.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
"There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know."

Or something is rotten in Denmark and its not Sergio.

I do see it as an unfair action against US auto workers.

·
10,408 Posts
This meeting should have happened before NHTSA went public.

I understand the need for NHTSA to appear impartial, especially after sweeping Toyota customer complaints under the rug for years; but it also owes OEMs the chance to argue their case before it goes to the public with it, especially when the ruling is so wide in scope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts